5 Greatest Artists/Bands/Performers/Singers/Guitarists (Etc) from Each Decade?

Started by No-Personality, January 26, 2013, 04:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

You know me. My quota consists of about 90% heavy stuff, with the rest going into jazz and some indie and pop. I can't think of too much to really recommend you, since we're pretty different musically.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

Well, I guess I don't know you that well. I mean, I had plenty of "hard" music in my 90's list. I just don't know of the "harder" bands of the last decade and change.

My list was only lacking of "heavy" material I've never heard. It's not lacking because I didn't think it was any good.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Hmm, I think I might send you a PM later. I want to set up a list for you, and need time to figure out the right songs.

In the mean time, I'll check out some of what I've missed here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

Top of the 10's... It's a little early to call it but early enough to make a list that you change a lot (which is fun).

Could change at any time:
1. "All of the Lights"
2. "Somebody That I Used to Know"
3. "Alive"
4. "S&M"
5. "Telephone"

Also... I'm doing that Top Singles of the 1990's list again. I've got my list of over 1,700 songs and I'm working on that right now. It'll probably take me a couple weeks but the final list will probably be something like 999 (as a gimmick). I might post it here since I'll die before I ever do this again- the amount of discography scouring I had to do was beyond insane. I practically spent all day Tuesday and Wednesday with war paint on chugging through every person on my list and then I just tossed the last 6 or 7 people away (they were: Kylie Minogue, KMFDM, Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, Vanessa Williams, Des'ree, and Vanilla Ice). Because I was pulling my hair in "haven't slept in days" insanity. So, aside from that, and that I kinda flat-out ignored most metal and country artists, I'll be pretty happy with the final product. Plus, I can always go back and look them up. Along with Metallica, EMF, The Donnas, and Black Box, all of whom I realized today that I forgot. Until the list is stone-set. Because then, that's my Tombstone-writer. I'm so proud of just being done with my humongous list. Of about 4 dozen artists I wasn't very familiar with - Disco Inferno? Ride? Black Sheep? Primal Scream? Boards of Canada? Actually never heard them before a few days ago.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Quote from: Avaitor on February 05, 2013, 11:06:04 PM
This is gonna be tough

00's/10's:

1- The Mountain Goats
2- The Kills
3- Agalloch
4- Opeth
5- Silversun Pickups

Each act here have displayed a wide variety and extreme virtuosity and merit over their frequent contributions in the past 13 years. This can change at any time, but I think this is fine.
I wanted to put Ghost somewhere on here, but honestly, I still stand by this list. All I might do is switch #2 and 3 around.

The Mountain Goats have elevated far beyond any other hipster act out there and have truly become one of the most distinctive folk acts in history. John Darnielle was a strong contender to be our poet laureate for a reason.

Agalloch use samples in a way unlike any other non-rap artist out there. From using Bergman soundbites to the tapping of a skull, they rarely ever mess up in the mixing. Not to mention that their music is constantly a depressing side of perfect.

I know some semi-hispterish guy who can't stand The Kills. Nuts to him. They're the best at what they do, by far. The closest thing to the Stones we've got since the Stones started turning to crap, and Alison has one of the most unique voices out there.

Opeth have basically transcended genre at this point. Besides every type of metal imaginable, they've also been able to pull off jazz, folk, but American and traditional Scandinavian, basic hard rock and even hints of R&B. They have very few duds in a surprisingly large discography.

SSPU have become an act who have pretty much surpassed all of their influences, from the Pumpkins to MBV. It's amazing to go back to their minimalist sounds in Pikul to how big and angry they sound in their newest album. One more LP on that level, and they'll definitely have a spot in the rock greats.

As for Ghost, they're more than just a novelty act. Those 2 albums are close to perfect, for metal fans and beyond.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on August 30, 2013, 09:54:24 PM
The closest thing to the Stones we've got since the Stones started turning to crap
Not to disagree with your words but, New York Dolls, Flamin' Groovies, and several other bands have been doing it better than the Stones since Sticky Fingers.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 30, 2013, 10:06:11 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 30, 2013, 09:54:24 PM
The closest thing to the Stones we've got since the Stones started turning to crap
Not to disagree with your words but, New York Dolls, Flamin' Groovies, and several other bands have been doing it better than the Stones since Sticky Fingers.
Welll, I like the Stones up to Some Girls, so I'm biased there.

Also, I'd argue that NYD were so good at doing their own thing that they don't really qualify. Cause they did.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

You need a listen to Teenage Head, son.  O0

Supersnazz and Flamingo are excellent, too.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton