JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 14, 2012, 02:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Shadow Gentleman

Spark Of Spirit

I wish more modern manga learned from 80s action and horror movies, old pulp characters, and early manga.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Film Okuyasu looks sad to be alive.

gunswordfist

Omg, that BILLION looks like a watermark. They don fucked up one of my top 5 favorite Jojo costumes.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Viz Media's Season 1 Blu-Ray announcement

Are you seeing this, Warner Bros.? THIS is how you give anime a proper release.

gunswordfist

Oh shit, I thought that was a manga cover!!

LumRanmaYasha

The clips I've seen of this movie look promising. The Stands in particular look pretty good and mesh well with the aesthetics of the film. I hope this film gets licensed like the Kenshin films were, or I can at least have the fortune of catching it on a flight at some point.

Painted Outlaw

Imagine missing the point this much, lol. I almost shudder to think of what'll happen if/when Toonami gets to Part 4 and Kira enters the picture.

Rynnec

Apparently these people aren't aware that you can enjoy something while still pointing out its flaws and not getting bent out of shape about it. Yeah JoJo's has problems with female characters, but I won't let that stop my enjoyment of it, especially since it was written in a much different era.

QuoteRunning with the rule of cool can only get you so far with a TV show.

Quotejust enjoy the visual and heavy action for ninety minutes, but a TV show has a longer run time and so it needs more substance than just being cool and flashy. That's kind of what I felt like when watching Black Lagoon too. [.quote]

Ugh. This is exactly the kind of mentality I can't stand. Those shows are good precisely because they're so cool and flashy while having appealing characters that drive the overall plot. If anything they provide substance because their style is so well-executed. I don't know what this person wants out of a show, but apparently being entertaining is not enough. :??:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I stopped posting or even reading any of the TZ Toonami threads (or any TZ threads in general) when I realized the common pattern of every discussion in every thread devolving into tripe about how some scene in one show or another deeply offended someone as some social, cultural, sexist, religious, or even political slander. It always gets to the point where people seem to discuss that aspect of a series more than the show itself, and most of these people seem to be woefully ignorant of some of the cultural subject matter which they comment on, making for some hilariously hypocritical statements on there.

I'm still baffled by that one conversation about HXH where some people found Gon to be a bad and unlikable character not for any of the genuine reasons intended for the audience to question his morality, but of all things because he made a personal choice about not wanting to find out his birth mother's identity because of his attachment to his aunt as his adoptive mother.

And then there was someone who complained about Joseph being racist toward Japanese people despite the fact that this is a series written by a Japanese man living in Japan....go figure that one out.

So, yeah, kind of got tired of posting there when it became clear that not too many people were all that interested in discussing any of the actual shows themselves beyond either complaining about them or using them as examples of offensive social commentary. It says a lot that the shows that have the least to complain about relative to the others, like HXH, barely got any discussion at all.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on September 01, 2017, 08:22:13 PM
Running with the rule of cool can only get you so far with a TV show.

Quotejust enjoy the visual and heavy action for ninety minutes, but a TV show has a longer run time and so it needs more substance than just being cool and flashy. That's kind of what I felt like when watching Black Lagoon too. [.quote]

Ugh. This is exactly the kind of mentality I can't stand. Those shows are good precisely because they're so cool and flashy while having appealing characters that drive the overall plot. If anything they provide substance because their style is so well-executed. I don't know what this person wants out of a show, but apparently being entertaining is not enough. :??:
Pretty much.
I also don't think being in a different era is a good excuse for lack of female characters BUT I'm pretty sure Part 3 is written for teenage boys and on that note, it does get a pass.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on September 01, 2017, 08:22:13 PM
Apparently these people aren't aware that you can enjoy something while still pointing out its flaws and not getting bent out of shape about it. Yeah JoJo's has problems with female characters, but I won't let that stop my enjoyment of it, especially since it was written in a much different era.
Yes. The internet likes to think in extremes, and while that does actually make sense for shit like politics, it shouldn't apply to media unless it's intended as some form of propaganda. Some folks just don't understand how you can be critical of something while also enjoying other aspects of it. JJBA has problems with its treatment of women, but so does literally every other fictional work from the time period in which the manga was originally written, as well as many heavily-praised things made today (especially anime). It's not like any of their examples are particularly egregious or at all worse than shit that happens in modern kids' shows like Naruto or whatever.