Anime Sequels

Started by Spark Of Spirit, September 10, 2015, 06:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

A new poll asks which anime series you'd most like to see a sequel to and the results are pretty varied.

1. Tiger & Bunny
2. Psycho-Pass
3. Mononoke
4. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
5. Shirobako
6. DARKER THAN BLACK
7. Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
8. Denn? Coil
9. Hell Girl
10. Space Dandy

So, what do you say? Agree? Disagree? Or maybe there are already sequels you wish to talk about. Either way, this is the thread to do it in.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Heh, ironically enough Hell Girl is the only series out of any of those that I've watched any of. I'm surprised both Big O and Outlaw Star didn't make the list.Edit: I somehow didn't see Space Dandy.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

It's important to note that this poll was specifically asking about "anime original" properties (not based on pre-existing material). If it wasn't, it would likely look much different.

I definitely agree with Tiger & Bunny, Panty & Stocking, & Space Dandy. After the disaster that was Psycho-Pass 2, I don't want any more seasons without Urobuchi's direct involvement. I haven't seen much of Shirobako (I liked what I saw, though), but it was very successful, so whether it "deserves" one or not it'll probably get a second season. Gargantia was good, but I don't really have strong feelings about giving it more (the OVAs also kinda sucked, so...). I'm surprised Hell Girl is on this since it already has like 4 seasons, but I guess it's still popular.

The biggest surprise is that Madoka Magica isn't on this list at all, but maybe a lot of people agree that Rebellion was the best place to conclude it.

Here's another list that came out a while back where fans were polled on what they felt were the most "sequel worthy" anime.

10. Sword Art Online
9. Mushi-shi
8. No Game No Life
7. Big Windup!
6. Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club
5. Senyu
4. Yona of the Dawn
3. Natsume's Book of Friends
2. Hozuki no Reitetsu
1. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

I can only address the bottom three on this list. I do not care for SAO, but it's unfathomably popular in Japan so season three is imminent. They adapted all of the Mushi-shi manga that they hadn't already with Zoku Shou and the movie, so it's unlikely they'll make more. But definitely I want a second season of NGNL. That was a damn fun show, and they have enough light novels to work with.

Interestingly, both of these polls were dominated by female voters at 80% each. I would never have guessed that Panty & Stocking was so popular with women in Japan.

...Oh who am I kidding, it's not much of a surprise at all, considering how wildly popular Gintama is with female audiences over there. :D

Foggle

I need more Space Dandy in my life. Panty & Stocking and Darker Than Black would also be very welcome.

Please no more Psycho-Pass; season 2 was bad enough.

I'm surprised people still remember Hell Girl.

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 10, 2015, 07:34:53 PM
Interestingly, both of these polls were dominated by female voters at 80% each. I would never have guessed that Panty & Stocking was so popular with women in Japan.
It's actually considered fairly feminist by Japanese standards from what I've read.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 10, 2015, 07:34:53 PM
It's important to note that this poll was specifically asking about "anime original" properties (not based on pre-existing material). If it wasn't, it would likely look much different.
I was thinking about that after my post but then I thought, "Do Outlaw Star and Big O even have manga?"
Quote from: Foggle on September 10, 2015, 07:39:24 PM
I need more Space Dandy in my life. Panty & Stocking and Darker Than Black would also be very welcome.

Please no more Psycho-Pass; season 2 was bad enough.

Hey! Hell Girl was!..yeah

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 10, 2015, 07:43:49 PM
I was thinking about that after my post but then I thought, "Do Outlaw Star and Big O even have manga?"

Outlaw Star was actually based on a manga. Big O was anime-original (though it does in fact have a manga as well), but it also was never very popular in Japan, and this was a poll by japanese readers, so it's not much of a surprise it didn't rank.

It's actually considered fairly feminist by Japanese standards from what I've read.

I can see that. It's an arguably feminist show, even by western standards.

I'm still surprised it got as many seasons as it did in the first place.

Spark Of Spirit

I wouldn't mind a Big-O reboot without the dumb stuff. But it's done so it is what it is.

Tiger & Bunny would be near the top for me. It had that old school anime feel like Patlabor that just has you wanting to watch another adventure and another. The series definitely deserves more.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 10, 2015, 08:26:09 PM
Outlaw Star was actually based on a manga. Big O was anime-original (though it does in fact have a manga as well), but it also was never very popular in Japan, and this was a poll by japanese readers, so it's not much of a surprise it didn't rank.
I'm not surprised that Big O has a post series manga. I am a bit surprised that it's not popular in Japan but then again I hate probably all giant robot anime that's popular in Japan.
[/quote]

I'm still surprised it got as many seasons as it did in the first place.
[/quote]I assumed it was like a 26 episode series or something. idk It was something I watched on Starz or something. I did like it more than I should have but still..

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 10, 2015, 06:58:05 PM
1. Tiger & Bunny
I'm still surprised that a T&B Season 2 hasn't been made yet.  The show was very popular and the merchandise seems to have sold really well.

Daikun

Daikun