What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Hey, so what cartoons are people watching lately?

As of late, I've only really been keeping up with the CN shows and some of Toonami (mainly just Jojo, Gundam, and HXH, but only the middle is new to me and I'll sometimes leave it on early for DB Kai), and occasionally putting an episode of Courage on before I go to bed. I only have a couple of episodes left before I'm done, and I can't reiterate how happy I am to have the whole series on DVD.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

FIM, Wabbit, and Milo Murphy, are all I'm really keeping up with. Been re-watching some Courage and Dexter, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Only keeping up with South Park, JoJo's, and Dragon Ball Super at the moment. Once the former finish their seasons and the latter finishes its current arc I'll probably take a hiatus from watching stuff until school's out and I've graduated.

gunswordfist

Hit them books hard, Lum! I watch Jojo Part 1 on CR whenever CN shows an episode, new Jojo Part 4 and a The Boondocks Season 1 episode every blue moon. I want to find a kid's comedy to watch but Netflix has slim pickings when it comes to the big 3.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Hulu may be a better investment in that regard, since they have some Nick and Cartoon Network shows. Their CN shows include most of their newer stuff, Dexter's Lab, and Samurai Jack.

Plus, their kids shows are ad-free.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been keeping up with South Park, JoJo's, Dragon Ball Super, and Yuri on Ice so far, as well as the English dub of HXH on Toonami.

I occasionally watch episodes of Gintama, and plan to play catch-up with Archer soon.

Currently South Park is my favorite of these shows airing, much like last season, and I feel that it's going through another set of golden years like it did back during seasons 3-8 when nearly every episode was a hit. The continuous story-line structure actually suits the show surprisingly well, and I give Trey and Matt props for trying something new and risky like this so late into the show's production when an episodic formula would have been safer and easier to stick with.

JJBA is of course as fun of a show as ever, and Dragon Ball Super has improved massively from its incredibly bad start with the current storyline being the best thing to come out of the franchise since the original manga ended its run. It's still heavily flawed, to be sure, but as a hardcore fan I still find a lot to like here. It makes me hopeful for the future of this franchise, more than anything else.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, if we're putting anime down then I would also be watching DB Super (until this arc is done), JoJo, Saiki K, and Haikyu. Since they'll all be done soon, I probably won't be watching any soon enough.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I wanted to see what you guys were up to, since I haven't had a whole lot of time to watch much either. I'm even seriously behind on the live-action shows I keep up with (the CW DC shows and Ash vs. Evil Dead). I feel bad about not keeping up with as much as I used to, but time and energy has seriously become an issue.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I will start Super once I get my hands on Battle Of The Gods and Resurrection Of F. I don't know what I will do for new shows after that. Part 4 is pretty much it for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 06, 2016, 12:41:55 PM
I will start Super once I get my hands on Battle Of The Gods and Resurrection Of F. I don't know what I will do for new shows after that. Part 4 is pretty much it for me.

If you're getting into Super, watch the two movies and then skip to episode 28 of the show, which picks up where Resurrection F left off. Everything before that is just a lesser and drawn out retelling of the movies, so you aren't missing anything worthwhile.

Avaitor

Check out the lucky motherfucker who got season 1 of Dragon Ball at WalMart this weekend!

They also have FLCL and the first One Piece volume, and I almost picked up the latter, since I was thinking of giving it another shot. But DB is top priority.

Pretty much all of my Black Friday scores were animated, between WalMart and Best Buy-

-The first 2 Kung-Fu Panda movies on Blu for $4 each
-Season 6 of Archer for $7
-The Tom & Jerry/Jonny Quest movie for $2
-And a Cartoon Cartoons shirt for $10 at Hot Topic

I could get KFP 3 for $9, and more Archer seasons for the same price, but I'll save those for another time. And I was disappointed to not find The Good Dinosaur for a good price. Still, can't complain about what I got.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on November 25, 2016, 10:08:15 PMCheck out the lucky motherfucker who got season 1 of Dragon Ball at WalMart this weekend!

They also have FLCL and the first One Piece volume, and I almost picked up the latter, since I was thinking of giving it another shot. But DB is top priority.

Pretty much all of my Black Friday scores were animated, between WalMart and Best Buy-

-The first 2 Kung-Fu Panda movies on Blu for $4 each
-Season 6 of Archer for $7
-The Tom & Jerry/Jonny Quest movie for $2
-And a Cartoon Cartoons shirt for $10 at Hot Topic

I could get KFP 3 for $9, and more Archer seasons for the same price, but I'll save those for another time. And I was disappointed to not find The Good Dinosaur for a good price. Still, can't complain about what I got.

Nice! :thumbup:

Though in retrospect, I feel like I got jipped for buying season six of Archer myself at roughly three times the price of what you paid for it. :imnothappy:

I've been meaning to collect the Blue Brick DB sets at some point in time. I'd also collect DBZ, but I don't want those notoriously bad Orange Brick sets due to the cropping, and the Dragon Boxes are fairly hard to come by these days, and incredibly expensive to boot.

As for One Piece, you'd probably be better off with the manga, anyways. The anime is well-done early on and I'd say that it's a pretty decent adaptation of the manga for roughly the first 200 episodes or so, but then Toei's practices get ridiculous from that point on and the pacing goes to complete shit. I will say that I really do enjoy OP's Japanese voice cast, and FUNimation's English dub is really well done and has a lot of effort and respect for the series put into it. The OST is also really strong, IMO. But ultimately, aside from a few key episodes here and there, most of the anime is pretty atrocious from the CP9 saga and onward due to poor scheduling on Toei's part, leading to many rushed episodes of poor quality in terms of both animation and direction.

The manga on the other hand has none of these problems, and the 3-in-1 omnibi additions are very cheap and affordable so long as you don't mind the paper being made out of somewhat cheaper material. Either that or you could just as easily read One Piece online.

Avaitor

Yeah, I think I'll just get around to reading OP then, probably just online when I get the chance. I'll check our other WalMart later to see if I can find more DB blue boxes or more anime that's on sale tomorrow.

New blog!

Avaitor

Andrea Romano is retiring.

I find it funny to see The Boondocks listed as a children's cartoon, but this is otherwise a decent article. None of these works would have been the same without her voice direction.

New blog!