What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Hard to say. TU would be interesting, considering the talent and money behind it., and I do think it's underrated. I can't really think of anything off the top of my head, though. At least something I'm pretty sure you've already seen.

Is there anything you've been procrastinating about watching?

LumRanmaYasha

Well, I'm assuming you want something relatively short to watch. Personally I think episodic reviews of shows are also more interesting when the subject is an action/drama series, so I'm reluctant to recommend you any comedies (I will though, and  if you really haven't watched King of the Hill yet get on that STAT  ;)).

Assuming you haven't already watched these shows, I'd suggest:

Gun X Sword - A personal favorite of mine. Think Trigun + Giant Robots to start with, although Van is a very different character than Vash. I consider it the "fourth" space western, even though it was made in the early 2000's, because it's got the same kinda feel they have plus it's just a solid, high-quality senin series. People have complained that the plot and basic story have been done before, and I'd say in some respects that's true, but overall the execution manages to overshadow most of the familiar elements of the series, and I'd definitely say it's worth anyone's time at least for one run.

The Slayers - Both a nostalgic and top favorite for me personally, and in fact one of the first shows to introduce me to anime series outside that which aired on Toonami back in the day. Now, this is a long franchise. Not as long as most long running shonen series or anything (I'm also not sure whether Slayers is shonen or senin either, but a good show is a good show so who cares), but overall counting all 5 series it's length is 104 episodes. You could easily just watch the first series to start with though, which is only 26 episodes. Anyway, Slayers is fun at it's purest form. You aren't going to get a deep plot or a buttload of drama or anything like that. Slayers likes to be silly and have fun. Yes, it gets serious, there are moments that are supposed to and should be taken seriously, but at the end of the day the whole point of the show is to have a good time and enjoy the ride, not the destination. And it keeps being fun, and enjoyable, and downright hilarious even, while still managing to have engaging and somewhat serious storylines, in each series. If you haven't checked it out, I think you'd enjoy it. It deserves it's cult status in my book.

Transformers Prime - I only watch it irregularly, but it's a pretty good action show and installment in the franchise. Even though I personally never had much of any interest in the franchise before, this series still managed to interest me and get me to watch it from time to time on the Hub. I think it'd be a show worth reviewing.

Durarara! - Yeah, I know you didn't care for Baccano!, and this is a weaker series than that in a few respects in my personal opinion, but it's also quite different from Baccano!, in the sense that aside from a few stylistic elements, the two shows really have nothing in common. In any case, it's an interesting series start to finish. While the main plot never truly got resolved, the series still produced memorable characters and moments, and had a more thoughtful plotline than I was expecting. It's certainly very slow which might turn you off from it in some ways, but I'd say it's also a very good show and worth at least one watch.

Azumanga Daioh - A slice of life comedy, but easily the best slice of life comedy anime I've ever seen. Just watch it.

Ugly Americans - A funny show, really, and a worthy companion to South Park while it lasted.

Fate/Zero - I haven't watched much of it, but it's very, very good.

Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated - The best Scooby series ever made. Yeah it had that annoying love triangle in the first half of the first season, but that goes away, and the second half of the first season and the second season were honestly quite intense, and the mysteries were actually more interesting than what you'd expect from the previous installments of the franchise. Really just a great show overall.

Duck Dodgers - The best Looney Tunes television show ever made period. Succeeded at preserving the spirit of the characters, and the fun of the franchise, while still being it's own thing. A blast beginning to end.

A Gundam series? - I'm not very experienced with the franchise, but it seems you haven't seen at least some of them either. I'd personally recommend Gundam 00 since I've actually watched that one and it's also very entertaining, but I'm just throwing out the franchise in general out there as a suggestion for you.  :sweat:

Well...that's all I can think of that you've probably haven't already watched that isn't also super long and probably like. Now, if we're talking about as series that I'm not sure whether you'd like it or not, there's always my favorite show in the universe Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, which is very much a love it or hate it series from my experience (and also has elements to it that don't sit well with some people). If you want to watch it, go for it. I love it and will always love it, and I'm aware of it's strengths and flaws very thoroughly. Which is why I know that there is no way to predict whether someone ends up enjoying it or not. If you want to check it out, be wary and warned. It's a comedy anime that pulls no punches. It pulls nosehairs.  ;)

EDIT: Oh, I second (third?) that you watch Tron: Uprising. It's quite great.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 27, 2013, 11:04:07 PM
Durarara!

Ugly Americans

Fate/Zero

Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated

Duck Dodgers

Oh, I second (third?) that you watch Tron: Uprising. It's quite great.
I second all of these.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

LumRanmaYasha

The Shadow Gentleman

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I definitely should watch Archer, I don't think I'd do a very good job of writing entries about comedy. I just suck at it, to be blunt. I mean I'd literally have nothing to say other than trying to explain why every episode is funny in trying to analyze it....which isn't funny, or entertaining. So in terms of my writing ability, I'd probably do best with an action show with elements of drama to it. On that note, I'm leaning mostly towards Tron: Uprising, so far, but I'll still listen to any other suggestions until the end of the weekend, and then hopefully I can start these entries by next Monday.

Avaitor

Yeah, I should probably get around to Tron: Uprising myself, but lately I haven't been watching that many cartoons.

Oh, The Secret Saturdays is another one I'd consider. That's something I've been wanting to watch in full myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

What's the general consensus on Secret Saturdays overall as a show, based on what you've heard?

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 27, 2013, 11:28:21 PM
What's the general consensus on Secret Saturdays overall as a show, based on what you've heard?
Decent, better than a lot of the action shows CN has aired in the past few years which aren't related to DC, but still not necessarily a Gargoyles or Avatar: TLA. But it's not like it needs to be, right?

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

A rewatch of Young Justice to see what worked and what didn't.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 27, 2013, 11:32:14 PM
A rewatch of Young Justice to see what worked and what didn't.
A little recent, but not a bad idea.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Oh, shoot. Totally forgot about recommending The Secret Saturdays. Yeah, that show is awesome. Unfortunately, the only way you'd be able to watch it legally is through Boomerang, since the DVD's only went up to the middle of the first season. Still, it's a show I'd recommend to anyone wanting a good action cartoon, and unlike most short lived action cartoons these days, The Secret Saturdays is well-paced, and has a very satisfying ending. I'm honestly very sad at how underrated it is, because it really was a really well done series and should've lasted longer than it did.

Personally, I like it more than Avatar honestly. But it certainty isn't a Gargoyles, but c'mon. That's a level of excellence not many shows have been able to reach.

Avaitor

I'd put TSS up there with American Dragon, myself. Strong characters, solid ideas, but never truly got to to live up to their potential.

New blog!