Most Anticipated Movies

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 14, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah....I'm thinking he's back. :shakeshakeshake:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Peanutbutter

Everything I'm seeing about the Power Rangers movie makes me want to see it more and more. I felt that way even before the trailer. Now thanks to it I want to see it opening day!

Pharass

Not sure if its been mentioned in this thread, but I am interested in seeing Silence. Its the new Scorcese film (which he apparently has wanted to do since the 90's) and is based on a novel by the Japanese writer Shusaku Endo. I haven't read the book (yet), but the premise, revolving around the prosecution of Christians in 17th Century Japan and focusing on the attempt of two Portugese priests to find out what happened to their mentor, has me intrigued.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

I've read the book, and it's really deep and meditative. I'm not quite sure how he'll make it work as a film, but it's worth trying.

As for me, there isn't much I'm looking forward to. Doctor Strange and John Wick Chapter 2 are at the top of my list.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As for films coming out next year, I'd say that John Wick Chapter 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 are pretty high-profile for me.

Avaitor

La La Land looks really different from Whiplash, but I'm willing to give anything he's doing a shot after how good that was. And from what I've been hearing, it looks like this does a good job of hitting the classic musical aesthetic, so I'm excited. Arrival looks pretty good, too.

But besides those, I'll be there for the new Marvel stuff and Moana.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My top 10 most anticipated movies of 2017 so far:

10. Murder on the Orient Express
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Kong: Skull Island
7. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
6. Thor: Ragnarok
5. Dunkirk
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
3. Logan
2. War for the Planet of the Apes
1. John Wick: Chapter 2

Avaitor

For next year, I'm definitely excited for the Marvel stuff, including Logan, and Coco. But I'm not even sure about that, since Pixar doing a musical seems weird, and the last time they tried something better suited by Disney (a princess story), it didn't go that well.

I almost put Isle of Dogs on my list, but apparently that's a 2018 film. Still, it's cool to see Wes Anderson do stop-motion again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Just for fun, let's see how my most anticipated movies of 2016 came out.

Quote from: Avaitor on January 02, 2016, 05:01:30 PM
10. The Disaster Artist
Didn't come out, and I'm still unsure about it. I didm't end up seeing the DC movies, but I did get to Finding Dory. It was meh IMO.

Quote9. Kubo and the Two Strings
This might be my favorite Laika movie, and it's not easy competition to begin with. I do wish the voice cast wasn't so white-washed, but it's such a great story, and I love how the antagonist was resolved.

Quote8. X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
I was right to be suspicious. This is Singer's worst X-Men movie to date, and while it's not the worst thing the franchise has done, in hindsight, there's more that I dislike about it than appreciate. I'm still getting the yearbook edition for Christmas, though.[/quote]

Quote7. Moana
A really good second hit from a one-two punch from Disney this year. I really hope that Moana stands among the great princesses in the years to come.

Quote6. Zootopia
As much as I liked the other two animated movies from this list, this might be my favorite film of the year, period. I wasn't expecting it to have such a strong social platform, and to refuse to let its characters be generalized in any way. I really admire that. And it's quite funny, too.

Quote5. Dr. Strange
This turned out pretty okay. Probably the first time that I regret not seeing a movie in 3D, but there wasn't too much special about it plotwise. But I mean, if this is middle-of-the-road Marvel, I think they're doing fine.

Quote4. Untitled Wes Anderson Stop-Motion Movie
Two more years to go.

Quote3. Kung-Fu Panda 3
This one came and went pretty quickly, which is a shame, since it was a good one. I like how both of Po's dads get plenty of time in this entry, and the way it could nicely wrap up the franchise. These movies need more love.

Quote2. Deadpool
This turned out to be everything a fan of the character could ask for and more. I'm grateful that it found a market, and will hopefully shake up not just the X franchise, but comic book movies as a whole

Quote1. Captain America: Civil War
This wasn't my favorite Marvel movie like I was expecting it to be, but it's a damn fine way to start off Phase 3, and it arguably did more damage to the characters than any of their previous movies. You gotta give it props for that.

Mainly, I appreciate that the first films that are following it focus on characters who weren't involved with Civil War much at all, since they need time to breath. I do wish that Spider-Man didn't get fast-tracked so heavily, but hey, if it's good...

