Is there something you wish had been done, but wasn't?

Started by hobbyfan, January 13, 2013, 10:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbyfan

Sometimes, there are story ideas that no one thinks of until years later, and then, reflecting back, we start thinking that this or that could've been done. This thread is an open invitation to you to share your thoughts on stories that might've been.

Let me take you to the early 80's for an example. Of course, I'm showing my age here.............

If you've seen the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon, you probably think Beast Boy has always had pointed ears. No, he hadn't. When DC launched New Teen Titans in August 1980, right before the start of my senior year in high school, Garfield Logan, by this point using the code name Changeling, had movie star looks, and, in fact, was working in Hollywood when he was recruited to join the Titans (he'd previously been with the Doom Patrol, which was referenced during the series and subsequently in the cartoon). Since I hadn't read the DP stuff beforehand, I was introduced to Gar being portrayed as a girl-crazy kid with super powers. In effect, aside from the green skin and shape shifting abilities, he was actually your average randy teenage boy. That's the Gar I prefer to remember. DC has retconned out the green skin in the new Ravagers book, but I'm not sure if it's still Gar as Beast Boy.

Anyway, I'm digressing. Here's my point. Gar could've used some companionship with someone with whom he had something in common. Make that, two someones. And, oh, did DC ever buh-low it!!!

I of course am referring to the Wonder Twins. Aside from Super Friends (both the TV show and the accompanying comic), Zan & Jayna weren't appearing in any DC comic. That would change years later, of course, but there was something wrong about how the Twins were presented in Extreme Justice and Young Justice. No, it wasn't the lack of having Gleek around (that was actually a plus, since he was comedy relief), but it was just how the characters were used. Super Friends (1st series) ended in 1981. By that point, it had no ties to the core DCU of the era. But, what if someone at DC decided to take a chance? For all intents & purposes, Changeling was being used as part of a comedy act with Cyborg when they weren't on cases. What if someone convinced Marv Wolfman & George Perez to take a chance on the Twins----and find a way to divest them of Gleek at the same time----? We all know, I'm sure, that Perez would've found a way to make Jayna even more of a hottie----without the, ahem, necessary acrouements given to Starfire----and, bearing in mind Zan had some experience with mechanics, found a means to pair him with Cyborg. Can you just picture it? Robin/Nightwing & Starfire, Jayna & Changeling? I can. I don't think it would've been a long-term, long lasting deal, to be honest, but it would've been worth the ol' college try.

What do you guys think?

Spark Of Spirit

This is a good idea for a thread.

I'll have to think for a few good ones...
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton