Unpopular Opinions You Hold About TV Shows

Started by Kiddington, February 04, 2013, 01:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

I only vaguely remember watching Lightspeed Rescue and Time Force, and that was more for the theme song and super powers then anything else.

Avaitor

I was one of the typical 90's kids that loved MMPR, but yeah, my interest faded out fast after In Space.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, a show becomes questionable when even the alumni think it's crap.

GregX

Quote from: Kiddington on February 11, 2013, 12:34:48 PM
To be honest, I don't think I've ever liked Power Rangers. Even as a kid.

There, I said it.

I was twelve when it first started, and it aired while I was in school. I think, even then, it was something I would have enjoyed while younger. But it wasn't something I sought out.

Then season of of Power Rangers aired against season two of "Gargoyles" and we all know which show I watched. I know it's petty, but I never quite forgave it for beating "Gargoyles" in the ratings wars.

Peanutbutter

^Power Rangers also killed Sonic's SatAm incarnation.

I loved Mighty Morphin when I was little, but I already lost interest in it just before they changed to Zeo. I got back into it when Wild Force came on because I thought that season's Zords were cool (and they were) and it reminded me of the original seasons because the mechs were animals again. I fell out again when they went to SPD. I genuinely like Time Force (so much so I rewatched it all on YouTube) and kinda felt SPD would be a poor man's version of it.

I also still like Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder.

Spark Of Spirit

I like Power Rangers, but I'm not all too into sentai as a whole so my appreciation for it isn't as high as some.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

I am WAITING for Netflix Watch Instant to start picking up classic Nick live-action shows... By that time, they'll have done something stupid like drop the Britcoms or shows I still haven't gotten around to yet (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sunny in Philadelphia, How I Met Your Mother, Red Dwarf, Buffy the Vampire Slayer- yes, I am going to re-watch that show sometime in the near future).

Oh yeah... they re-uploaded Coupling... with 5 minutes cut per episode AND curse words censored. I could kick Netflix right now. And I don't mean drop them. Unless you thought that meant over a cliff.

Anyway, weird sideline rant, I want to see if Clarissa is any better or worse than I remember but I just remember enjoying it. And Salute, YCDToT, etc. I don't remember most shows from my childhood being good or bad. Just enjoying them.

And, I freaking loved the Power Rangers when I was a kid. For awhile, there was no pressure on kids where I came from to hate the show. And, I still watch it when I can. Only, I do it entirely in guilty pleasure mode. I know it's terrible now but I adore watching the first 3 seasons (and a little bit of Zeo). And I skip a semi-significant portion of the battle scenes. Because I agree- they all go exactly the same way. Except, I do watch some of the final monster battles. Depending on what monster the Rangers are fighting. You might not believe this but I love different parts of the show for different reasons. It can be tossed a little credit- the costumes, powers, and zords are actually freaking awesome. Still. The monsters are silly and ridiculously easy to defeat but... guess what? I love watching them. I even have favorites (I have been wanting to make a concrete list for some time and for that I'll have to watch the entire first 3 seasons again). I watch the "teens going about their normal lives" portion because Angel Grove doesn't resemble a single recognizable place in America... or maybe on Earth. Which is the opposite of, let's say, wanting to watch something like Pollyanna or Lady and the Tramp because it reminds you of a by-gone era. It's not just that the other high schoolers look anywhere from 30 to 47 years old. Or that all dialogue from almost any extra is dubbed. And that is not a reference to footage of Japanese crowds running carried over from the original Japanese series. The people look fake. Everything everywhere pretty much looks fake. Frankly, people dress like they're from another continent cut off from the rest of civilization and have their television, movies, and music bussed in, ala- The Truman Show. I've never seen another movie or television show that was as freakishly (and compellingly) artificial. Cheap though it may be.

And, if I've never mentioned it here before (I think I mentioned it on UD), the pilot episode of the show went in an extremely different direction. I predict it would have been a legitimately interesting (and maybe even good) show if it had stuck to that formula. I actually laughed. At something they intended to be humorous. (The show as we know it should be infamous for its' abysmal attempts at humor. No, I don't care how many cakes you fall face-first into: it's not funny. Anyone else notice the show had a real Cake Curse? If you ever see one, it will soon be married to Bulk's face. Or, in one episode, Bulk's mother's face.) As a group, the rangers weren't turned into role models or ultra-clean and sparklingly moral dorks. They were just having fun and had to get physical when Bulk's gang showed up and got in their face. Which was also extremely different than on the show we know. Bulk and the people in his gang were much less goofy. The music wasn't full of "wah-wah" horns and lame sound effects. They stormed in and really messed with the rangers. I think it was the original yellow ranger (who was French, I believe, instead of Asian) - whose character's name I don't remember - Bulk or someone really grabbed in closeup and tried to yank away like some kind of RoboCop biker / street criminal. Then the fight scenes were actually really violent. Just the scenes with Bulk's gang. The kicks were real and shown a lot more close or with more impact. Instead of prat falls (or whatever the terms are) and "brain over brawl," Jason, Zack, and the Yellow Ranger character really beat the hell out of Bulk and his gang. For a kids' show. There were a lot more differences. Mostly in terms of style. But the dialogue and characters were written so much more realistically.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Commode

I don't know if saying that I never liked Power Rangers as a kid is accurate, I just never really paid attention to it.  I watched a lot of Fox Kids in those days, but I remember nine times out of ten I would tune out before the show came on.  It just wasn't a big thing for me.

The only real memory I have of anything Power Rangers was my little bro had a Blue Ranger action figure, which not too long after he got it I broke one of the arms off.  He was upset about it initially, but he got over it rather quickly.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Commode

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

haha

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but my first crushes as a kid were Kimberly the Pink Ranger and Clarissa Darling. Moreso the characters than the actors themselves, but I do think AJJ and MJH have aged well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

The Young Ones and Spaced are the only funny British TV comedies ever made.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on March 04, 2013, 06:39:20 PM
The Young Ones and Spaced are the only funny British TV comedies ever made.

Avaitor

Eh, the only time I've ever found John Cleese funny was when he was on Cheers.

Some things just don't translate to everyone, sorry.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

They're in English. Any translation kerfuffles or references everyone won't get come from high-brow sitcoms like Yes, Minister. Otherwise, most Britcoms have humor that's rather accessible. Absolutely Fabulous has two women being awful to everyone else. Fawlty Towers has the absurdity of a man who hates people having to work in an occupation where he's forced to socialize with other people. Father Ted is about priests becoming the very figures that their religion abhors. It's about how conflict results in hilarity.

That's like someone saying, "Hey, I Love Lucy, Frasier, and most other American sitcoms suck because I just don't understand those jokes. Whatevs."

Avaitor

But I just don't find the lot of them funny. That's it. Fine for everyone else, but nothing can appeal to every single person alive.

New blog!