What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstar

The Weekenders was never a favorite of mine, but it was OK for what it was. It was really like an animated Seinfeld (I know several shows make that claim, but Weekenders genuinely came off like a cartoon Seinfeld for tweens to me). I remember getting kind of bored with it after the first few episodes (as I'm generally not into typical tweencom plots), but I haven't seen the show in a while, so I don't know how I'd take to it now.

Recess just burned itself out early. The Hogan's Heroes with kids shtick became stale in short order, and by season 4 it degenerated into a "moral of the week" kind of thing, as I recall.

Honestly, the main 1 Saturday Morning show I have the fondest memories of was Pepper Ann; probably my favorite Disney cartoon outside of some of the Disney Afternoon shows, but again, I haven't seen PA in a while; I'm not sure how it would hold if I saw it again today.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Recess and Pepper Ann are among my to-rediscover list, along with maybe Fillmore! too. I might do Recess next.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I still think Recess is a great show. I also enjoy that the movie and specials felt like proper closure to the whole show. Few Disney shows seem to get that, but Recess actually did.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

I saw an episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and about 3-4 episodes of Young Justice today. Avengers will take some time to get used to. I'm not that fond of the artwork. I don't know what it is with Marvel animation, but for some reason it's like they can't do a series with great animation and great artwork at the same time. Take Spectacular Spider-Man. I hated the artwork in that (quirky stuff) but the animation and fights clearly made up for it. I like the artwork in both X:TAS and X:EVO, but the animation in both left something to be desired.

As far as Young Justice goes, I instantly fell in love with it. From artwork and animation, along with the fights. Not to mention it's serious, but not, too serious. I think this series was made specifically for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on January 20, 2013, 01:22:48 PM
I saw an episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and about 3-4 episodes of Young Justice today. Avengers will take some time to get used to. I'm not that fond of the artwork. I don't know what it is with Marvel animation, but for some reason it's like they can't do a series with great animation and great artwork at the same time. Take Spectacular Spider-Man. I hated the artwork in that (quirky stuff) but the animation and fights clearly made up for it. I like the artwork in both X:TAS and X:EVO, but the animation in both left something to be desired.

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the art-style of AEMH as well, and I also didn't like the show with the first few episodes (including the micro-episodes). That said, it takes a huge jump in quality by about episode 8 or 9, and pretty much holds that level of quality for the rest of the season and "most" of season 2 (IMO). I'd say its worth sticking with because it gets really good later on down the line. Personally I ended up liking it more than Justice League/Unlimited in the end, and I really did enjoy JLU a lot.

QuoteAs far as Young Justice goes, I instantly fell in love with it. From artwork and animation, along with the fights. Not to mention it's serious, but not, too serious. I think this series was made specifically for me.

As far as season 1 goes, then yes. Just don't keep your hopes up too high for the 2nd season. I've personally found it to be pretty disappointing, so far, but maybe I'm in the minority on that.

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-KenAs far as season 1 goes, then yes. Just don't keep your hopes up too high for the 2nd season. I've personally found it to be pretty disappointing, so far, but maybe I'm in the minority on that.
I don't know how many seasons there are, but I just started at episode 36, at least that's what's on demand for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, the show is currently in its 2nd season.

Being that I watched starting from season 1, I generally don't like how season 2 moved most of the characters that I came to actually care about to the side (at least until recently), and replaced them with new characters that I didn't know without really giving me much of a reason to give a shit about said new characters. That, and I'm just not a fan of how this season has the show tackling multiple plot-lines at once. The 1st season technically did that as well, but it did a good job of focusing on the main plot at hand and it was paced well enough so that you never felt like there were 3 or 4 separate stories that you had to be aware of in order to just follow a single episode. With season 2, I feel like the show has been trying to do too much at once and thus it kind of feels like a mess to me, personally.

Grave

Ah, yes, plot. One thing you'll learn about me is that I don't watch these shows for plot. I'm more fickle than that, however, if a series has great animation, artwork, and fights I'm pretty easy to satisfy, which is odd considering that I'm not much of a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender because of the characters (But I enjoyed Korra). I guess it depends on the show. DC and Marvel, it's kinda hard to not please me with the characters unless they deliberately make an obnoxious main character with a bratty attitude.

Dr. Insomniac

Watched Chico & Rita and Kirikou & The Sorceress. Gorgeous films with an exotic, yet familiar taste.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Grave on January 20, 2013, 07:46:53 PM
Ah, yes, plot. One thing you'll learn about me is that I don't watch these shows for plot. I'm more fickle than that, however, if a series has great animation, artwork, and fights I'm pretty easy to satisfy, which is odd considering that I'm not much of a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender because of the characters (But I enjoyed Korra). I guess it depends on the show. DC and Marvel, it's kinda hard to not please me with the characters unless they deliberately make an obnoxious main character with a bratty attitude.

I guess I'm kind of the opposite. The plot is the most important part of any given work for me. Which explains why I stopped caring about YJ a while ago. And why I have a hard time enjoying Korra.

Avaitor

As I talked about the Best Picture winners in another thread, which film do you think will Best Animated Picture? To me, it seems like between the five, there are five different options to go with:

The popular choice- Wreck-It Ralph

WIR wasn't even the highest-grossing animated film of the year, but it seems to be the most beloved of all the choices, and probably the most fun. Awards and critic alike have been kind, so it may very well take home the gold.

The safe choice- Brave

It's safe to say that Brave is no one's favorite Pixar movie. Not to say that the film doesn't have its fans, but the movie just didn't didn't take the world over like the Toy Storys, Finding Nemo, Up, etc did, and there's a good reason for that- Brave just isn't that good of a movie, Pixar or not. The few awards it has won so far have come from voting committees whose countries STILL haven't obtained Wreck-It Ralph, since Disney's STILL way behind with their release schedules for their own animated films. That, or the Golden Globes just didn't care enough about the nominees and went with Brave because it's Pixar. It's possible that the Academy could do the same thing.

But hey, it's not like EVERY Pixar film won. The Cars films are even weaker, and they didn't. Neither did Monsters, Inc, so who knows?

The critics choice- Frankenweenie

It's won more awards than any of the other nominees, and the film sure seems to resonate for whatever reason. It's possible that the Academy awards the film to "prove" that they don't have a bias against Tim Burton and give him this one award. Or maybe they just really hate the guy and he won't win here either.

The underdog choice- ParaNorman

The film has won a couple of awards itself, and its anti-bullying message could certainly appeal to voters. Usually the most popular films win, but this could be a surprise upset.

The no way in hell choice- The Pirates

It was either this or Rise of the Guardians, and since Katzenberg won his one Oscar this year, I guess they went with this instead. I'm sure it's a fine movie, maybe even a good one. But being nominated is good enough.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Well, they went with the safe choice.

At least Paperman won for Best Animated Short.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Quote from: Avaitor on February 24, 2013, 08:01:18 PM
Well, they went with the safe choice.

At least Paperman won for Best Animated Short.

Indeed. To think I was actually expecting Paranorman over the rest, and I still need to get around to that.

Spark Of Spirit

Paperman was well deserved. Glad to hear that it won.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

My baby brother and me watched the first 6 episodes of Korra, and two episodes on each of the following days. We'll probably finish the series today. He likes it and I like finally rewatching the show. He loves the Yukon flashback as much as I do.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody