What Are You Listening To?

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

Dire Straits- "Money for Nothing"

Been on an kick with these guys lately, as well as a few other old acts. Yeah, I guess I do mostly listen to old people music.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

As opposed to kid music or mopey teen music?  :P

It's always been just music to me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, I guess. Most people call it dadrock or old people music when I mention that I'd rather listen to stuff like Steely Dan and The Doors than most shit from today.

Now I'm playing that one song by that one band that became like the biggest hit ever. Like, Stairway to Teen Spirit or something.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

When I think of "old people music" I usually think of showtunes from the 30's or something.  I grew up with Zeppelin and Aerosmith and Lynyrd Skynyrd and all that shit thanks to my dad(didn't really jump into "modern" music until the mid-90's, with Green Day and The Offspring being my first real tastes of it), and despite the fact I think it's bad to generalize it so, I usually just refer to it as classic rock.

Besides, how can people blame you for listening to Steely Dan over 3OH!3 or whatever other shit is all over the radio these days?  I don't see how people can listen to more than two or three consecutive songs really.  I love listening to the "oldies" stations;  listening to America or Chicago or even Carly Simon is something I'd rather do than hear another awful Katy Perry song.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

People are just ignorant like that. I'll give anything a chance, but I do dislike most crunkcore and modern pop that I've heard, while a lot of people here act like the music industry didn't exist before Thriller.

It's not even like I hate all modern music. I'll name artists from the past few years that I like left and right, even more popular stuff like Eminem or Demi. If something's good, it's good. But if I use the radio, more often than not, I'll leave it on a classics station.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I wonder why Nirvana isn't old people music yet? That stuff is getting into two decades old now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

There is some pop music that is alright or even good.  I know I've mentioned before that I like much of Rihanna's music.  Lady Gaga, even though I don't particularly like her, has some pretty good pop songs.  But it's the generic shit, the auto-tune, the soft-ass rap, the boyband revival shit, all the Usher soundalikes that really kill me.  I can listen to some really bad pop music from past years, like Frankie Goes to Hollywood or Wham!, but none of it is less-inspiring than the pop music of today.  Sometimes it comes off like the people singing the songs don't even like what they are singing, like they are well aware that they are there strictly to make Warner Bros. or Sony BMG money, and they aren't having fun with it at all.  Hell, even "Karma Chameleon" made the band sound like they were having a good time making it.

Avaitor

I have heard about some classic rock stations playing RHCP and Pearl Jam now, so Nirvana shouldn't be too far behind.

The main classic rock station here is weird, though. They pretty much stopped playing all 60's music, stuff from Zeppelin's first two albums aside, and mostly play bands like Van Halen, Aerosmith, and Rush. They also recently just added Black Crowes and Illusion-era GNR, so I don't know if we'll get older alternative on there any time soon.

There's a couple of other stations on here, but they're mostly top 40 from the 60's, 70', and earllllly 80's (except for one that plays Michelle Branch for some reason), and one that plays anything from the 80's to today, so I don't know what's up with all of them.

New blog!

Commode

Back home we only have one true classic rock station(but half a dozen country stations.  Go figure), The Eagle, and they are pretty good at covering the bases.  Yeah, they played a lot of Zep or Kiss or Def Leppard, but they'd also sneak in some CCR or Allman Brothers.  They completely stray away from anything made past the 80's though, spare stuff like "Living on the Edge" or "Mary Jane's Last Dance". The other former classic rock station used to focus on the heavier classic rock, and played more hairmetal than their competitor.  Unfortunately, people in Boise didn't much like that anymore, so the station got flipped, and it's almost like a Bob/Jack FM of rock, where they will play Van Halen one moment and The Pretenders the next.

This one right here though, this was the one I was talking about.  SUPER HITS OF THE SIXTIES AND SEVENTIES!  107.1 K-HITS!  Bring on the Supertramp or the Elton John.

Spark Of Spirit

Once again the 50s gets left out. If only there was a station that would play everything without clear bias for a certain artist or era.

We used to have a classic rock station, but literally every time I turned it on, it was the Beach Boys. I like the Beach Boys, but they were not the only classic rock act to ever form.

Commode

Yeah, the 50s are kinda scarce now.  We had another oldies station that played 50s music up until about five years ago, but it's now one of those half a dozen country stations I mentioned.

Avaitor

No 50's here either.

Occasionally, VERY occasionally, the classics station that also plays Michelle Branch will put "Mystery Train" on, but that's it.

Damn shame, too, since I'd love to hear some good old rock n' roll here again.

New blog!

Commode

What classic station plays Michelle Branch?  That's fucking ridiculous.  Yeah, Boise had a station that played that, it's called Mix 106, but it's played alongside Madonna and Sixpence None The Richer, not The Beatles or some shit.

Spark Of Spirit

I can't stomach alternative station, either. It's always some lame and bland Nickleback clone and generic modern rock. They don't play real alternative, just music with distortion.

But yeah, radio sucks. I don't see that changing any time soon.  :lol: