Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on February 07, 2011, 06:47:30 PM
9- Gladiator- Haven't seen, so no comment. A lot of people seem to hate it nowadays, though.

Really? Most people I know love this film, and the fact that its so well liked is why Doug put it up on his list. It does have its fair share of haters now, just as all popular films do, but honestly, I haven't seen all that many haters for it these days, and if they do hate it its usually for pretty poor reasoning that is completely subjective anyways. Even all Doug could say was that it was bland to him, but personally I found it to be quite the opposite, in that I was simply entertained by it. For some reason I think people go way harsher on that film than it deserves rather than actually trying to be entertained, just because they don't thin its that great.

But, whatever, its their loss, as far as I'm concerned. Gladiator was a pretty entertaining movie, IMO.

Avaitor

It's one of those movies that I seem to see a lot of dislike for nowadays. I don't know if it's warranted or not because I just haven't got around to seeing the thing.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Angus

okay herea are my thoughts
10- Cars- I still like Cars, but it's for younger kids, and there's a sequel. Really?
9- Gladiator- It's decent but it's like all those other Romans movies.
8- Avatar- It lacks the kids' jokes and charms that made the TV series entertaining.
7- With Honor- Haven't seen. Wouldn't know the difference between that and Prizzi's Honor.
6- American Pie- The anime geeks must love stuff like this since they make so many ecchi comedies. It's got some funny moments though and propelled the careers of those youngsters.
5- Signs- This one's decent to me, although like many of his other movies, can only be watched once.
4- Nell - sounds like an oldie, I think I skipped that
3- Matilda- comparable to most Disney and kids movie fare, nothing outstanding
2- District 9- One of my friends liked it.
1- Moulin Rouge- ugh that was annoying, I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes. It's almost as annoying as that Mamma Mia cheerfest, but at least Mamma Mia has Abba songs and those are cool. Bleh 70s and 80s music should not mix with 19th century looking stuff unless it's an intentional fish out of water story. And anyone who knows about the real Moulin Rouge would be appalled.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

Quote from: Angus on February 07, 2011, 09:19:19 PM
8- Avatar- It lacks the kids' jokes and charms that made the TV series entertaining.
I think you have James Cameron's Avatar confused with The Last Airbender.

Funny, because usually people get that the other way around.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Angus

Oh, whoops. :sweat: I guess having M. Night on the list had me going.

Well the James Cameron Avatar one hmm, plot was decent even if it had to be predictable, the graphics looked like something out of Final Fantasy, the sound and special effects were good. People like it for the same reasons why people watch Titanic, well, except for no Leonardo D'Caprio.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Angus on February 07, 2011, 09:33:10 PM
Oh, whoops. :sweat: I guess having M. Night on the list had me going.
Except nobody liked The Last Airbender.

Spark Of Spirit

They both sucked. There, happy?  :thumbup:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Desensitized on February 07, 2011, 09:38:16 PM
They both sucked. There, happy?  :thumbup:

I can live with that. Even though I will go on the record and say that Avatar deserved every award in the Technology Department. Those are the only awards it deserves.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't really feel that Avatar sucked as a movie when looked at on its own, but I will say that it certainly sucked by James Cameron's standards. I was really disappointed that the guy who created some truly revolutionary and inspirational sci-fi films in the past made something so insanely cliche like this movie. I mean, its still fun for what it is, but it doesn't seem like something that someone of Cameron's status would churn out.

Spark Of Spirit

That's essentially what I meant. By James Cameron standards... It's pretty low on his resume of films.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It was a good list and I agree with it but the title is pretty misleading. This time its not so much about bad moments (he literally only named a couple of bad "moments"/scenes out of the entire list), but rather just flaws that the Spider-Man movies had in general. And also, he's completely right about how much people overreacted to Spider-Man 3. ALL 3 Spider-Man films had extremely cheesy dialogue and over-the-top acting (though I for one actually liked Willem Dafoe's over-the-top acting for The Green Goblin just like I like the over acting that certain other villains do that makes them fun to watch, even if you can't really take them seriously). I could name just as many stupid moments from the first 2 films that are easily just as bad as any of the 3rd movie's stupid moments (granted that I will admit that the emo and dance scenes pushed things too far, but they each only lasted about 5 minutes each, so its not like they made up the whole entire movie).