Overall, this was a good year for movies. I thought 2015 was actually kind of disappointing, but there was good everywhere. It's getting harder to decide what movies can stay for my list, as opposed to last year, when I was struggling to come up with enough good ones.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

With the exception of Moana, which I haven't seen yet, I pretty much agree with your opinions on all of your other picks.

As for Marvel movies, I'm looking forward to all of them this year, which is surprising since two of them are capping off trilogies to solo series that I didn't really care for to begin with. Well, actually I enjoyed the first Thor well enough, but The Dark World didn't really do anything for me in retrospect. That said, all of the talent and early promotional material behind Ragnarok has been so good so far that I'm already getting excited for this movie. It seems like it'll be a huge step up from the last movie. Likewise, I didn't care for either solo Wolverine movies, but what I've seen and heard about Logan so far has done a phenomenal amount to win me over. Add to that the fact that James Mangold, who did the excellent 3:10 to Yuma remake, is behind this movie, and you have the recipe for something truly excellent, IMO.

Avaitor

I really want Logan to be good, since I need to see proof of Michael Green being a competent and talented screenwriter, given his ties to American Gods and Y: The Last Man. And what I've seen in his filmography thus far doesn't give me a lot of hope.

He's also on board for Murder on the Orient Express, so I should also get to that one, although I wasn't a big fan of the 70's film.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm a fan of the original novel, and Kenneth Branagh being attached to the film is what interests me about it.

LumRanmaYasha

I guess my most anticipated movies of next year would be:

10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - GOTG is one of my favorite MCU films so I'm expecting this to be a good time. I'm not "excited" for it because nothing in the trailers has shown me anything that I'm actively looking forward to, but either way this film being good should be a safe bet.

9. Wonder Woman - I know I shouldn't have my hopes up for any of the DC films at this point, but the trailers for this look good and I know I'll want to see it. WW was due for a solo film and I'm hoping this'll be the one she deserves.

8. Captain Underpants - The book series was my obsession as a kid so I know I have to see this when it comes out. Hopefully it's actually good, but either way it's just kind of satisfying to see this series, something I had a lot of fun and fondness for in my childhood, get a film adaptation after all this time.

7. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - Takashi Miike directing, quite a few good actors involved; some might be skeptical that JoJo's could work in live-action, but with the talent behind this project and the effort they're taking to capture the feel of the series as much as possible going so far to shoot in a town in Italy that looks like Morioh, I think this will turn out really well.

6. Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel - I think this is finally coming out next year. I've been waiting for this for a long time and have heard universally good things about the route these films are adapting, so I'm expecting much from it. At the very least I'm sure it'll be much better than UBW was.

5. Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You! - The second "Mezase Pokemon Master" started playing I knew I had to watch this. A film remaking the Kanto stuff is going to be pure nostalgia pandering and I know it, but goddamn if watching that beautiful-looking trailer and hearing "Mezase" didn't get me excited for it.

4. Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions - Technically this is a 2016 film but it's coming out in the U.S. next month. Like the Pokemon film, this is going to be a big load of nostalgia-pandering, but darn if it won't be a good looking and exciting one. I've been actively looking forward to seeing it for a while now, which reminds me I should preorder my tickets for it pretty soon.

3. Despicable Me 3 - The Despicable Me films are all solid fun and this one should be no exception, especially with Trey Parker playing the villain.

2. Fist Fight - Saw the trailer for this recently and it looks like it'll be a really funny, fun film. I wouldn't be interested in a movie like this if Charlie Day wasn't the lead, but because he is I'm sure I'll get some great laughs out of this flick.

1. The Lego Batman Movie - The Lego Movie was great, and Lego Batman was great in it, and this looks like it'll be just as fun as that movie was. I enjoyed everything I've seen from the trailers and am most actively looking forward to watching it more than any other movie on my radar for next year so far.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm excited for Episode VIII because I want to see what Rian Johnson brings to the table. I loved Brick, Looper, and his Breaking Bad episodes, and given how Disney encouraged Gareth Edwards to go darker for Rogue One instead of telling him what not to do, I'm interested at how Johnson will approach the series.