Judd Winick's "Frumpy the Clown"

Started by Mr. Big, September 29, 2012, 08:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Big

Some of you may be familiar with Judd Winick. He was one of the stars on Real World: San Francisco, created a show for Cartoon Network called The Life and Times of Juniper Lee, currently works for DC Comics (including the New 51), etc.

From 1996 to 1998 he did a newspaper comic strip called Frumpy the Clown. It's about a clown who moved in with a Jewish family. It was never explained why Frumpy dresses up as a clown. He doesn't do tricks, he's not jolly, he's not in the circus. In fact, Frumpy is incredibly cynical, and he absolutely hates circus. That said, he does love kids. He teaches at an elementary school, somehow avoiding being fired (well, until the final two weeks of the strip when he did get laid off, but I'm getting ahead of myself).

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned this is the only worthwhile work Judd Winick has ever done.

Two book collections were published in 2000. They have pretty much all the strips. It's on Amazon if you want 'em.

Dr. Insomniac

Judd Winick's left a very dark spot in my mind when it comes to his superhero work, yet I'm interested in seeing what he did before becoming mainstream. Like with that Pedro & Me book.