How do you really define the DC Animated Universe?

Started by hobbyfan, January 24, 2013, 07:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbyfan

A few years back, I tried to start a thread like this over at ToonZone, and was politely told that, to the administrators there, the DC Animated Universe only extends as far as the debut of Batman: The Animated Series in 1992. Fair enough. I didn't want to get into an extended debate on the subject, but then, I thought, there has been some animated representation for virtually every period in comics history, and that's why I wanted to tie everything together, more or less.

So, in truth, where does the DCAU actually begin?

Do we accept the fact that the modern era began, of course, with BTAS in 1992? Or do we dig deeper & further? I'll let you guys decide that, but to be fair, let's consider the following:

Golden Age: Superman stars in a series of shorts that began with the Fleischers, and ended without them, as Famous-Paramount carried on, adding a comedy relief character, Louis, that was a sort-of analogue for the MIA Jimmy Olsen, who'd barely been established in the comics at that time, and would appear in the serials (played by Tommy Bond from the Our Gang comedies).

Silver Age: Filmation's family of CBS series from 1966-70, starting with the New Adventures of Superman, and ending with the first animated Batman series.

Bronze Age: Super Friends, New Adventures of Batman, Plastic Man, and let's not forget Batman & Robin's appearances on The New Scooby-Doo Movies, & Wonder Woman & Superman's guest-shots on The Brady Kids, which set the stage for the original Super Friends series in the first place. Also, Superman's 1988 solo series.

Modern Age: Batman (1992)-present.

Up until BTAS, continuity was not essential in these cartoons, as most stories were done in one's. This lack of continuity gives rise to the fan fiction phenomenon, allowing fans to either rewrite established episodes as they see fit, or create new tales within the confines of selected series to fill perceived gaps.

Any input is welcome.

Daikun

I think it started with Superman: The Animated Series on Kids' WB! Instead of being a bunch of one-shots, continuity actually crept in to the show. Batman: TAS would later be retooled for its KWB revival; the redesigns would be more streamlined and fit better into the DCAU continuity as more superheroes would later cross over.

hobbyfan

@Daikun: I'm not sure if you understand what I'm trying to convey here.

There have been cartoons featuring DC characters starting in the Golden Age. The point I want to make is whether or not we can tie everything together from point A (the Golden Age) forward.

Anyone else?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, when people use the term "Universe" in application to any series of fiction, it typically means that they are referring to a collection of separate works that ultimately exist within the same fictional plain of existence. In this regard, characters from one series can interact with characters from another series that happens to take place in the same "Universe" as their story does.

In regard to the DCAU, which most people would say started with Batman: The Animated Series and ended with Justice League Unlimited, the reason that those series are classified as part of the DCAU while leaving out any of the DC animated works that came out before or after that stretch of time is because those series clearly took place in the same Universe, in which those specific animated versions of the characters based off of DC comic books were clearly able to interact with each other and existed together in the same Universe.

Stuff like Fleischer's Superman shorts and other DC animated programs and features from the golden and silver ages of animation certainly adapted many of the same characters as the ones adapted in the DC cartoons from the 1990's and 2000's, however those were clearly different iterations of the characters that did not exist on the same plain as any of the characters from what people typically classify as the DCAU. That is to say that you'd never seen the Fleischer version of Superman interact with any character from Justice League or such, as that version of Superman does not exist in that series of fiction.

So, basically, when people talk about the DC Animated Universe and only refer to the animated series and movies ranging from BTAS to JLU, they are probably only referring to the fact that all of those animated series take place within the same literal fictional Universe. While there are a plethora of other DC animated works in existence, those are completely different iterations of the characters and comic books, and thus most people don't keep those series in mind when referring to the DCAU.

At any rate, that's the best I can explain for how most people seem to define the DCAU, and only include stuff starting from BTAS.

Daikun

Quote from: hobbyfan on January 27, 2013, 05:52:04 PM@Daikun: I'm not sure if you understand what I'm trying to convey here.

There have been cartoons featuring DC characters starting in the Golden Age. The point I want to make is whether or not we can tie everything together from point A (the Golden Age) forward.

I don't quite think so. Think about the time when the Fleischer shorts were made. During that time period, they were distributed by Paramount, not Warner Bros. WB wouldn't own DC until 1989. The DCAU consists only of the shows that were produced by Warner Bros.

Also, look at the Silver Age. Many different companies tried their hands at the DC properties. Hanna-Barbera handled Superfriends (WB may own them now, but until the mid-90s [even before their purchase of H-B, when B:TAS was still airing on Fox Kids], they didn't). Filmation tried their shot at an animated Superman series in the 60s, and likewise for Ruby-Spears in the 80s (just one year before WB wound up owning them).

So, I wouldn't necessarily count the non-WB material as part of the DCAU continuity. It's like trying to place Adam West's Batman in the same continuity as the live-action movies. Same character, wildly different interpretations (and by different companies: WB vs. ABC).

hobbyfan

Actually, Warners bought DC much, much sooner than 1989. More like in the late 70's, around the time of the first Superman movie with Christopher Reeve & Gene Hackman.

I think I've gotten the answers I'm looking for. Seems that if you want to tie everything together----and this does seem to be falling under the heading of impossible---you'd have to settle for fan fiction. I'm cool with that. Thanks.

Avaitor

I'm pretty sure Warner bought DC in 1969, just after Adam West's Batman ended.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on January 28, 2013, 02:32:09 PM
Leaving said show in limbo, unfortunately.  :'(
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 28, 2013, 05:03:52 PM
Leaving said show in limbo, unfortunately.  :'(
WHERE ARE MY DVDS FOX

WHERE

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

hobbyfan

According to DC's Wikipedia page, National Periodical, which later became DC, was bought by Kinney National in 1967. Kinney later acquired WB-Seven Arts, and became Warner Communications, which we know now of course as Time-Warner. That should settle that issue.