DWA cuts 500 jobs.

Started by Daikun, February 08, 2013, 05:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Things aren't looking so good for DreamWorks. Due to lackluster holiday sales, several of their planned projects are being delayed or cancelled.

Source

Avaitor

Sucks.

I'm sure this wouldn't have happened if Rise of the Guardians didn't basically tank.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

Its funny how Dreamworks has had more flops in its still relatively short lifespan than its archrival Pixar ever has.

Spark Of Spirit

I thought Madagascar 3 was a surprise hit?

But yeah, Guardians flop doesn't surprise me. That looked totally lame.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 08, 2013, 11:58:39 AM
Not enough to offset Guardians.

Avaitor

Guardians probably would've done better if it didn't have such a similar name to that owl movie.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Their output for this year doesn't look all too hot, either.

Quote from: Lord Dalek on February 08, 2013, 01:18:52 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 08, 2013, 11:58:39 AM
Not enough to offset Guardians.
Ouch.

But yeah, the title sure didn't do it any favors.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Reserved Nutcase

Quote from: Avaitor on February 08, 2013, 10:55:14 AM
Sucks.

I'm sure this wouldn't have happened if Rise of the Guardians didn't basically tank.

Yeah, and Rise of the Guardians was a good film too (at least in my opinion). 

Dreamworks Animation has been gradually getting their act together since Kung Fu Panda, I hope this loss doesn't affect the quality of their films made from hereon in. 

RacattackForce

Quote from: Lord Dalek on February 08, 2013, 11:19:37 AM
Its funny how Dreamworks has had more flops in its still relatively short lifespan than its archrival Pixar ever has.
To be fair, Pixar being such a success is a huge anomaly in the world of entertainment. Not any many studios have such a string of successes to the extent that Pixar has. Anyway, it's horrible that so many jobs were lost. Hope those folks have found or will find new jobs if they haven't already. Hopefully, The Croods and Turbo will help DWA.

Silverstar

The Croods had a strong debut (it opened at #1 its' first weekend, dropped to #2 its' second week, but it's still in the top 5) and the reception for it seems to be positive (Team Snob liked it, anyway), but Turbo, based on what I've seen and read about it, just sounds weird. It could prove to be either an unexpected success due to how unusual it is, or unintentionally hilarious.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.