Your thoughts on Superman?

Started by Daikun, January 28, 2013, 12:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

I'm curious to know: What do you guys think of Superman?

He's the prototype of the modern-day superhero. He has a heart of gold and stands for everything good in the world. Mentioning his name evokes a sense of pride and triumph.

Yet he's criticized for being maybe a bit too much of a goody two-shoes, he's overpowered and near-invincible, exceedingly simplistic in character.

What do you guys think of the Last Son of Krypton?

Dr. Insomniac

*expects GregX to write a venomous screed*

Well, I think he's portrayed well when the writer realizes that Superman is not a human. The reason most adaptations or depictions fail is because of how they try to bring him down to our level by giving him stuff like illegitimate children, high school angst, and other turmoils. You have to think outside the box and try to make inhuman in order to get things to work. When a guy like Mark Waid realizes this, they create gold. When a man like Joe Straczynski doesn't understand, you get an atrocity that has no reason to be in print. Really, I take Bill's speech from Kill Bill to heart when understanding who Supes should be.

Still, it has become rather sad on DC's part that the best incarnations of Superman have been outside of the company's actual grasps like Irredeemable's The Plutonian and Supreme.

Foggle

Silverstar

My current sig sums up my view on Supes.

"Superman is someone you're supposed to look up to ... not someone you're supposed to relate to ... that's what Spider-Man is there for."

The problem with trying to humanize Supey is just that: he's not human to start with. He's supposed to be a larger-than-life, incredible being and a heroic ideal.

The best way to write him (IMO) is to start from that point and go forward from there.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Spark Of Spirit

^Your sig kind of reminds me of the difference between Marvel and DC in general.

All in all, I agree with everyone else on this.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 28, 2013, 01:37:32 AM
*expects GregX to write a venomous screed*

Well, I think he's portrayed well when the writer realizes that Superman is not a human. The reason most adaptations or depictions fail is because of how they try to bring him down to our level by giving him stuff like illegitimate children, high school angst, and other turmoils. You have to think outside the box and try to make inhuman in order to get things to work. When a guy like Mark Waid realizes this, they create gold. When a man like Joe Straczynski doesn't understand, you get an atrocity that has no reason to be in print. Really, I take Bill's speech from Kill Bill to heart when understanding who Supes should be.

Still, it has become rather sad on DC's part that the best incarnations of Superman have been outside of the company's actual grasps like Irredeemable's The Plutonian and Supreme.
I love that Kill Bill scene.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 28, 2013, 02:37:34 PM
^Your sig kind of reminds me of the difference between Marvel and DC in general.

All in all, I agree with everyone else on this.
What's the difference?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Silverstar

I think Spark is saying that overall DC's heroes are more larger-than-life and ideal while Marvel's are more human and relatable.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

GregX

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Superman himself is not the problem, the problem is half the people who write for him didn't know how to handle him. To me, Superman: The Animated Series is a great example of how good a character Superman can be if he has the right people on the other side of the pencil. Alan Burnett and Bruce Timm did a fantastic job with him. There, Superman had flaws, both external and internal.

I really hope Man of Steel manages to do something at least similar. If nothing else, I hope the movie means we can have another genuinely good Superman cartoon.

Goldstar

Quote from: Peanutbutter on January 29, 2013, 07:39:46 AM
Superman himself is not the problem, the problem is half the people who write for him didn't know how to handle him. To me, Superman: The Animated Series is a great example of how good a character Superman can be if he has the right people on the other side of the pencil. Alan Burnett and Bruce Timm did a fantastic job with him. There, Superman had flaws, both external and internal.

I really hope Man of Steel manages to do something at least similar. If nothing else, I hope the movie means we can have another genuinely good Superman cartoon.

Seconded. I hope that Man of Steel doesn't tank so that the viewing public will develop a new found interest in Big Blue. I'd like for MoS to do for Superman what the 2008 Iron Man movie did for that character.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!