And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: No-Personality on February 08, 2013, 05:52:18 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 04, 2013, 07:12:31 PMHonestly, I find his other movies to suck too.
Ever seen Only the Lonely?
No, and I'm not sure how Chris Columbus was brought into this conversation. Even if the producer is familiar.

The Reserved Nutcase

-I can't say I find the Hangover (and I DO mean the first one, don't get me started on the almost identical-to-the-first sequel) that funny, it was OKAY, but not the outrageously 'comedy of the year' type movie that most people seemed to make it be back in 2009.

-Going back 20-something years, who remembers Problem Child?  I actually liked Problem Child (1+2) better than the first two Home Alones (which were alright, but Problem Child made me laugh out loud).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

-I don't really hate Michael Bay movies that much. A lot of them are bad movies....but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't entertained by quite a few of them. As for Transformers, I get it after re-watching them that they go too far with the crappy things that Michael Bay movies are known for, and for that they can really grate on people's nerves (that said, I still find the first movie to be a guilty pleasure of mine). As for Michael Bay's output before Transformers, though, while some of those other movies are also pretty bad, I find some strange entertainment value out of most of them, and at their worst they are pretty inoffensively bad. Actually, some of Bay's older movies like Bad Boys and The Rock are probably only even mediocre at worst, rather than downright bad. At any rate, for whatever the reason is, I can't bring myself to hate this guy or his movies as much as everyone else does.

-I like Ghostbuster II. I actually REALLY like Ghostbusters II. I had a lot of fun with that movie. Its definitely not as good as the first movie, but I never really got why so many people seemed to dislike it. I thought it was a really entertaining sequel, myself.

-I think that E.T. is kind of....boring. I respect the movie and all, but no matter how many times I watch it, I honestly can't find it that interesting. At best I've been mildly entertained by it, but its certainly not one of my favorite Spielberg films.

-I'm not a fan of Quentin Tarantino. I'll give the guy a lot of respect for his provocative film-making and putting out so many classics (even if I don't consider any of his films to be classics), but for whatever reason I've never found any of his films to really click with me, with the surprising exception being his last 2 films, Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained. And, even then, I wouldn't say that I loved either of those movies, but I did actually enjoy them thoroughly throughout their runs. As for stuff like Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, etc., I just wasn't able to get into any of those movies. Now, to be fair, I DO plan to give Pulp Fiction yet a 3rd try to see if something about it works for me this time around (the last time I watched it was about 4 years ago, and my views on good film-making are constantly changing, so you never know what I might dislike one day and enjoy the next), but as it stands, it never really appealed to me that much on my first 2 viewings. I do know that it is one of Avaitor's favorite films, though, so its not like I don't acknowledge that its great, but I just really haven't been able to connect to it on any level, myself, as of yet.

No-Personality

Quote from: Cyberville Outcast on February 08, 2013, 09:29:11 PM-Going back 20-something years, who remembers Problem Child?  I actually liked Problem Child (1+2) better than the first two Home Alones (which were alright, but Problem Child made me laugh out loud).
I rewatched the first Problem Child about a year ago and... the first hour of the movie is literally the kind of awful that defines "awful." It was actual "the kid was evil from birth" but it hurts when people don't understand him. Which is odd because he is evil. And a brat. And he pissed on people who were nice to him, for nothing more than the sake of a joke (and I mean he urinated on them). And the movie then, after proving that they don't need to- they'll torture any kind of person, invented characters to be nasty to the kid to give him a reason to do something horrible to them. This motivation wasn't necessary when his baby bonnet-thing was being passed from door to door. Sure, every single home he went to had mean people living there. Sure. And every nun at the orphanage was a bitch. Yeah. And the only one who understood him was John Ritter. That's why he drove a freaking van through Ritter's father's store and got him fired / dis-inherited (until the sequel, that is). The movie couldn't be more hypocritical. In fact, why the hell did they bother to keep having the "touching" scenes where Ritter gives the kid another chance? It was... like... some kind of a joke. But it didn't make any sense. Like: family values are for suckers and touching family films are for suckers. Okay. That's a decent set-up for a movie. But the jokes weren't a form satire, much less biting. They were unearned, unironic anarchy with no target. No meaning. No value. Therefore, no humor. Hell, it's been a million years since I've seen either of these movies but I'm willing to believe either Mikey (1992, also about an adopted kid who terrorizes people... then murders them) or The Paperboy (actually, I think this is about a kid who kills people too - but the style is much closer to Problem Child- or the Child's Play sequels, which the PC's are indebted to) were closer to actually being about something kids could relate to. The first two Home Alone movies were definitely better. At least real kids could almost relate to Kevin. His family was actually nasty and obnoxious without him doing anything to deserve it. And it didn't feel forced (well, that forced) for the sake of bad comedy. The slapstick-a-thon (which was definitely a lot more fun than in the PC's) came after we got a lot of character stuff that certainly isn't award-worthy but it tried.

