What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just started watching Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and I plan to watch through the whole series this time. Up until now, I only ever caught a few random episodes of this series on TV, but I wanted to finally get into it and give it a proper viewing. After re-watching the first episode, I have to say that I really do admire this show's sense of humor. It pulls off the whole campy, tongue-in-cheek vibe without ever coming off like its trying to hard to fit into that style. All of the jokes just flow through so naturally, and that's thanks to great writing, great dialogue, and generally great characters. Of course, this is just based on the limited amount of what I've seen of the show, but hopefully the rest of it holds up to those standards as well.

Spark Of Spirit

I think what helps is that they play it straight and that the camp is really well written without seeming out of place or shoehorned in.

Also it helps that the action is just as good as the comedy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Batman is just the perfect straight man.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

So apparently Sony was going to release a season 2 set of SSM last year, but dropped it without any word one way or the other towards it.

This saddens me greatly.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Cartoonist92

Who here has watched the old Fliesher Popeye cartoons recently?

Avaitor

Have you guys been checking out Mr. Big's Cartoon Research articles?

Can't wait to read more!

New blog!

gunswordfist

I tried to watching the first episode of Hunter x Hunter remake on my brother's PS3 and only got a minute into it due to slow internet connection. Anyway, I'll give the Crunchyroll app another try tomorrow and watch it then
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 10, 2013, 03:33:45 PM
I tried to watching the first episode of Hunter x Hunter remake on my brother's PS3 and only got a minute into it due to slow internet connection. Anyway, I'll give the Crunchyroll app another try tomorrow and watch it then

I still prefer the 1999 version, myself, but the remake is still great when it adapts the best parts of the manga (though the 1999 version downright improved upon the manga, IMO). That said, I don't know if the first few arcs of this series would be that much up your alley. Its worth a look, but keep in mind that the first 30 or so episodes of the series are mostly standard shonen stuff, except done much better than most other standard shonen. The York Shin City arc is where the series gets downright great, IMO, as it shows Togashi's expert writing for darker-themed plots (much like the Chapter Black arc in YYH), and then the series drops off in quality again with the Greed Island arc, but then gets awesome again with the Chimera Ant arc....which still has a shit-ton of flaws, but I'd still call it great, though.

Avaitor

The YouTube uploader only put the first 20 or so episodes up. I wanted to find the rest elsewhere, but I keep on delaying that for other things.

First M*A*S*H, now Game of Thrones.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Ugh, looks like I'll need somewhere else to start the series now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Are you just trying to use the Crunchyroll app, or did you try just streaming videos from that site on regular computer?

At any rate, CR has given me some problems with streaming as well, so your issues with its "services" don't surprise me.

gunswordfist

They aren't letting watch videos anymore. Apparently now I have to sign up after just the second time I used the app.

Grave

Justice League

I bought the entire series recently. Glad I did because I like watching the special features on some of the disc as well. Then there are some episodes that I just never knew about (I think they were called the Justice Force or something, and then the 3-part episode dealing with a war. Some good stuff.

Avaitor

"Legends" and "The Savage Time" are probably my favorite season 1 episodes.

New blog!

Grave

Hard to say what my favorites are at the moment, but Savage Time is definitely one of them. I also liked the episode where Superman was fighting on another planet against Mongul (I think that's his name). But then again, I'm beginning to really like Superman over everyone else at the moment. I like Batman and all, but sometimes he can really get on my nerves.