Devil May Cry Series

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 06, 2013, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So in other words DmC is your typical mediocre action/adventure game falling into Ninja Theory's "standard" level of quality?

Quote from: Rynnec on January 13, 2013, 11:19:22 PM
but I haven't seen anything on the level of "I've never thought about being a father...I'm touched" yet.

:srs:

Rynnec

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, aside from the fact that this boss fight is completely grotesque and one of the most uncharacteristic things for a "DMC" game to do, I noticed another big problem with this. It had to do with gameplay. Did you notice it?

Look at when the player tries to hit the mother, and completely botches a bunch of his attacks due to the lack of a lock-on targeting system like the previous DMC games. Its such an obvious thing to include given that its part of EVERY one of the proper DMC games (even the shitty DMC2 had enough sense to include that feature).

I mean, yeah, Ninja Gaiden has an auto-targeting system and that works fine for that game, but that's because that game is specifically designed around the fact that its auto-targeting. The enemies and bosses all work within the confines of that system and it results in great combat that's just as precise as DMC is with its lock-on targeting.

That said, this game isn't Ninja Gaiden. Its not even God of War either. Its "supposed" to be a DMC game, and it just baffles me that even a developer as amateurish as Ninja Theory would leave out such an integral part of DMC's gameplay mechanics.

Rynnec

Oh yeah, I noticed that. Though at first I thought that was because the player wasn't that good at the game.

The lack of lock-on is especially stupid when you realize that you have to hold the shoulder buttons to use your alternate weapons, which just makes things incredibly clunky. If they were trying to aim this at a casual audience, they were better off just keeping the lock on button and removing the need to hold down the shoulder buttons. I also don't like how certain enemies can only be damaged with certain weapons.

Honestly, they were better off calling this game Heavenly Sword 2 since that's what it plays like.

Also, here's a video by a pro-DMC player playing DmC. It really shows how downgraded the combat is. What's even weirder is that I keep hearing people say that it plays exactly like the old DMC games, which is just BS. I don't mind if people like this game, but for the love of god don't say stuff that just plain isn't true. If it weren't for the fact that this game is called DmC I would've thought it was a completely unrelated series.

Also: FUCK YEAH ADAM SESSLER!

Grave

I just thought the person didn't know how to use the lock-on, but seeing that it's just not there, wow. And then to see Sessler's review of the game, all of this is making me real hesitant on this game.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on January 14, 2013, 02:00:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE3SMyv_zvY&list=PLWCybra-2hg2D2ctvDCern8KzMLj01Y9i&index=14
*Sees video is uploaded by someone named SplitRyona*
*Closes link immediately, clears browser history*

I will not have that filth contaminating my computer. Check out the dude's YouTube Channel if you want a laugh.

Grave

Reviews are coming out all over the place with Adam giving it the lowest I've seen so far

IGN - 8.9
Gamespot - 8.0
1up - A (wow)
Gametrailers - 8.5

I'd definitely say Capcom has succeeded in alienating their fanbase. (Read some of those comments, I know, no one should read that stuff)

Anyway, maybe I overreacted a bit when I saw that there was no lock-on, but I will say that a lot of these reviews (the ones I've watched anyway) are showing tons of gameplay and I'll admit, it looks good. Like I said, it won't be a day 1 buy, but I'm definitely considering buying at some point this year (Perhaps March, April-ish).

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on January 14, 2013, 12:02:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE3SMyv_zvY&list=PLWCybra-2hg2D2ctvDCern8KzMLj01Y9i&index=14

I will not have that filth contaminating my computer. Check out the dude's YouTube Channel if you want a laugh.
I busted out laughing.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on January 14, 2013, 12:02:44 PM

Unfortunately, he was the only one with a complete playthrough at the time. :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Grave on January 14, 2013, 12:20:44 PM
IGN - 8.9
Gamespot - 8.0
1up - A (wow)
Gametrailers - 8.5
:whuh:

I'm sure it's at least a decent game, but Ninja Theory can't make an amazing game, IMO. They're basically the definition of C-level developers from everything I've seen or played from them. I can't see them making something without half-baked ideas, simplistic combat, or auto-platforming.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 14, 2013, 03:03:28 PM
Quote from: Grave on January 14, 2013, 12:20:44 PM
IGN - 8.9
Gamespot - 8.0
1up - A (wow)
Gametrailers - 8.5
:whuh:

I'm sure it's at least a decent game, but Ninja Theory can't make an amazing game, IMO. They're basically the definition of C-level developers from everything I've seen or played from them. I can't see them making something without half-baked ideas, simplistic combat, or auto-platforming.
I wouldn't know since I haven't played a single game they've made, although I did hear that Enslaved was actually a good game.

There's already a walkthrough of the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAmfsBaXmAU (he kinda sorta works for/with Capcom)

Warning: 1st 5 mins is more annoying than it should be. (I should've watched this first before posting it since I'm just now watching it)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Has anyone actually read or watched the IGN review? Its an utter joke (as expected). The reviewer actually praises the story and writing and claims that it succeeds on a serious story-telling level (which we all know is bull-shit), and he emphasizes all of the wrong points that DMC fans don't give that much of a shit about (if at all), like the graphics and environmental effects.

Really, you just can't trust the reviews by these big sites anymore. You could tell that the IGN reviewer was really grasping at straws trying to make this game seem more bad-ass than it really is. Adam Sessler's review felt sincere and honest. For what its worth, despite what any reviews might say, I think that the game looks fun, just not anywhere on the level of DMC1, 3, or 4, and if most of the positive reviews for this game are in the same vein as that IGN review, then I don't think its worth trusting them.

Spark Of Spirit

Did they call the writing "Oscar-worthy"?

Enslaved isn't a bad game at all, but it's strong points were most definitely not the combat or the platforming. If they were working on, say, a Mario game, I would be equally worried.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Gotta say, Max and Matt's reaction to the intro was legitimately funnier than any one-liner in the game. I like how they did playthroughs of the 4 previous games before heading into this one. Honestly, Maximillian is one of the few vocal supporters of DmC that actually respects the franchise for what it was.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 14, 2013, 05:40:54 PM
Did they call the writing "Oscar-worthy"?

They called Nu-Dante "a much better character" despite being just as shallow as his previous incarnation, probably even moreso.

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-KenHas anyone actually read or watched the IGN review? Its an utter joke (as expected). The reviewer actually praises the story and writing and claims that it succeeds on a serious story-telling level (which we all know is bull-shit), and he emphasizes all of the wrong points that DMC fans don't give that much of a shit about (if at all), like the graphics and environmental effects.
I watched it.

True, no one really cares about story in these types of games, but to say that DMC fans don't care for graphics... Not likely. I'd say as soon as DMC3 came out fans began to care for graphics. I mean nobody would say this looks great if the graphics were poor (I know it don't hold up, but at the time that was one of the better looking games on the ps2). Then again I'm also a graphics whore so, yeah, whatever. Now I'm not going to be one of those that try to defend review sites since I don't take them seriously. To me it's just another opinion with numbers tacked on.

I'm actually split on this, though. I'm watching part 2 to that little playthrough of Max and Matt. From a gameplay perspective I like what I'm seeing. And then NT are even throwing in little quibbles (maybe jabs?) at the Dante we know and love. Yes, it's nowhere near as good as DMC3 or 4, but it's winning me over in trying it out.