Full Metal Panic!

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 28, 2010, 07:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, if this turns out to be one big crappy fanfiction, then I should probably be glad that no main characters seem to appear in it, since I'd hardly want a crappy spin-off story to mess around with and potentially fuck up anything that the main story-line did right with the main characters, though general fan speculation is that you'll learn more information about the status of other main characters (assuming they are still alive, which I won't confirm only because I don't want to spoil it for anyone here since none of you have read the ending to the main story) in later entries in the series. Personally I'm fine with the main story the way it ended, so if this new spin-off turns out to be crap I can just ignore it, and if it does anything that fucks around with the FMP mythos too much I can always just consider it non-canon.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There is actual some potential good news that has come about thanks to the release of FMPA. Gatoh was on some live TV panel of some sort answering questions from fans, and one thing that came up was that FMPA totally sold out on its first print (breaking any records from the previous light novels) and is already scheduled for a reprint. The 2nd novel in the series is supposed to release later this Winter, so if the sales go good for that one as well then it may solidify the chances of a 4th season of the anime happening, being that it would show that there is enough popularity for FMP in the market for an anime to be profitable.

Avaitor

Oh, nice. That sounds pretty good then.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I'm finally going to finish reading the books over winter break. It's happening!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of FMP, the 2nd volume of the spin-off novel series is being released this month in Japan. I haven't even read the first volume, but seeing as how it only involved side-characters from the original series, I'm not sure I'd be that interested (also, its by a different author, as you may know). I just thought it was worth mentioning, though.

As for the final novel (its really 2 volumes but they were released within the same month and comprise one bigger volume, anyways), I still feel that it was a satisfactory ending to the series. My only real problem with it is really more of a problem that I had with that convoluted sci-fi plot twist in volume 10, which I'm still not to keen on, but for what its worth I think that the story managed to wrap up that bit in a nice way without having the rest of the story fall to crap for it. And of course everything else going on in the final battle is just plain epic. Its a great climax. I'd be great if it were animated, but one can only dream about such things.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, the 3rd volume of that spin-off series is supposed to be releasing this month. I have no idea of the series itself is any good or not since it has yet to receive an English translation of any kind (at least not that I'm aware of), but what I have heard is that the spin-off novels have been selling surprisingly well (somewhere in the millions according to most sources), and so have the last 2 volumes of the main series. Shouji Gatoh is also supposed to be making an "announcement" of some kind at some upcoming event (I'm not sure what or when it is, to be honest), and due to the success of the novels people are speculating a 4th season for the FMP anime will be announced. I myself believe that since it hasn't already happened people are being a bit too hopeful, but I myself an really hopeful for a new anime announcement. It'd be really great to see the 2nd half of the story adapted into animated form, especially since the manga is almost done adapting the story-line, itself (and to be honest its been done pretty well from what I've read of it; I kind of hope that if there is a future anime, it bases itself off of the Sigma manga).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, since Foggle brought up the idea of doing that FMP retrospective, I thought that'd make a good enough excuse for me to start re-watching the series from scratch. I'm going to be starting with season 1 of the anime and posting my thoughts on each arc as I re-watch it, including what I like about it as well as my critiques about it, and maybe I'll relate it to future events in the series but then again I may want to avoid spoilers for now.

I'll probably start by re-watching the first episode tonight.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've re-watched the first few episodes. I notice that the animation is kind of choppy and the OST for this series is pretty weak, but the English voice acting holds up as well as ever, and I still like the general look of this anime, as generic as it may be.

Gauron is also still as bad-ass as I remember, so there is that. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm about half-way through re-watching season 1 of the anime. Admittedly Gonzo's adaptation has more problems than I initially realized, and its definitely the weakest season of any of the anime seasons, but I do still like it since I just like FMP in general, and there is a quality to the balance between drama and humor in the first season that no other part of the series has, since Fumoffu is purely focused on comedy whereas TSR is purely focused on drama and action, and the later novels are equally dark, so I still find the first season to have its value beyond its numerous flaws.

Foggle

As you know, I hate the story arc with that huge AS (its name escapes me at the moment) and some of the filler episodes, but I still love season 1 for the most part. If only for Gauron.

TSR does have some school comedy near the beginning and Mr. Gates' antics are often darkly humorous, but yeah, it's a lot more dramatic than Gonzo's series.

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on May 28, 2012, 11:32:05 PM
TSR does have some school comedy near the beginning and Mr. Gates' antics are often darkly humorous
And don't forget the bonus episode.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 28, 2012, 11:36:07 PM
And don't forget the bonus episode.
Of course! I love that one, especially the pig kiss scene.

Avaitor

Man, I gotta rewatch the show myself. I'll have to do that after I start up Mad Men on Netflix.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, if you ever feel interested enough to see how the story carries out after what the anime covers and don't feel like having to read through all of the novels, the Sigma manga is a pretty damn good adaptation that's worth checking out. Its still a lot of reading, but it moves faster since its in comic form rather than having full text to have to describe everything.

Foggle

You should read the Continuing On My Own novel, though. It's amazing.