What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Good choices! I need to try and finish a rewatch of Batman for the millionth time.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I remember really enjoying Eek, but yeah, it seems like the series has faded away from public consciousness in recent years. Although at the trivia nights I've been going to lately, we had a question about it during a Fox cartoons round (it was mostly about their adult animation, although they used The Tick's theme song as a "name the theme song" question), which surprised me. I'd like to check it out again some day.

And B:TAS sure is great. I plan to rewatch that after I'm done with my BtVS rewatch, which should be happening soon after I find wherever I put my last season set during this move.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

FoxKidsLover16

The past few days, I have been rewatching Animaniacs on Netflix and I still love that show so much. It's one of my favorite comedies of all time.

Also rewatched an episode of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show on Netflix. It's corny and cheesy, but honestly. That's why I love it. I tend to love shows that are corny and cheesy and Mario is one of my favorites when it comes to that. I wouldn't say it's good, but it's definitely enjoyable if you're into that kind of stuff in my opinion.

I'm also rewatching Hey Arnold! to get ready for The Jungle Movie. When it comes to Nickelodeon shows, this and SpongeBob are the ones I keep going back to. The show still holds up very well. I'm watching a half hour of the show a day and I started Monday. In my opinion, the show got better as the years went on, but the first season is still very good. When it comes to 90s Nickelodeon shows, this and Rocko are the two I instantly think of when it comes to Nicktoons that have aged really well.

Also was watching some Fox Kids shows earlier today, because I had the urge to. I watched Bobby's World, Power Rangers, Digimon, X-Men, and Spider-Man.

Looking back, Bobby's World was pretty simple, but pleasant and enjoyable. I had a smile on my face when rewatching it. Not amazing, but like I said, pleasant and enjoyable. Also, Uncle Ted was a great character. Time for some noogies

Power Rangers doesn't really hold up that well, as it's pretty corny and cheesy. Not to mention, way too over the top at times. However, I enjoy it because of that. Just like the Mario cartoon

X-Men and Spider-Man are fun action cartoon. I wouldn't say they hold up as well as Batman: The Animated Series, but they are still solid shows that tell solid stories with likable characters.

I could barely sit through Digimon though. I never liked that show honestly. No offense to the people that grew up with the show and enjoyed it though. It's just not my thing.

Avaitor

I mentioned before that I have The Brave and the Bold as a last-minute show, something I watch before I go to sleep and don't want to overbinge on my night time shows, so I generally only watch an episode or two at a time. Well, I ended up watching the back half of season 1 over the course of a couple of nights. :sweat:

It's really a good show though, and finds its footing pretty quickly. I love how it has fun with silver age traditions, while it isn't too mean about anything. There's love and a respectful amount of self-awareness going on. I can't say that I love every episode (I always found the Music Meister episode underwhelming, and I still do), but at its best, there's so much to love.

But TBATB only places second for me when it comes to Batman series. I also started my rewatch of B:TAS last night. None of the first few episodes are perfect, but I do feel that Timm, Dini and co find a good balance even at the very beginning. The show takes itself seriously, but has a solid sense of humor to boot, and I like the origin stories for the Scarecrow and Poison Ivy. Yet it's going to take a couple more times to find the right spirit for the Joker.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

TB&TB succeeds when it stops being self-conscious and embraces and uses the Silver Age style to its fullest. It does that surprisingly early in its run.

Still disappointed that they ended it at 65 episodes. There was plenty more they could have done.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I found a rare, never-before-seen picture of the Totally Spies creators.

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

I didn't ask for too much this birthday, as a combination of getting older and having a trip to Europe to look forward to in a couple of weeks. But I did ask for one set from my mom- Porky Pig 101. I've put a few shorts in, and while I can see why some fans are annoyed with a couple of the restorations, I'll give Warner the benefit of the doubt, since this is the first big classic cartoon set they've done in a while. I'm really happy that it's made, and I have a great outlet to watch some of these wonderful shorts again.

On top of that, my girlfriend surprised me with a DVD of A Goofy Movie. I'm surprised that this hasn't been upgraded yet, but apparently it's not even in HD yet- the El Capitan Theatre recently showed it, and used said DVD! It's especially surprising since the movie seems to be on an upswing in popularity right now. I'm seeing a lot of Powerline shirts, and at least in this area, it's becoming a popular Halloween costume to be Roxanne with Max or Stacy. It makes sense, since the 90's are really in right now, and this is SUCH a 90's movie.

It's also a good one. The jokes still land, and the characters are still fun. Even Paulie Shore is solid as Bobby. We also enjoyed the Goof Troop episode included in it. Although it reminded me that if the movies were missing anything, it's Peg and Pistol.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I was thinking, when was the last time we had a major controversy or media outrage regarding a cartoon's content? Like back in the 90s when parents or religious groups got mad at Simpsons, South Park, Beavis and Butthead, and whatever? Something so big that newspapers and magazines had to report it?

LumRanmaYasha

I didn't even know about this until recently so I wouldn't call it a "big" controversy, but The Loud House apparently sparked some backlash from conservative groups for having an openly gay couple who're parents to Lincoln's best friend be recurring characters.

Dr. Insomniac

It's been something I've had on my mind for the past two days, how the media no longer bats an eyelash at cartoons, books, videos, or whatever. How we don't get one of Pat Robertson's friends making an hour-long documentary detailing why insert-show-here is actually a mark of the devil, or congressmen badly mispronouncing a cartoon's name when discussing how it's tormenting the youth. Whenever someone gets angry over a cartoon's content, it's usually from some easily irritable kid on social media instead of a modern-day Jerry Falwell or Mary Whitehouse, and I'm not sure what to think about that. Is it a sign that animation's given more freedom than it ever has before, or an indication that it and other forms of entertainment have become complacent and no longer shock or challenge moral guardians?

gunswordfist

Cartoon controversies usually just go to die on social media these dies.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 23, 2017, 11:54:50 AM
It's been something I've had on my mind for the past two days, how the media no longer bats an eyelash at cartoons, books, videos, or whatever. How we don't get one of Pat Robertson's friends making an hour-long documentary detailing why insert-show-here is actually a mark of the devil, or congressmen badly mispronouncing a cartoon's name when discussing how it's tormenting the youth. Whenever someone gets angry over a cartoon's content, it's usually from some easily irritable kid on social media instead of a modern-day Jerry Falwell or Mary Whitehouse, and I'm not sure what to think about that. Is it a sign that animation's given more freedom than it ever has before, or an indication that it and other forms of entertainment have become complacent and no longer shock or challenge moral guardians?

I think it's complacency on the part of moral guardians themselves. I think cartoons, especially those for kids, are still pushing the boundaries of the stories and subject matter they can tackle, but after the likes of South Park and [adult swim], there's really little left that can shock the media watchdogs.

gunswordfist

Hopefully more pushing cartoons in the right direction and less South Park shit.

Avaitor

I just thought about something- does anyone actually watch Squidbillies?

It's been on for about as long as Aqua Teen had its original run, but it doesn't seem to garner any kind of response other than "oh, that's a thing?"

New blog!