Your Top Favorite Animated Shows

Started by talonmalon333, October 01, 2012, 11:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Really, I don't have a single one. Because I don't like lists.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 17, 2012, 12:27:36 AM
Really, I don't have a single one. Because I don't like lists.

And I don't like giving pointless numerical scores to shows or movies or whatever the hell I review, but we all have to suck it up and conform to standards sometimes, don't we? :>

Grave

Hmm... This is going to be real hard for western cartoons.

1. The Batman
2. Spectacular Spider-Man
3. Justice League/Unlimited
4. Looney Tunes (Toons? It's been so long)
5. Batman Beyond

Despite the criticism's of The Batman I really enjoyed it. Perfect blend of action that I was looking for along with great animation. If only I can get a chance to tune into Young Justice. That might be what I'm looking for when it comes to great action along with great animation (and artwork to boot). The artwork/animation looks exactly like Under the Red Hood and that's probably the best thing I've seen thus far when you consider what I look for (in anime and cartoons)

1. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2. Samurai Champloo
3. Ghost in the Shell: SAC/2nd Gig
4. Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
5. Rurouni Kenshin/ Samurai X

The more I think about how Ed annoy's me (in both the 2004 anime and Brotherhood) the more tempted I become in bringing the series down a notch. He's not nearly as bad as he was in the 2004 anime, but his bratty nature really brings the series down a bit for me, but the other characters keeps me from doing so.

Avaitor

Quote from: Grave on January 07, 2013, 04:27:59 AM
4. Looney Tunes (Toons? It's been so long)
You're right. :)

Have you thought about giving Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes or Gargoyles a shot? The former is about as strong as Justice League or Young Justice, and the latter is was made by Greg Weisman, the head writer of Spectacular Spider-Man and YJ, and contains plenty of his best work.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Grave

Yep, seen Gargoyles, not in top 5 but definitely top 10. As far as Avengers, much like Young Justice, I haven't had much of a chance to tune in. Are Young Justice and Avengers on dvd?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Avengers has been on DVD for a while. I know that the first season has a box set but I'm not sure about the 2nd season. Either way, I'd prefer a complete series box set if that's ever made available.

I'm also not sure about Young Justice.

Avaitor

Yeah, Avengers is on DVD, as well as Netflix. I think YJ only has singles now though.

For some reason, Warner is the only company that still does singles for its shows, but at least most of their DC shows do eventually come out in season sets.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I haven't seen quite as many animated superhero shows as you guys have. However, from what I've seen, I consider Justice League the only series to come close to the level of Batman TAS.

Avaitor

Spectacular, spectacular, spidaaaaaa man!

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 07, 2013, 02:26:50 PM
I haven't seen quite as many animated superhero shows as you guys have. However, from what I've seen, I consider Justice League the only series to come close to the level of Batman TAS.

Well, in my most personal opinion, The Spectacular Spider-Man is a better show than Batman: The Animated Series, and while Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes doesn't necessarily have any episodes that are quite as great at BTAS's greatest episodes, it does have a number of its own great episodes and on the whole is a lot more consistent in maintaining its quality than BTAS (yes, I really didn't have any problems with the 2nd half of season 2 minus maybe 2 or 3 episodes at most). I also like AEMH better than Justice League (including Unlimited), but I do like Justice League quite a bit, on the whole (I'd go so far as to say that I think its on par with BTAS in terms of overall quality, as both series have plenty of hits and misses, but theirs hits are really memorable).

Don't get me wrong, I love BTAS, but I don't think of it as the end all, be all of superhero cartoons like other people do.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes are pretty great. I fully recommend watching those if you like BTAS and the DCAU.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

hobbyfan

From my youth:

Super Friends (1977-onward)
Thundarr the Barbarian
Spider-Man (1967 series)
Arabian Knights (Banana Splits)
Battle of the Planets

Modern era:

Batman: The Animated Series
Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
Gargoyles
Thundercats (1985 series)
Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 07, 2013, 03:45:59 PM
Spectacular, spectacular, spidaaaaaa man!

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 07, 2013, 04:05:06 PM
Well, in my most personal opinion, The Spectacular Spider-Man is a better show than Batman: The Animated Series, and while Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes doesn't necessarily have any episodes that are quite as great at BTAS's greatest episodes, it does have a number of its own great episodes and on the whole is a lot more consistent in maintaining its quality than BTAS (yes, I really didn't have any problems with the 2nd half of season 2 minus maybe 2 or 3 episodes at most). I also like AEMH better than Justice League (including Unlimited), but I do like Justice League quite a bit, on the whole (I'd go so far as to say that I think its on par with BTAS in terms of overall quality, as both series have plenty of hits and misses, but theirs hits are really memorable).

Don't get me wrong, I love BTAS, but I don't think of it as the end all, be all of superhero cartoons like other people do.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 07, 2013, 05:40:34 PM
Yeah, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes are pretty great. I fully recommend watching those if you like BTAS and the DCAU.

The Spectacular Spider-Man is a show that I've always been interested in. Good to hear you guys think it's quite good. I'll definitely have to check it out now. I see it doesn't have a huge amount of episodes, which sounds a bit disappointing. Though at the same time that might make it easier to get to.

Haven't seen Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes either, but I'll have to keep that one in mind as well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If I'm not mistaken, TSSM was originally meant to run for a few more seasons (or at the very least a 3rd season was planned), but for whatever behind the scenes reasons, the series got cut short. Its really obvious too, since the show never got a proper ending. I mean, it is an episodic series on the outset, but there is a continuum of events playing out in the background so in that regard its also telling a story arc, but unfortunately the show never got renewed for a 3rd season and ended on a cliffhanger. Still, the reason we love the show is because its the epitome of quality over quantity. Those 26 episodes are great, and there's not one rotten apple among them.

Avaitor

I think Greg had a 5-season plan for the show overall, plus a couple of DTVs. He at least had some very built ideas set for a third season which never came to fruition.

New blog!