Devil May Cry Series

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 06, 2013, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 09, 2013, 11:53:04 AM
So in other words, Devil May Cry 1 is a piece of garbage for not having air combos at all (by your standards), and you just flat-out suck too much at gaming to press right on the d-pad to switch into the sword master style. Do you even realize how insane Dante's style cancels are? If you master how to chain combos together through the various cancels that Dante's combat allows you, then you can string together all sorts of combos that even Nero and his newbie devil bringer could never hope to achieve. Dante can cancel from one combo to another through changes in style, devil arms, and his guns. Give me one thing that Nero can do that can even compare to that.
I didn't say anything about Nero, blind man. And cancel, smancel. There's no reason for Dante to not have air combos for all styles.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 09, 2013, 07:22:12 PM
I didn't say anything about Nero, blind man. And cancel, smancel. There's no reason for Dante to not have air combos for all styles.

Except for that it would make him completely overpowered. But then again, you probably want that since you're the kind of gamer who probably has a tough time with DMC4 even on Human mode. :sly:

Rynnec

Japanese trailer for DmC.

I gotta admit, this trailer actually makes the game look pretty cool, bad dialogue aside. If more of the trailers for this game had been more like this one, I'd probably be more receptive to it. It helps that the music is better than anything we've been hearing in the actual game too.

Grave

I suppose it sounds better. If anything it's easier enough for me to tune out (same with the music in 3 & 4). This other crap they've been playing with the game is just hard to since it's so annoying.

I see Vergil's using a gun... Don't know how I feel about that yet lol.

I may check it out, but it definitely won't be a day 1 buy.

gunswordfist

Hmmm, I liked 3's music. But of course the first game's trounces that.

And Vergil better say jackpot.

Foggle

Quote from: Grave on January 10, 2013, 04:41:59 AM
I may check it out, but it definitely won't be a day 1 buy.
This.

Grave

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 10, 2013, 08:53:35 AM
Not a metal fan, but I can easily tune it out since I get too much into hackin away.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Grave on January 10, 2013, 12:45:43 PM
Not a metal fan, but I can easily tune it out since I get too much into hackin away.
Me either but I think it fits the game.

Grave

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 10, 2013, 01:13:20 PM
Quote from: Grave on January 10, 2013, 12:45:43 PM
Me either but I think it fits the game.
Definitely. Believe it or not, there was once a time I almost sold DMC3 immediately because of the music. I hated all that screaming.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll give the game this much: I do like that it has a bit more to offer in the level design department. Don't get me wrong, its not like its top-grade platforming or puzzle solving, but from the demo I've played and the gameplay videos I've seen, it all works really competently (whereas platforming was always a disaster in the proper DMC games), and I actually do have to admit that I like how colorful and varied the environments are, even if it comes form this stupid "Western concept of demons" and how this is a world that only Dante can see and is blinded from human eyes or whatever the fuck they're going for with this game's plot.

I also heard somewhere that this game may have branching paths, which is always a plus for me. If there's anything that I could knock the old games down for (save DMC1), it was lazy level design. Of course DMC3 more than made up for this with its unrivaled juggle-based combat, and in general its level design wasn't nearly as badly recycled as it was in DMC4, but I do like having good platforming and puzzle solving to break up the pace in the action a bit and give me some breathing room, and if nothing else DmC seems to be doing just that, at the very least. That said, there's no substitute for great combat, and I still can't help but feel that DmC will be a big step down from the previous games in this department, but if it at least somewhat makes up for it with good level design, then it could turn out to be a decent game to play through at least once.

That said, I'm not really holding out any hopes for this game to be good. If it is, then that's all the better. But, I learned my lesson from NG3, and I'm just going to go in assuming that this game is crap until I actually play it for myself and either confirm or refute that notion.

gunswordfist

I do think the game will be good. Or at least have a good chance of being good. Just not DMC1, 3, 4-good.

I know I fucked up my words on describing it when I talked about my playthrough of the demo but yeah, I liked the platforming. Sucks that the level morphing is why they have the game at half the speed of the other DMCs though,

Rynnec

I have my own thoughts about the DmC's musical choices, but I'll save that rant for later, because the ending boss and cutscene just got leaked. Watch it here in crap quality before it gets taken down.

Spoiler
Suprising no one, Vergil turns out to be the final boss and sort of betrays Dante...kind of. Unsuprisingly, I find myself feeling more sympathy towards Vergil than Dante.

