Your Top Favorite Animated Shows

Started by talonmalon333, October 01, 2012, 11:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

It was because of the buyout. Which is a shame because a 65 ep run would have been perfect for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Stupid buyout. And it's not like anything has really happened ever since it occurred. Marvel characters are still at Universal, while Disney Stores and the parks just sell action figures and trades you can get anywhere else, Avengers would still have made a shitload of money without Disney's "help", there's been next-to-no merging between the two companies, etc. Hell, Cartoon Network might even get the next Avengers cartoon.

All that has really happened is that we lost one really good show, and a decently promising one, with the merger.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

The weird thing about it is them replacing Spectacular Spider Man with just another Spider Man show. And from the sound of things, that one sounds vastly inferior anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

It's pretty awful. The ratings will probably plummet when EMH vanishes from its tail end.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

That's how the industry works nowadays. Comic book characters normally don't get a show unless they have a movie come out, and they almost always run their before their next movie, so a new show can be made. Even if SSM did survive the merger, it wouldn't still be on today. We might at least have twice as many episodes as we do now, if they didn't get to hit 65, though.

Although I can't help but feel like the cancellation of SSM was in part done by Jeph Loeb, in hopes of having a Spidey to be in charge of since day 1. It would also explain why Avengers: EMH came out and finished its run so early. That was actually in development around the same time as Spectacular, and was only supposed to come out last year. What's even more crazy is you can tell how rushed the show ultimately became while watching season 2.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

At least now we know what Spidey would be like if Quesada created him.

If that isn't reason enough to want him away from the franchise, then I don't know what is.

gunswordfist

Besides the Star bros. (who got me into the show) who has seen any of Legion Of Super-Heroes?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Goldstar

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 10, 2013, 09:04:44 AM
Besides the Star bros. (who got me into the show) who has seen any of Legion Of Super-Heroes?

Ironically, Legion of Super Heroes is one of those shows that Warner Brothers just seemed to sweep under the rug and forget about right after it ended, like Shaggy & Scooby Doo Get A Clue! and Tom & Jerry Tales, both of which aired on Kids' WB around the same time. The latter at least resurfaces from time to time on Cartoon Network.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Goldstar on January 10, 2013, 09:14:06 AM

Ironically, Legion of Super Heroes is one of those shows that Warner Brothers just seemed to sweep under the rug and forget about right after it ended, like Shaggy & Scooby Doo Get A Clue! and Tom & Jerry Tales, both of which aired on Kids' WB around the same time. The latter at least resurfaces from time to time on Cartoon Network.
Yeah, I was wondering if CN ever showed it. After my jackass network tv station either never showed the final episode or had it on some timeslot I missed, I never saw the show on live tv again. I just got to see the first two DVD volumes thanks to my local library back then and that's it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

hobbyfan

I watched at least the first episode, and parts of a few others. I wasn't on board with what they did with Brainiac 5, which was a major turnoff.

Silverstar

I didn't see remaking Brainy into an android as a necessary move (after all, it's not like possessing 12th-level intelligence isn't a power in and of itself, nor is it like that can't be useful on a superhero team--Tony Stark says hi), but honestly what grated on my nerves was the nonstop trumpeting of "Brainiac 5 is gay for Superman" memes I kept getting subjected to over and over again. I don't have anything gays or slash, when it's canon and genuine and it actually makes sense, that is; when people try to force slash onto something where it clearly isn't is when it bothers me. Those people should have known that Mainstream America isn't ready for an openly gay anything on Saturday morning TV, let alone involving arguably the most iconic superhero of all time. If any of that were really going on for reals, LoS would've immediately gotten labeled "That Gay Cartoon" and been yanked off the air and replaced with reruns of Dink, the Little Dinosaur faster than one can say "Mideseason Replacement".
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Rynnec

Didn't the writers confirm Braniac 5 was gay after the show ended or something?

Silverstar

Quote from: Rynnec on January 10, 2013, 08:27:01 PM
Didn't the writers confirm Braniac 5 was gay after the show ended or something?

Hmm, I never heard that; not saying that's wrong, just that I personally have never heard that. I do know that the late Dwayne McDuffie confirmed that Static Shock's Richie Foley was indeed gay (which isn't surprising, since one of the characters he was based on the the Static comics, Rick Stone, was also gay), but on the show the character's sexual preferences were simply never disclosed.

In fact, homosexuality is certainly nothing new in the DCU/DCAU; on Superman: TAS, the character of Maggie Sawyer from the Metropolis Special Crimes Unit was a lesbian, the only sign of this that occurred on the show was in the episode "Apokolpis...Now!" where Maggie was injured in battle, her lover sat by her hospital bedside throughout much of the episode, though obviously she was never referred to as such (I naively thought the lady was Maggie's sister or something until I learned the truth), and IIRC, Batman: TAS' police officer Renee Montoya was outed in the corresponding comic series after the show ended; on TV she was just never shown dating anyone, and of course Brainy's being gay would completely contradict the JLU ep "Far From Home", wherein Brainy and Supergirl fell in love within minutes of meeting one another.

I honestly don't care one way or the other; with my unique sexual wiring (which I've divulged previously, so I won't bore you by parroting it here) I'm hardly in a position to cast stones; Brainiac 5 is a cool character and I'd like him whether he was into gals, guys, robots or sock puppets, I'm just saying that not everyone is enlightened as we are, a good chunk of the viewing public aren't ready for Superman being involved in an openly gay relationship or any kind of mainstream openly same sex relationship on kids' TV, not without it being the subject or satire or a "Very Special Episode".
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

The Shadow Gentleman

List subject to change.

11. Avatar/Korra
10. Baccano!
9. Cowboy Bebop
8. King of the Hill
7. Yu Yu Hakusho
6. Futurama
5. The Spectacular Spider Man
4. Pre-movie Spongebob (bite me)
3. Ed, Edd, n Eddy
2. Trigun
1. Batman: The Animated Series

Honorable Mentions: Warner Brothers (Looney Tunes/Animaniacs/TTA/Freakazoid!), Avengers: EMH, Death Note, Gravity Falls, Gargoyles, Evangelion, Tron Uprising, and Rocko's Modern Life.

Avaitor

New blog!