After Beware the Batman & Teen Titans Go, what's next for DC animated?

Started by hobbyfan, January 08, 2013, 08:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbyfan

Given how Cartoon Network made a public relations mess out of putting the DC Nation block on hiatus a while back, one wonders if DC and/or WB Animation would actually let the suits in charge even keep the block going forward if they screw around with Beware the Batman & Teen Titans Go!, due soon.

That gets me thinking about what would be next in the pipeline. With "Man of Steel" opening later this year, a new Superman cartoon is almost assured. If so, will they stick with CGI, as they're doing with BTB & Green Lantern? Or do they go with traditional line animation? What of the casting? Who would be appropriate to voice Superman this time, even if Tim Daly & George Newbern are still around?

Beyond that.........

A new Justice League cartoon would be nice. They shouldn't have cancelled that series in the first place (Unlimited was an extension of the first JL show, IMPO). This time, they should be more willing to take chances. JLU hinted at Batman & Wonder Woman being a couple, but they didn't go all the way. With WW now Superman's squeeze in the JL comics.........!

Wonder Woman in a solo series is long, long overdue. 'Nuff said.

Try focusing on the other, lesser known teams, like the Sea Devils and Doom Patrol, who've gotten minimal animated exposure over the last 20+ years.

What do you folks think?

The Shadow Gentleman

I have always thought Wonder Woman deserved her own series, if for no other reason then most people don't know a whole lot about her.

And give her some pants.

Silverstar

With The Man of Steel on the way, a new Superman series is a given, assuming that the movie does well and isn't a big bomb-a-saurus like Superman Returns. As a fan of Big Blue, I hope the new flick makes people Superman-crazy again.

We'll also likely get a new Justice League series after that movie comes out, whenever that is.

Agreed on a Wonder Woman series. Wondy's long overdue. She's the only member of the DC Trinity not to get an animated series. But unfortunately, most writers and producers don't know how to handle Wonder Woman. Female superheroes are tricky, since they have to be able to kick down an iron door and still squeal with delight when a handsome guy smiles at them.

Personally, in addition to the above, I'd personally like to see a Super Best Friends Forever animated series. IF DC/WB was going to turn any of their DC Nation shorts into shows, I'd have much rather gotten an SBFF show than Teen Titans GO!; not a big fan of TT: TAS.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Personally, I'd love that Question show Bruce Timm always wanted to do. Although if Timm is smart enough, he'd add some other DC under dogs to frequent the show, since as fun as Question is, his shtick is bound to get old by himself.

I'd also love to see a Showcase-like series, focusing on one-off or multi-part stories with some of their other heroes. Something along the lines of the Atom serials they showed on DC Nation not that long ago. I doubt we'd get either of these, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Man, I still want Superman: The Brave & The Bold, but I'd really dig a good Superman series. A Blue Beetle show done by the TSSM staff would be great but since they're mostly doing YJ, I can live without it.

But at this point anything other than Justice League or Batman would be highly welcome.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It wouldn't surprise me. TB&TB and YJ really like giving him chances to shine, because he's probably DC's best chance at a breakout character.

You know, if they'd stop rebooting and retconing all the time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Goldstar

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 09, 2013, 12:48:13 PM
Man, I still want Superman: The Brave & The Bold, but I'd really dig a good Superman series. A Blue Beetle show done by the TSSM staff would be great but since they're mostly doing YJ, I can live without it.

But at this point anything other than Justice League or Batman would be highly welcome.

A DC Comics Presents animated series starring Superman would be pretty sweet, although at this point, I'd be happy just to get a good Superman animated series (and a good live action movie starring Supes also, for that matter).

I'd like to see a Wonder Woman animated series, but WW isn't going to get her own series until after she has a hit movie, be it a solo movie or the Justice League live action film. I'm guessing that we'll see the former before the latter.

Also Captain Marvel:TAS. I find it interesting how no one has attempted a CM series since the Filmation live action Saturday morning show SHAZAM! in the 1970s.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Insomniac

It would never happen, but a John Constantine series would interest me.

Avaitor

While we're on Vertigo, the only way I could see Sandman be successfully adapted is as an animated series, preferably on HBO, ala Spawn in the 90's.

And if I can go to live-action for a second, they should retool the Y: The Last Man movie in development hell and turn it into a show instead. It would make for the perfect companion piece to Walking Dead on AMC.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Scrolling through all the Vertigo titles, the ones I could see making good shows would be Sandman, Y: The Last Man, and 100 Bullets. Sandman should probably be first, since its more widely known and would allow for various different styles to be incorperated into a single series.

hobbyfan

Quote from: Goldstar on January 09, 2013, 04:51:51 PM
Also Captain Marvel:TAS. I find it interesting how no one has attempted a CM series since the Filmation live action Saturday morning show SHAZAM! in the 1970s.

Actually, CM did return in an animated series, also from Filmation, back in 1981. I believe you might've heard of "The Kid Super Power Hour With Shazam!"? This time, Cap had Jr., Mary, & Uncle Dudley backing him up. Mentor (Les Tremayne in the live-action series) was, IIRC, meant to be an analogue for Dudley, who filled the role in the comics back then.

If they do a CM series, I'd rather they ignore what Geoff Johns has done to Billy Batson in the Justice League comic these days.......

gunswordfist

Quote from: Graywulf76 on January 09, 2013, 05:20:59 PM
Scrolling through all the Vertigo titles, the ones I could see making good shows would be Sandman, Y: The Last Man, and 100 Bullets. Sandman should probably be first, since its more widely known and would allow for various different styles to be incorperated into a single series.
YES! 100 Bullets. Beat me to it.

I'd love to see a Flash series
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Goldstar

Quote from: hobbyfan on January 10, 2013, 08:02:19 PM
Quote from: Goldstar on January 09, 2013, 04:51:51 PM

Actually, CM did return in an animated series, also from Filmation, back in 1981. I believe you might've heard of "The Kid Super Power Hour With Shazam!"? This time, Cap had Jr., Mary, & Uncle Dudley backing him up. Mentor (Les Tremayne in the live-action series) was, IIRC, meant to be an analogue for Dudley, who filled the role in the comics back then.

If they do a CM series, I'd rather they ignore what Geoff Johns has done to Billy Batson in the Justice League comic these days.......

*slaps head* You're right! I forgot about The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam! As I recall, the obscure cartoon Hero High (which was originally going to star the Archie gang in capes) was also part of that show. I only ever saw one episode of that because my local NBC affiliate at the time didn't air the show (they aired local programming in it's place). I had to watch it on a local Washington channel with the rabbit ears.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Daikun

There will probably be three more Batman incarnations. That's DC's standard default route.