The Aquabats! Super Show!

Started by Daikun, November 14, 2012, 05:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Back in March, the Aquabats! got together with the Homestar Runner guys and the Mega64 crew. Together, they made the greatest show in the history of the universe ever on The Hub. Take Power Rangers and Adam West's Batman, and inject lots of caffeine!

Intro

A second season has been confirmed.

Silverstar

This is my favorite show on The Hub. I even like it a little better than the Pony show (blasphemy!). Glad to hear there's going to be another season.

My only gripe is that Saturdays at noon isn't the greatest time slot for it. I wish it aired on prime time. IMO they should put Aquabats! and Dan VS together in the same hour on Saturday nights, as both shows are kind of odd men out on The Hub (their shows aren't based on toys or Hasbro properties, and they skew towards a slighter older audience than the other Hub "kids'" shows).

From Gloopy!
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

The Reserved Nutcase

I finally got to check this show out.  This now makes 4 shows I watch on the Hub (the other 3 being MLP, Dan Vs., and the Haunting Hour).  It's so refreshing to see wacky (and I do mean the good kind) live action shows like this on tv.

hobbyfan

I've actually watched an episode----well, most of it----and Daikun is spot on. Batman crossed with the Power Rangers, or maybe even a healthy dose of those old Cookie Man spots for Chips Ahoy back in the day (before your time for most of you). Creator Christian Jacobs is also one of the creative minds behind Nickelodeon's Yo Gabba Gabba. I haven't seen this kind of cheesy fun in a long time.

The series aired at 11 during season 1, and was replayed on Monday nights, coupled with----wait for it----Batman (Adam West era). Serendipity city, baby. Why it's been moved to noon for season 2, I don't know, but what I do know is that, save for a small handful of shows back in the day, noon meant near-instant-death for some SatAM shows.

Daikun

Season 2 starts June 1 at 1PM!

Goldstar

Finally! The Aquabats Super Show returns! I would prefer it if it would air at an earlier time than 1 PM, but I'm just glad to be getting new episodes at all.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Daikun

Daikun

So, did anyone see the season premiere today?

Goldstar

Quote from: Daikun on June 01, 2013, 08:30:01 PM
So, did anyone see the season premiere today?

Silverstar and I saw it. I wasn't about to miss it.

Tony Hawk makes a cameo as a news reporter and we find out what happened to Ron Mark after the end of season 1's "Night of the Cactus". All this and a Hard Day's Night parody in the same episode!

Apparently, this season, instead of "A Cartoon!", each Aquabat will be giving telling his own story about how he joined up with the band/team, and each story will utilize a different animation style. The art in Ealglebones' story was a homage to Heavy Metal magazine.

hobbyfan

I think I'll wait for the DVD to come out. 1:00 isn't the right time, either, but Hub's programmers ain't about to move Aquabats back into the morning block right away because, well, what are they thinking, anyway?

Daikun

I just saw the latest episode today (I had it saved on my DVR).

Was that animated segment done by Shmorky?

Silverstar

Quote from: Daikun on June 23, 2013, 07:39:11 PM
I just saw the latest episode today (I had it saved on my DVR).

Was that animated segment done by Shmorky?

I don't know, but now I'm really curious to see what Ricky's recollection of the group's origin will be. These origin memories are really cool.

Jimmy the Robot's was done in cheesy early 90's blocky CGI, reminiscent of Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" video; there was even a reference to that video in the want ad Jimmy reads. "You want your money for nothing and your checks for free?".

Eagle "Bones" Falconhawk's was done in the style of Heavy Metal magazine, as Goldstar already mentioned.

The MC Bat Commander's was done in a similar vein to season 1's cartoon segments. Not surprisingly, his retelling was the band's original Aquabania back story, which they randomly circulated in the early days.

Crash McLarson's was the simplest animated and the most simplistic story.

The show still does the "A CARTOON!" segments, even though the continuing narrative story is done with. Now they use those for the "Li'l Bat" bits of business.

This show doesn't get the love it deserves. It's easily one of The Hub's best shows.

Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daikun

Goldstar

Long time fans of The Aquabats will likely be jazzed to learn that one of the "special" episodes is based on 1 of their songs "Shark Fighter". I hope this means that there may be an episode based on "Fashion Zombies!" some time in the future.

Daikun

So, did anyone watch the Christmas episode?

I totally forgot it was on yesterday, so I have my DVR set to watch an encore.

There's also a new episode this Saturday.