The boss fight in itself doesn't look too bad, but it doesn't look final boss-ish either, if anything it looks like the kind of boss you'd fight in the middle of the game, that, and the lack of lock-on really shows its problems with this boss in particular. The music also doesn't feel final boss-ish enough.

I also don't like the fact that Dante only spares Vergil because Kat told him to. I thought there conflict in the original series where Dante did care for his brother (even going as far as to try and save him after he defeats him), but still had to stop him because if he didn't, people would get hurt. Granted, his almost killing Vergil here could be the effects of Devil Trigger, but I doubt it.

Also, the game just sort of...ends. It felt really anticlimactic.
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Doesn't look anywhere near as good as the final boss fight in DMC3 with Vergil, but at least it also doesn't look like an utter joke like most of the DMC2 boss fights were. I also don't like how Dante only spared Vergil because someone else has to ask him to. In DMC3, Dante still tried to save Vergil even after beating him, but Vergil was too proud to let that happen, and he slashed Dante's hand before he could catch him. That's the other thing that ticks me off about this ending. Vergil in this version has no dignity. Look at Vergil in DMC3, in which he'd never let a battle end like that. He'd either keep fighting Dante until one of them died, or would tell Dante to have the balls to finish it. That's at least the way that I see Vergil, as in DMC3 he was the type of character who had no intention of just walking away from a defeat. It was either win or die for him.

Rynnec

Soundless voice only cutscenes of DmC

I know the lack of sounds probably takes aways some of the impact these cutscenes have, but damn is that dialogue groan-worthy! The poor animation doesn't do any favors either.:lol:

Can't wait til the cutscenes are properly uploaded, I'm gonna have a lot of laughs come the 15th.

Rynnec

I've been watching a playthrough of DmC, and so far it's pretty much what we're expecting. On the positive side: for all the faults the game has, there are some bright spots. The nightclub level is actually pretty cool and I'd like to see a level like that appear in a proper DMC game (reminds me of BatmanBeyond and Samurai Jack for some reason), the final two enemies at 18:40 and 22:01 look fun to fight.

As far as the weapons go, Aquilla looks awesome (though it's a bit broken), and the shotgun looks like it has a lot of power behind it. Unfortunately, that's about it for weapons (There are only about 7 of them including Rebellion, Ebony & Ivory, and more than half of them are boring, which is a really bad thing to be in a DMC game), which I guess is a fair amount, I just wish more of them looked fun. In fact, that's my main complaint with this game in terms of gameplay. The combat looks boring, and considering this is Devil May Cry, that's the absolute last thing you want combat to be.

As far as the game's story goes: It's...pretty boring and by the numbers. Which would be fine if NT weren't hyping up the story so damn much. There are some laughable scenes and unintentional humour such as those graphic novel scenes highlighting Dante and Vergil's past, and Kat somehow managing to not get riddled with bullets in the middle of a gunfight, but I haven't seen anything on the level of "I've never thought about being a father...I'm touched" yet.

...Well, this comes pretty close.

Speaking of Vergil, there's another pretty big character assassinating moment earlier where
Spoiler
He not only uses a gun, but uses it to kill Lilith and Mundus' unborn son (whom he and Dante were holding hostage), which isn't something the old Vergil would've done, at least not in that manner.
[close]
Dante's implied "romance" with Kat is also pretty forced, and actually makes him come off as even more unlikable since it makes him look like he's doing this just because he has the hots for her. Of course, it doesn't help that Kat herself is a rather bland, cardboard cutout, complete with a forced angsty backstory (with an abusive foster father...WHO WAS A DEMON! Oh noes!) to elicit cheap sympathy from easily emotionally manipulated audiences.

Mundus...is quite possibly the worst villain ever. This guy has no presence or menace whatsoever. And his redesing is easily the worst of the 3 (4 if you count Sparda). You'd think that since Mundus is based off Lucifer, that he'd look a lot more handsome and charismatic, and not like some bald middle-aged dude.

As for the music: It's complete and utter horseshit with a few okay-ish tracks. What I don't get is why they're using dubstep and combichrist of all things instead of something more rebelious sounding like Punk Rock (I believe I even read an interview stating that Dante's look was even supposed to resemble a typical "punk rock" teenager or something like that). This music just doesn't get me pumped up at all.