Full Metal Panic!

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 28, 2010, 07:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

From a technical standpoint it doesn't look as impressive as TSR, but it's a lot better than I expected from Xebec, and it seems to be at least as good as season 1 and Fumoffu if not better. That said, I would be excited for this even if it looked like shit. Can't wait to see COMO and BOMF animated! :swoon: I really hope Sentai licenses this since Chris Patton refuses to work with Funi.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That footage actually looks pretty good. I'm cautiously optimistic for this to be a good adaptation of the rest of the story.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Foggle on July 01, 2017, 07:12:21 PM
From a technical standpoint it doesn't look as impressive as TSR, but it's a lot better than I expected from Xebec, and it seems to be at least as good as season 1 and Fumoffu if not better. That said, I would be excited for this even if it looked like shit. Can't wait to see COMO and BOMF animated! :swoon: I really hope Sentai licenses this since Chris Patton refuses to work with Funi.
Funimation was hosting the FMP panel at AX, so it's likely that the new anime is going to be licensed by them.  Hopefully they can figure something out to get Patton back.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd still rather have FUNi get this one than Sentai. While the lack of Chris Patton will suck since I'm a fan of his portrayal in the dub, the actual quality of the English voice acting and script will be far better in FUNi's hands, and of course they will always include the option for the original Japanese audio with English subtitles. Beyond that, though, I can also trust them to come out with much more reasonably priced Blu-Ray sets than any other company in the industry.

On another note, I'll also be sad to not have Mike Kleinhenz reprise his role as Kalinin in the dub, seeing as how he has sadly passed away since the dub for TSR. :'(

Rynnec

Quote from: VLordGTZ on July 01, 2017, 07:57:48 PM
Quote from: Foggle on July 01, 2017, 07:12:21 PM
Funimation was hosting the FMP panel at AX, so it's likely that the new anime is going to be licensed by them.  Hopefully they can figure something out to get Patton back.

Patton was in the dub for Drifters, so he's probably worked something out with Funi if that's any indication.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 01, 2017, 08:43:12 PM
On another note, I'll also be sad to not have Mike Kleinhenz reprise his role as Kakinin in the dub, seeing as how he has sadly passed away since the dub for TSR. :'(
Same. I couldn't help but feel slightly down when I saw Kalinin in the trailer.

Quote from: Rynnec on July 01, 2017, 10:43:32 PM
Patton was in the dub for Drifters, so he's probably worked something out with Funi if that's any indication.
This is very good!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Basically one film for each novel that was adapted into the first season then. It would've been cool if they completely reanimated them, but compilation films are still a good way to get people up to speed with the story before the new show.

Spark Of Spirit

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Full Metal Panic is Back, bitches! :joy:

The season premiere was excellent and it doesn't waste a single second. Seriously, if you feel rusty on the previous seasons you'll want to go ahead and re-watch all of the main story content because this anime picks up right where TSR left off and gives no fucks about wasting time on a recap (which just goes to show that this is already doing everything right in my book). In this regard, despite not being done by KyoAni this time, Invisible Victory really does feel A LOT like TSR, both tonally and stylistically, which is a VERY GOOD thing.

Overall, this will probably end up tying with Megalobox as my favorite anime of the season if both manage to maintain the excellent level of quality which they premiered with.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Man, the pacing is on point, here. It really plays out just like how I imagined when I read this material an entire decade ago (still hard to believe that it has been that long).

It's at times like this that I'm a bit bummed that Foggle isn't all that active online anymore. I'm happy that he's moving on with his life, but I would've loved to discuss this show with him like we used to since he was also such a big fan. If only this came out a few years earlier....

At any rate, my only gripe so far is the out of place CG, but that isn't anything new for the series as it has literally been there since the beginning. I just wish that they'd rely on it a bit less than they do here.