One Piece

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 28, 2010, 08:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Then again, current Oda is pretty hit or miss with his writing. :humhumhum:

In all seriousness, though, I'd say that Strong World and Film Z were both entertaining, above average movies by the standards of movies based on long-running shonen anime. In that regard, I'd put them on the same level as BOG: very fan-service heavy, but entertaining if you are a fan.

If the new movie is just as good, I'll certainly check it out. I do wish that they could somehow make these movies stand out on their own, somewhat, as quality movies in and of themselves. Sort of like that second UY movie that CX is always going on about. :D

LumRanmaYasha

The new film is called Film Gold. Oda is the executive producer, like he was for Film Z. It will be out next July.

LumRanmaYasha

Funimation has licensed Film Gold. What's more, it will have theatrical screenings in the U.S. and Canada from January 10th-17th!

Daikun

Lord Dalek

Most expensive live action show of all time + 3X failure franchise = Worlds greatest tax laundering scheme.

LumRanmaYasha

The trailer for the Wano arc in the anime has been released, and DAMN, that's the Tatsuya Nagamine difference for ya! All the shots in the trailer and the revamped character designs look absolutely gorgeous, and while OP will always have inconsistent quality as a consequence of being a long-running show, it really seems like they're going all-out to make Wano something special. I've been following the anime again since the middle of Whole Cake after seeing how the production values really stepped up, but this looks like a whole new show entirely! This is the most I've looked forward to watching the OP anime in ages

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just watched the most recent episode and WTF was with that movie quality animation? Like, it's legit got presentation value higher than even most contemporary well-produced shows, and it's not even covering any of the battles from the raid on Onigashima yet. While it's unrealistic to expect this to be the standard going forward, it does give me faith that the production staff is taking Wano Act 3 super seriously (to be fair, the production value took a big step up since WCI), and will give the big moments and fights the level of care that they deserve. This is the kind of quality that I desperately wish we had gotten back with the war at Marineford a whole decade ago (still hard to believe that it's been that long since then).

Daikun

I like to watch One Piece in chunks--I haven't watched the anime since Wano Act 2 ended. I'm already caught up with the manga and am waiting for the adaptation of chapter 1000 so I can enjoy it all in a big batch.

I've been hearing some really good things about the anime since this year started, from its higher-quality animation than usual and material that expands on the story (seemingly even predicting future manga events). Yeah, Toei has really stepped up their game this year.

LumRanmaYasha

Wano as a whole has been the best the show has ever looked, but Megumi Ishitani in particular has a knack for making all the episodes she directs look so gorgeously cinematic. The storming of Onigashima stuff in the manga was executed okay but the anime made it all feel like a real event. I really hope they bring her on for more big episodes going forward.

Daikun

Episode 1000 is out, and there's a good and bad thing about it.

Bad: Due to Toei's awful pacing, it's not even adapting chapter 1000--it's about 10 chapters behind. :imnothappy: Way to fuck up a momentous occasion, Toei.
Good: They've updated the original intro, "We Are!" and it's freakin' sweet! :shakeshakeshake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcORw_rhks

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd be disappointed if I didn't already expect something like this. It's a glorified clip show by the final third of the episode, and the rest is just a basic adaptation of the manga with some extra scenes added in.

But, yeah, that redone opening theme really hit that nostalgic sweet spot for me. I'm honestly more excited to see the actual chapter 1,000 of the manga animated. That's easily one of my favorite moments in the entire series.

Daikun

Chapter 1000 has FINALLY been adapted!

Daikun

Trailer for the Netflix live-action series. God help us all.
https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1641831006519918592

Daikun