Author Topic: Most Anticipated Movies  (Read 10734 times)

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
Re: Most Anticipated Movies
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
I noticed that Franco doesn't even attempt for the accent, which isn't that bad of a thing. It's easy to copy, but not as easy to successfully nail, so it might be for the best.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2017, 12:01:24 AM »
Now's as good of a time as ever to do a top 10 most anticipated for 2018.

10- A Wrinkle in Time- I remember reading and enjoying the book way back when, but I'm mainly excited because I think Ava DuVernay is an insanely talented director, and I like seeing Disney make a live-action movie that isn't a remake of their animated classics or a standard sports picture. It's worth supporting for that alone, but it also earns a slot since the trailer's pretty good.
9- Incredibles 2- I'm a little worried about this one. Pixar has yet to impress with a non-toy related sequel, and the teaser was only so-so imo. But I have faith in Brad Bird finding the right story, and I like the idea of Helen being in the lead this time. Unlike Finding Dory and the Cars sequels, I'll be there opening day.
8- Wreck-It Ralph 2- I ranked this one a little higher since it's a little less removed from time than Incredibles, and honestly, it has just as much if not more feel for a sequel than that one. But I am a little worried too. I want more of Ralph and Vanellope, not just princess in-jokes, y'no?
7- Ant-Man & the Wasp- The first Ant-Man frankly worked better than it should have, despite the higher-ups altering what could have been a fun romp through the MCU, Wright style. It definitely felt a little corporate, and there was no reason that Hope shouldn't have had the suit. But it made up for that with a game Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, a heist story that helped to make the MCU formula not feel as tired, and Michael Pena. I'm hoping that this fixes what was wrong with the last one, and doesn't run what did work into the ground. We'll see, but there's a reason that this is the lowest ranking of the three MCU flicks.
6- Deadpool 2- We also have 3 Xverse movies this year, which is a first. After the blahness of Apocalypse, I don't have much faith in Phoenix, especially since the writer of The Last Stand is back on board. The first Deadpool was a sign that for the X-Men franchise to stay alive and be relevant, it needs to venture away from the PG-13 comic book movie cliches it's been adhering to for almost 2 decades. But it also wasn't the perfect Deadpool venture imo- it felt too much like a routine origin story, even as much as the film was mocking said routine. Hopefully this will continue into the sharp madness that the character at his best is capable of. Or it'll become another problematic bore that a depressing amount of comedic sequels have been falling into lately.
5- New Mutants- That said, this is the Xverse movie I'm most excited for. A horror movie for this particular set of characters could work wonders, and prove that Deadpool and Logan were no flukes. My only reservation is that I'm tired of the 80's Spielberg/Stranger Things aesthetic, which, while this isn't miming 100%, isn't too far off from.
4- Avengers: Infinity War- This one is a no-brainer. I'm not the hugest Russo brothers fan, but they have the writers behind the Cap movies behind them, who I fully support. Bring it on.
3- Black Panther- The MCU film I'm most excited for, possibly ever? Ryan Cooglar wowed me twice over with Fruitvale Station and Creed, and I'd be down for whatever he did next. There is not one frame I have not loved of this from what I've seen. Frankly, I'm surprised that this is only third for me, but I'll get to the other two.
2- Isle of Dogs- What can I say, I love Wes Anderson, and I especially loved his last attempt at animation. It's surprising that he went back to stop-motion after gaining the nominations he's deserved for years with his last film, but I'm not complaining. This looks to be equally as enjoyable, if not moreso, than Fantastic Mr. Fox, so bring it on.
1- Mary Poppins Returns- This is my most cautious release of next year. Mary Poppins isn't just any regular old movie to me. It's the spirit of Walt Disney encompassed in one feature. Only the two American Magic Kingdoms are able to compare in how much of his passion and ability to bring magic out of everyone he meets are in this film. Making a sequel is a daunting task, especially with a new cast, primarily a new Mary Poppins. And what if Emily Blunt is the new face of her, taking Julie Andrews away from the minds of younger audiences? But I can't not see it. And not be heavily critical of it. Possibly over and over again. Maybe I'll eventually get to love it nearly as much as the original, if it's possible.

I dread it, but no other film will match it for me in terms of importance for next year.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: December 08, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »
So, I wasn't quite sure where to post this, and it may be somewhat old news by this point, but apparently Quentin Tarantino is currently in talks to direct a new Star Trek film.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2017, 09:16:13 PM »
I don't know if I really like this idea or not, but I'm also not 100% expecting it to make it past development hell.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #244 on: December 08, 2017, 11:00:22 PM »
Oh yeah, I remember there was an interview where he said he really wanted to adapt Yesterday's Enterprise into a film.