Disney Afternoon

Started by Avaitor, December 28, 2010, 11:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

It's cool to see Disney make comics again that aren't just based on their attractions. I know that Marvel's Figment series did quite well for them, so it's no surprise to see DW return.

I stopped collecting the previous run after the first storyarc, so I'll try to get the omnibus. I know that it gets hit or miss after that, but I still want to see it all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Awesome news. An omnibus sounds good, because I only have the collection of the first story arc.

My Walmart had Goof Troop volume 1 and 2, TaleSpin volume 3, Gargoyles Season 2 Part 2, and the DuckTales movie. This time I could only get two, so I spent them on completing my Gargoyles and TaleSpin collections.

Has there been any word on completing DuckTales, Chip n' Dale, Gummi Bears, or Darkwing Duck any time soon? I'm half-expecting Bonkers Volume 1 and 2 before any of them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The guy who is in charge of this big "save Disney Afternoon" campaign keeps on hinting that this is only the beginning. Considering that he used to have ties to Disney's home video service, I wouldn't call him crazy just yet.

As for Gummi Bears, I'd just like to see the first volume around again. From what I can tell, it looks like that's out of print.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

So now that Aaron Sparrow has control of the Darkwing Duck comic once again, I do hope it means that if they make the other TDA shows into comics that he'll have a say. The Rescue Rangers comic was thrown together without any planning whatsoever and fell apart out of the gate. DuckTales had controversially horrible art and writing that wasn't quite up to par with what you would expect from DuckTales. And TaleSpin and Gummi Bears were totally left out of any discussions.

I would add Gargoyles, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

This time since Boom isn't there to meddle in things, can we finally have the TDA comic revival everyone has wanted for years now?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I heard that Gummi Bears was actually in the talks, since it was surprisingly well requested, but the lukewarm reception to the Rescue Ranger comics, as well as Boom losing their contract, ceased that from happening.

I think that would actually make an awesome title, though, so I hope it has a chance to come through.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

So, because I'm the pedantic type, I decided to do a small list of how DVD releases for the TDA shows could go. I'm not including single volume releases with 3 or 4 episodes included. Those would be ignored should proper volumes be released, anyway.

Starting from the beginning:

1. Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
65 episodes (95 segments)

Releases:
Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears: Volume 1 (47 segments)
Volumes needed for completion: 1 volume containing 48 segments.

2. DuckTales
100 episodes

Releases:
DuckTales: Volume 1 (27 episodes)
DuckTales: Volume 2 (24 episodes)
DuckTales: Volume 3 (24 episodes)
Volumes needed for completion: 1 volume containing 25 episodes.

3. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
65 episodes

Releases:
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers: Volume 1 (27 episodes)
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers: Volume 2 (24 episodes)
Volumes needed for completion: 1 volume containing 14 episodes.

4. TaleSpin
65 episodes

Releases:
TaleSpin: Volume 1 (27 episodes)
TaleSpin: Volume 2 (27 episodes)
TaleSpin: Volume 3 (11 episodes)
Volumes needed for completion: Completed.

5. Darkwing Duck
91 episodes

Releases:
Darkwing Duck: Volume 1 (27 episodes)
Darkwing Duck: Volume 2 (27 episodes)
Volumes needed for completion: 2 volumes. One containing 18 episodes and another containing 19.

6. Goof Troop
78 episodes (+ 1 special)

Releases:
Goof Troop Volume 1 (27 episodes)
Goof Troop Volume 2 (27 episodes)
Volumes needed for completion: 1 volume containing 25 episodes.

7. Bonkers
65 episodes

Releases:
None
Volumes needed for completion: 3 volumes.

8. Gargoyles
78 65 episodes

Releases:
Gargoyles: Season One (13 episodes)
Gargoyles: Season Two Volume 1 (26 episodes)
Gargoyles: Season Two Volume 2 (26 episodes)
Volumes needed for completion: 1 volume containing 13 episodes. Completed.

9. The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show
13 episodes

Releases:
None
Volumes needed for completion: 1 volume.

