5 Greatest Artists/Bands/Performers/Singers/Guitarists (Etc) from Each Decade?

Started by No-Personality, January 26, 2013, 04:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

I honestly think Hurley's the best album they made. The first one's okay, but I've never gotten why people enjoy Pinkerton so much.

Raditude is the worst one though.

Avaitor

Hurley was released in 2010, right?

Add "Blitzgiving" to the fold, and that was the year of Jorge Garcia.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Avaitor on February 04, 2013, 12:27:27 AM
Hurley was released in 2010, right?

Yeah. I honestly thought it was a pleasant surprise, after the red album and Raditude. Death To False Metal came out a few months after Hurley, but I don't think much of that one either. I just think Hurley had a higher amount of memorable songs than their other albums.

I've yet to hear all of Make Believe and Maladroit though. I do like "We Are All On Drugs", but I've never heard the rest.

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on February 04, 2013, 12:24:19 AM
That's pretty fine. Actually, only the first 2 albums were released in the 90's, so don't you think Dalek gets a pass? ;)
Sure. ;D

I haven't heard Hurley. I'll listen to it sometime.

Commode

Most people tend to like the first three albums and are pretty indifferent to the rest, but I'm one of the weird ones who just really really likes Maladroit.  It's my second favorite of theirs, right behind Blue.  Pinkerton is alright, but I do think it's rather overrated. 

Like I said, I still do like what they put out, but out of Make Believe, Red Album, Raditude, and Hurley I don't think I like any of them more than 3/4's of the way through, even half of the way through on a couple of them.  Weezer's a weird ass band, they can't seem to go for consistency.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I think Weezer's kind of become a singles band as of late. Most of my favorite tracks beyond the first 2 albums have been their singles. "We Are All On Drugs", "Island in the Sun", "Pork and Beans", "Dope Nose", etc.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

Not counting bonus tracks, I still think half the songs on Hurley are shit/filler. It just has the most amount of songs I like from a single Weezer album, so I hope I don't sound like I'm championing it as some musical peak.  :lol:

Weezer's just one of those bands where I tend to only really enjoy 2-3 songs from each album. I think Avaitor's got it right on the singles thing.

Kiddington

Quote from: Comeau on February 04, 2013, 12:17:25 AM
Well wait, what are we talking about here, Blue Album-Maladroit Weezer or Make Believe-now Weezer?

I mean, I like it all(at least most of it all), but I can understand if you hate them after listening to Beverly Hills or something.

I like Beverly Hills.  :shit:

Foggle

50's:
1. Andy Williams
2. Mitch Miller
3. Lawrence Welk
4. Perry Como
5. Pat Boone

60's:
1. Chubby Checker
2. The New Christy Minstrels
3. John Lennon and Yoko Ono
4. Anita Bryant
5. William Shatner

70's:
1. Up With People
2. Abba
3. The Partridge Family
4. Captain & Tennille
5. Pink Lady And Jeff

80's:
1. The Chicago Bears
2. The Serbian Army
3. Milli Vanilli
4. Jefferson Starship
5. Europe

90's:
1. Vanilla Ice
2. C+C Music Factory
3. Herman Cain
4. 2 Live Crew
5. Leningrad Cowboys

00's:
1. Nickelback
2. TETRA-FANG
3. Prussian Blue
4. Brokencyde
5. Drowning Pool / Christian and the Hedgehog Boys (CAN'T DECIDE!!!)

Commode

I think my sarcasm detector is on the fritz, it's not doing anyt- ohp, yep, there it goes.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

No-Personality

Subject to change, but...

90's (Wildly inconsistent but far from suck, just the fact that I felt a 300 singles list adequately fit the 1980's but I couldn't possibly rope the 90's in under 500 proves that - in my opinion, of course)
1. Bjork
2. Beck
3. The Smashing Pumpkins
4. Imperial Teen
5. Bis

The New Millennium (Warning: I'm not that up on this decade, or the one-in progress-after that, so I'm throwing both together)
1. Goldfrapp
2. Rihanna
3. Gorillaz
4. Roisin Murphy
5. Kanye West
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

The 90's is hard for me to rank, since a lot of the acts I enjoy from then only released one or two albums during the decade, which kind of feels like cheating to add up amongst more loaded discographies.

I can only think of two acts from then that have a few albums I quite enjoy across the decade, so I'm going to have to come back to this.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

60s
Beach Boys
The Kinks
CCR
Bob Dylan
The Temptations

70s
The Ramones
David Bowie
The New York Dolls
Thin Lizzy
The Jam

80s
The Replacements
Stray Cats
Fishbone
Run DMC
Megadeth

90s
umm... I'll explain that.

Quote from: Lord Dalek on February 03, 2013, 04:17:37 PM
3. Urge Overkill
Oh wow, I was not expecting someone to list this.

Also, Clarity by Jimmy Eat World is one of the best albums of the 90s. Goodbye Sky Harbor is probably my favorite song of the decade. 16 minutes of goodness. Shame it was co-opted by a terrible genre.

To be honest though, with the 90s it was more about standalone albums than bodies of work. I don't think I listened to any artist that was high quality throughout.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 04, 2013, 04:17:24 PM
70s
The Ramones
David Bowie
The New York Dolls
Thin Lizzy
The Jam
:happytime:

Well, if I had to try this for the 90's, I'd go with:

1- Death
2- Burzum
3- Alice in Chains
4- Megadeth
5- R.E.M.

Death were the first band that came to mind in the 90's. While Spiritual Healing is their weakest album (it only just came back into print in the US for a reason), every album from then on is a massive improvement and progression from the last, in a very well-mannered, intelligent way that more artists don't seem to take their music into any more. It's a damn shame.

Burzum is... well, it's Varg. The guy is nuts, but he's easily one of the 90's strongest musical geniuses. Besides his work in his own band, which is more than enough to rank him here, he was also responsible for Mayhem and Darkthrone's best albums, which also deserve mention.

And the last three is where it gets difficult and controversial.

AIC loses points for self-titled, but man, I never tire of Dirt or Jar of Flies. Facelift and Sap still get decent play from me as well.

Megadeth did become more commercial and a little less fun with each passing album, but they started the decade out with Rust in Peace. That's a hell of a way to start things up, and while each successive album has less songs that I fancy, up until we get to the shitfest of Risk, I just like seeing Dave have a consistent band for once, and they did last throughout most of the decade. A lot of their best stuff comes from this period as well, such as "A Tout Le Monde", "Trust", and "High Speed Dirt".

And I lose interest in R.E.M. after Monster (in hindsight, their last album isn't so bad, though), but those first 3 albums of the decade are enough to put them on here.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I wouldn't argue with any of them. There was a lot of good music in the 90s but I don't think any one artist had a ton of consistency through it. The Brian Setzer Orchestra kind of did, but they have a lot of covers so that's sort of cheating. Even Fishbone started out strong with Reality then fell off the planet by the end of the decade. Even one of my favorite albums from the decade, Tripping Daisy's Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb (no, it's not a Gospel/Christian album) was hurt by the fact their prior albums were generic and their last album came out in 2000 after the guitarist died.

I'm also not that big on Pinkerton outside of the obvious songs, I prefer the Red Album and many of the songs that have leaked out from the post-Pinkerton 90s era more.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton