Disney's Worst Animated Films

Started by Daikun, November 08, 2012, 06:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Despite being the world's most popular animation company and capturing the imaginations of many a generation, let's face facts: The company has had its share of stinkers. No company is infallible.

So, let's make a list of those moments where the company seemed to be having its off days.

Pocahontas - It was around this point where the Disney Renaissance took a major nose dive. Sure, the animation was pretty, but that's the only thing I can give it props for. The story and characters were stuck in auto-pilot mode; it didn't try anything to make it stand out. The songs were...meh, bordering on saccharine and largely forgettable. I felt like I was watching a Barbie movie than a Disney movie.

Chicken Little - This film is largely forgotten, and for good reason. It's a pathetic take on the folk tale. Instead of remaining true to the spirit of the story (you know, what Disney is KNOWN FOR DOING), they made it as loud and obnoxious as possible. They were clearly trying to cash in on the trend of poking fun at fairy tales that DreamWorks set the standard for with Shrek, and several other animation companies had followed suit during that period. Disney's attempt at it was just miserable.

Dr. Insomniac

*salutes*  :joy: 7

Well, obviously, all the sequels with very few exceptions. As for main films, Hercules doesn't do anything for me due to how much it bastardizes Greek myth into another Jesus story.

Daxdiv

Did anyone ever see Home on the Range? Anyone? ANYONE?

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

Quote from: Daxdiv on November 08, 2012, 06:18:14 PMDid anyone ever see Home on the Range? Anyone? ANYONE?

I avoided it like the plague. I saw how shitty it was just from the trailer.

Avaitor

Quote from: Daxdiv on November 08, 2012, 06:18:14 PM
Did anyone ever see Home on the Range? Anyone? ANYONE?
Before we hit a major financial nose die, I was planning on hitting up the Blu-Ray out of curiosity and completion. Now I can only afford the Diamond collection films.

But yeah, I remain ignorant of Home and the Range and Chicken Little for the time being. As for what I've seen, I agree with Pocahontas, plus I think that The Aristocats and Robin Hood are representative of everything wrong with post-Walt Disney.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Literally the only thing I can remember about Aristocats besides that it had cats was this stereotypically Chinese cat that made me wince everytime he appeared.

Daxdiv

I remember the song that Everybody Wants to be a Cat. That's pretty much the only thing about it I remember.

Also, DINOSAURS! I remember watching that as a kid and not liking it. It's a part of the Animated Canon, so make of that as you will.

Commode

I saw Dinosaur in IMAX in San Diego with my grandma when it came out.  I haven't seen it since then.

And I used to love Aristocats as a kid, but it's such a weird movie.  It's not a fairy tale, it's not really a musical, it doesn't really have any humor or much adventure, it's just a bunch of cats that get thrown out like yesterday's trash. 
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Quote from: Daxdiv on November 08, 2012, 07:27:02 PM
Also, DINOSAURS! I remember watching that as a kid and not liking it. It's a part of the Animated Canon, so make of that as you will.
Yeah, Dinosaurs sucks, doesn't it? It's just a pretty-looking Land Before Time, with no personal qualities of its own.

And I even think that Land Before Time is derivative and inferior to An American Tale, but Dinosaur is so much weaker.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Compulsory mention of The Black Cauldron.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm gonna be mean and say that I never saw much to love for Lady and the Tramp. And it's not just because of the casual racism. I found it a bland story that only dog lovers and the sentimental would enjoy.

Foggle

I remember liking The Black Cauldron a lot when I was a kid. Haven't seen it since though.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 08, 2012, 09:47:12 PM
I'm gonna be mean and say that I never saw much to love for Lady and the Tramp. And it's not just because of the casual racism. I found it a bland story that only dog lovers and the sentimental would enjoy.
That movie would always put me to sleep by the halfway point - same with Fantasia. Never liked either one much.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Daikun! :thumbup:

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, Fantasia is more for the art than the story. Too much of Walt going "Look what I can do!"

Avaitor

I love Lady and the Tramp, mostly because I love dogs.

Of the 50's films, it's Cinderella that gets the least reaction out of me, if only because it's so by the books.

New blog!