10. Aladdin
86 episodes

Releases:
None
Volumes needed for completion: 4 volumes.

11. The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa
85 episodes (171 segments)

Releases:
None
Volumes needed for completion: 4 volumes.

12. Quack Pack
39 episodes

Releases:
None
Volumes needed for completion: 2 volumes.

13. Mighty Ducks: The Animated Series
26 episodes

Releases:
None
Volumes needed for completion: 1 volume.

Those are the shows that properly aired on the block. Anything else is extra. So when all is said and done, to complete the entire TDA line up we would need 21 more volumes. It's hard to imagine one block was responsible for so much material, but there you go.

Speedy

^ I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen at least one volume of Aladdin yet.  It was apparently a popular enough series, Toon Disney played it a lot, and they've previously released nine VHS tapes of it.  Most importantly, the movie it's based on is still a fan favorite.  So why do they keep sitting on it?

Spark Of Spirit

That's a good point. Aladdin has always been one of Disney's most popular properties, so it is strange that they've never managed to put out the series in any real capacity. But then, Disney has never been too keen on big sets for their shows-- it took them how long to even attempt to release the old TDA shows on DVD, after all?

At least with the rate the store exclusives seem to be going, we could end up with the remaining releases sooner than later. Still, I hope they finish off the old shows before moving on to the newer ones.

Kiddington

I still can't believe we haven't gotten a single volume of Bonkers yet (not even a 3-4 episode single disc set, even Quack Pack got that much). Am I the only one that liked that show? I can't be.

.....anyway I had no idea they finished off TaleSpin, strange how I completely missed that. I'm not sure how much that's a "must own" for me, but whenever I get some extra money I definitely wouldn't mind having it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on October 28, 2014, 04:51:01 PM.....anyway I had no idea they finished off TaleSpin, strange how I completely missed that. I'm not sure how much that's a "must own" for me, but whenever I get some extra money I definitely wouldn't mind having it.
Yep, they finished both Gargoyles and TaleSpin through the online store as well as releasing the first two volumes of Goof Troop there. You can buy them in Walmart right now.

I predict that Bonkers will be the next series they do, though I hope they finish some of their early shows off before they get to it. As for shows after Bonkers, well, I don't have much interest in them since I finished collecting Gargoyles.

Avaitor

I like Bonkers, but it's hardly a favorite series of mine. I'd definitely consider buying it, though.

And I do remember the guy behind the Disney Afternoon campaign personally asked me to message Disney's home video service to ask about the likelihood of the Aladdin series coming out. Maybe that's a potential release?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I picked up the Goof Troop volumes this week.

It might be an animated sitcom, but it really has no problems getting cartoony or off the wall at the drop of a hat. Not to mention, the animated aspects tend to make the plots go in bigger ways than most animated sitcoms have done since then. It's still lighthearted fun like it always was.

Never get tired of Jim Cummings as Pete, either.

Speedy

Pete MAKES the show.  Though Goofy and his malapropisms are usually pretty good too.

You know what's funny?  Twenty years later WB would try the same "classic cartoon characaters in a domesticated, suburban setting" concept with The Looney Tunes Show, and it didn't work nearly as well.

Kiddington

Goof Troop is great; I picked up the first volume on Amazon a couple months ago, and it was a blast to watch again. To me it always felt a bit unappreciated in comparison to the likes of Darkwing and Gargoyles; it's a fun show, and definitely DA's best "pure" comedy.

You know what else wasn't bad either? The Timon and Pumbaa series. In fact I actually remember it still being pretty funny the last time I caught it, which wasn't even all that long ago (found like a late night mini-marathon of it a couple years ago on of those offshoot channels, might've even been like Disney Jr. or something). I'd take a couple volumes of that for sure.

Spark Of Spirit

I just noticed that the Goof Troop Christmas Special is out on DVD with the rest of the new TDA sets. I guess that's one less episode for the final set, if they ever get around to it.

But yeah, I'd be for more animated sitcoms if they used the form as animation as expressively as Goof Troop did.