The only complaint that still baffles me is the one about Spider-Man appearing in front of the American flag. I mean, he's there for like, what, 2 seconds? Its just a stupid nit-pick complaint that really holds no weight. Other than that, though, the NC covered everything else that was wrong with the films down pretty well. I personally liked them for their over-the-top cheesy-ness (which is pretty much Sam Raimi's main style, anyways), and while I myself would have preferred a more serious take on the character, these movies were still fun for what they are much like how the Evil Dead movies are fun for what they are. Of course you're not really supposed to take them seriously, and in Spider-Man's case, you're only meant to partially take it seriously at certain points. Other than that, though, the movies are just over-the-top entertaining popcorn flicks. In this regard, there's no way that you can say that SM3 was bad because of this and not claim that the first 2 movies were pretty much just as bad for having most of the same problems. I also think its really stupid how SM2 is considered to be such a great super-hero movie when its just plain silly most of the time.

Avaitor

Here is Doug's 10 movies that he likes that everyone hates.

10- Huh, I thought this one of Shamalyan's better received films. Haven't seen it so I can't comment.
9- Haven't seen, so I can't say. It sounds better than Sandler's usual stuff though.
8- I agree pretty much completely with him here. Decent but could have been better.
7- Didn't see. Didn't interest me.
6- Not a big fan of the franchise, but my uncle is, and this is the best movie of them.
5- I haven't got into anything Star Trek besides the movie yet, so I can't comment.
4- Didn't see. Not a big Carrey fan.
3- Only saw the first. Did not like it, even in 99.
2&1- Fair enough.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I saw that list last night and meant to post about it but didn't have the time to get around to it. Anyways, here are my thoughts on his choices:

9 & 10- Never seen either of them, so I can't comment on them
8- I remember liking this movie as a kid, but its been ages since I last saw it and I can barely remember anything about it, so I'll have to check it out again sometime in the future
7- I thought that it was as mediocre as a film could possibly be, but I certainly didn't hate it, so I'll give it that much
6- I was never interested in the Narnia books or films, but to be fair since I haven't seen this movie I can't really judge whether its good or bad, but really I'm just indifferent to it
5- Yet another film that I haven't seen
4- Once again, I haven't seen this film for pretty much the same reasons as Avaitor
3- I used to be in that phase where I liked The Matrix but really when I look back on it the entire trilogy is pretty much trash
2- YES! If there's one thing on this entire list that I agree with him 100% on, its this movie. I always acknowledged its flaws, but there is no way that anyone can really say that this film was that bad without completely hating on the first 2 films as well, which had just as many ridiculous moments. Personally I was entertained by the film for what it was, and I really feel that the massive amount of hate for it was overblown way beyond what it really deserved criticism for (and I agree with its main criticisms, but I disagree that there was nothing good the movie, as it was still quite entertaining, IMO)
1- I can understand and respect Doug's opinion on this one, but on the contrary I didn't find this to be so big and epic for the 3rd movie. It only looked big and epic because it just had a lot of mutants in it, but almost none of them had any character beyond just being there for a couple of appearances, and the action scenes were highly underwhelming for the most part. By biggest problem was that this film just failed to make me care about any of the characters, though, whereas the 2nd film had me completely invested in them, and even the 1st to an extent. The problem with this film was that it was just extremely plain and boring, IMO, especially in comparison to the first 2 movies.

Foggle

10. I actually really liked Unbreakable, tbh.
9. I absolutely hate anything with Sandler in it, but Punch-Drunk Love is probably his most tolerable movie.
8. I love Atlantis! I didn't know this movie was widely hated. :(
7. Hancock wasn't terrible but I REALLY didn't like it.
6. Absolutely hated The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (the book) and have no desire to ever see any of the Chronicles of Narnia movies.
5. Star Trek: Nemesis? It wasn't in any way good, but it was certainly better than a lot of the other Star Trek movies.
4. I hate Jim Carrey and have purposefully avoided watching The Cable Guy because of this.
3. I still like the first Matrix movie for whatever reason, but I was never big on the sequels. Reloaded was far better than Revolutions, though.
2. I hate Spider-Man 3, but at least I could stay awake through the whole thing, which is more than I can say for the second one.
1. I've never been a fan of the X-Men movies, honestly. I might have seen the third one, but I don't really remember anything about it.