Oh, man: to hell with people who don't at least think Ghostbusters 2 is okay. I adore it too. It doesn't have to be as good as the first movie, it just has to be good. Because the first movie is great. And, it was good. Very good.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

The Shadow Gentleman

How come every time I think of something EK posts it first?

Avaitor

The retreading of the first Ghostbusters in the sequel annoys me a little more each time I watch it, but I still get a kick out of II. I mean, it's still Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, and Hudson.

Although I do prefer The Real Ghostbusters cast personally.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Reserved Nutcase

Quote from: No-Personality on February 09, 2013, 12:53:00 AM
The first two Home Alone movies were definitely better. At least real kids could almost relate to Kevin. His family was actually nasty and obnoxious without him doing anything to deserve it.

You make a good point, I'm actually going to slightly retract what I said because of this statement alone (as it also sparked more memories inside of me).  Although the Problem Child movies, in my opinion, were/still are a lot of fun for me to watch, the overall premise in Home Alone was better set up.  Although I haven't watched the film in a year or two, I do remember always feeling sorry for Kevin more than Junior from Problem Child (the latter having his moments of sympathy, mainly in the first PC movie, but our sympathies for him shatter within minutes for obvious reasons).  If a kid like Junior existed in real life, I bet his parents would have immediately sent him away to be locked up like Hannibal Lecter :D.  Despite that, I still get a lot of laughs watching the Problem Child movies (and I just thought of this now, but maybe part of what draws me into Problem Child more is that it's one of those movies that's so unrealistic, it's funny. Like you said, after all that happened to Ritter because of Junior, why/how, before he found Junior's nice drawing of him, does he have the sanity to give him another chance?)

talonmalon333

Some unpopular opinions of mine.

-I think Avatar had a good storyline. I mean sure, it wasn't Godfather quality. But the story and characters really work in this world and it definitely sucks you in.

-I believe Moulin Rouge is a fine film. Many say it's really style over substance. But really, a huge part of the appeal of musicals is being engulfed by the spectacle and the music. And this one did that. And the song "Come What May" holds some nostalgia value for me, in addition to being a great song anyway.

-I love the second half of WALL-E. Many say it goes downhill at that point. And I think I can agree that the first half is the best part, but it's not like it actually goes downhill. And I really love the imagery in the end, of earth being an uninhabitable wasteland, with the remaining bits of humanity floating as mere blobs in their ships with their whole Buy n Large lifestyle.

And... I had a few more. But for some reason I'm drawing a blank. I'll list more when I remember.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 09, 2013, 12:42:40 PM-I think Avatar had a good storyline. I mean sure, it wasn't Godfather quality. But the story and characters really work in this world and it definitely sucks you in.

My problem with Avatar isn't the story-line itself. Its that I feel that other movies have done that same story-line much better, like Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai. And they also did it without having top-quality special effects to boast about (though, to be fair, both of those films were high-budget movies back when they were made, as well).

Quote-I believe Moulin Rouge is a fine film. Many say it's really style over substance. But really, a huge part of the appeal of musicals is being engulfed by the spectacle and the music. And this one did that. And the song "Come What May" holds some nostalgia value for me, in addition to being a great song anyway.

That's really not an unpopular opinion, as the movie got a ton of praise from critics when it came out and did fairly well with general audiences as well. Its just that Doug Walker has raised a bit more hate towards the movie when he lashed out at it with his opinions. On the whole, though, he's the one who's still in the minority opinion, as far as I can tell.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 09, 2013, 02:23:08 PM
My problem with Avatar isn't the story-line itself. Its that I feel that other movies have done that same story-line much better, like Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai. And they also did it without having top-quality special effects to boast about (though, to be fair, both of those films were high-budget movies back when they were made, as well).

You've got me there. Dances with Wolves crushes Avatar (didn't see Last Samurai). :thumbup:

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 09, 2013, 02:23:08 PM
That's really not an unpopular opinion, as the movie got a ton of praise from critics when it came out and did fairly well with general audiences as well. Its just that Doug Walker has raised a bit more hate towards the movie when he lashed out at it with his opinions. On the whole, though, he's the one who's still in the minority opinion, as far as I can tell.

I take that part back, then. I knew how popular it was, but Doug gave me the impression that it gets its share of hate. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, Doug DID put it as his top choice on his list of the top 10 films that he hates but that everyone else LOVES, so I think its safe to assume that even he acknowledges that its an unpopular opinion to hate the film, on his part. ;)

As for me, I've never even seen the movie, so I really have no opinion on it.

Avaitor

I don't understand why Jean-Luc Godard is such a prick when it comes to modern movies. The guy hasn't been relevant since the 60's, and was far from the most exciting new wave director, but he acts like he's Jesus compared to people like Spielberg or Cameron.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of James Cameron, I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I think Aliens is a better movie than Alien. I LOVE both films, but I find Aliens to be a better sci-fi action movie than Alien is a sci-fi horror film. Also, if you guys know me at all, you know where Aliens stands on the list of my favorite movies of all time. ;)

Avaitor

And while we're at it, I prefer the first Terminator to T2.

New blog!