Most Anticipated Movies

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 14, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I wasn't quite sure where to post this, and it may be somewhat old news by this point, but apparently Quentin Tarantino is currently in talks to direct a new Star Trek film.

Avaitor

I don't know if I really like this idea or not, but I'm also not 100% expecting it to make it past development hell.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Oh yeah, I remember there was an interview where he said he really wanted to adapt Yesterday's Enterprise into a film.

Peanutbutter

StarScream is the main villain?

SOLD!!!!!  :shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake:

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Here's to hoping Terminator 6 won't be as bad as Genisys.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So with this movie bringing Linda Hamilton back, does that confirm that Terminator 3 and Salvation have now been completely retconned out of canon? I haven't bothered to watch Genisys (nor do I plan to) so I can't speak for that movie's continuity.

Dr. Insomniac

All the recent Terminator installments have been attempts to make a new Terminator 3 instead of following up on each other. Salvation pretended that it didn't happen, and the only vague connection was that John's wife vaguely resembled Claire Danes from the third movie. Sarah Connor Chronicles (whose creator is working on this new film) retconned T3 but then said "Oh yeah, Sarah would have died of cancer like she would have in the third movie if she stayed in her timeline". And Genisys, for all its lunacy, actually did something clever in making Skynet mutated by all these retcons and alternate timelines that it goes insane and throws paradoxes into Sarah's timeline just to maintain its hold. But that leads to Genisys getting into a situation where none of the prior movies are in its continuity because of how broken the time stream is.

Avaitor

So uh, Idris Elba as Bond. On the one hand, it sounds like a good fit. On the other, isn't he a little too, well, famous and busy to play him?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

And Danny Boyle left due to creative differences. Lame.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not really an anticipated movie on my part but I couldn't figure out where else to post this: Detective Pikachu trailer.

Honestly, it's so surreal hearing Deadpool's voice coming out of Pikachu. Like, it's literally just the Deadpool voice, with no alteration whatsoever. I know I should probably comment on the trailer itself, but all I can think about is how Deadpool 3 is just going to replace all of the Green Lantern jokes with Pokemon jokes.

Dr. Insomniac

A live-action Pokemon movie, especially a gritty one about detectives, has been something I've simultaneously always and never wanted to see for years. I await this film with both anticipation and dread.

Avaitor

Now seems like a good time to check out my top 10 most anticipated films from last year. How did they live up to my hype?

Quote from: Avaitor on December 06, 2017, 11:01:24 PM
10- A Wrinkle in Time
I ended up sitting this one out due to its poor reception. It sounds like the kind of movie that I would've really liked at 8, even if it didn't make a lick of sense, but not as much as someone pushing 28. But I'll probably get to it at some point, and I am rooting for Ava DuVernay- I actually just rewatched Selma since it first came out, and it stands leaps and bounds above most biopics I can think of. Let's hope New Gods works better for her.

9- Incredibles 2
I really liked this one, although I am definitely growing weary of Disney and Pixar's constant need for a twist villain. It does get points for not being a buddy comedy and adding a tired sob factor in though, which only Brad Bird seems to get away with.

8- Wreck-It Ralph 2
I was getting a little worried about this one, but I ended up still quite liking it. You could've easily cut out the princess scenes and lose nothing of value imo, but it had a surprisingly graceful take on toxic internet culture, and a mature take on friendships going separate ways? It worked a lot better than anticipated. Also, while it's still a buddy comedy, there's no twist villain this time, so points for that!

7- Ant-Man & the Wasp
I enjoyed this as much as the first, which is fine but not something I intend to come back to or really need more of. They didn't fix what was broken, or much of what was for that matter. Still, I do admire how small scale the stakes were here. It feels like every one of these movies go bigger and bigger, so I like that nothing escapes San Francisco here. Not everything needs to be the end of the world.

6- Deadpool 2
More or less the best possible sequel I could have hoped for. The jokes were funnier, the action stronger, the dramatic elements landed better, and the new characters mostly worked. I can't wait to see more of Cable and Domino, especially if they replace whatever TJ Miller was going to do in it. Let's just hope this defies the law of averages and they go 3 for 3.

5- New Mutants
So yeah, this one took the year off along with Phoenix. I don't think it's going to make my list for this year though, since it sounds like they're toning it down a bit.

4- Avengers: Infinity War
I found this one slightly overhyped, too much of a part one for the end game we're getting this spring. But to call it a misfire would be a mistake. No matter how formulaic and commercial it gets, I'm still MCU trash, and I'd still eat up a dozen more of these.

3- Black Panther
Did we overpraise this one when it came out? Maybe. But I'm still on the film's side. Killmonger is the best comic book movie villain since Heath's Joker (speak of another overpraised comic book movie), and is part of a terrific ensemble both on and offscreen. I was slowly moving away from the hype, but I'm actually getting goosebumps thinking about the film again.

2- Isle of Dogs
This one I was disappointed in. It felt a little more empty than some of Anderson's other films, almost all ambition and not nearly as much charm. But it is technically flawless, some of the best stop-motion animation this side of Laika.

1- Mary Poppins Returns
I liked it. I didn't love it. I'll delve into more later, probably.

New blog!