Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/
Discuss any and all video reviews on the site, including Nostalgia Critic, 5 Second Movies, Chester A. Bum, Nostalgia Chick... ah, you get the picture.

Anyways, what better place to start than the NC's review of the first story arc for the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, Turtle Tracks.  I really like the idea of a Raiders of the Lost Arc segment, and I look forward to seeing more from it(like maybe the arc that started off Ducktales).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

It's a pretty good review. I got a lot of laughs out of it and I agree with Doug. The original TMNT is far from perfect, but on the right night, it's great for some nostalgia.

Personally, I want to see him go through the DuckTales or Transformers pilots again above anything else. Rescue Rangers, G.I. Joe, TaleSpin and Thundercats are other likely candidates that I think would turn out to be interesting. I'll be up for any of these.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Doug's best and worst of 2010 are up.

Only saw his worst as of this post, but I gotta agree with what he said about Alice in Wonderland and Easy A. Trying to shove logic into Alice is like trying to turn The Pianist into a comedy. And with Easy A, it attempted to be an homage to John Hughes, but it tried too hard to feel hip and liberal. Hell, it made Juno look layered and complex.

Avaitor

This hasn't been used in a while, has it? I have two questions to bring it back to life, and I'll answer them myself when I get up tomorrow.

1- What did you think of Sequel month? Better than Arnold or Nickelodeon month?
2- Do you mind that Doug isn't posting up a schedule any more?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm indifferent to the 2nd question, as I rarely ever bothered to check out any of his schedules when he posted them up, anyways, but as for the 1st question, I think Sequel month was OK. None of his reviews were bad or boring, and I generally enjoyed each of them, but as far as his January month specials go, I still find Arnold Month to be his best by far, with this one coming in as 2nd by default. Obviously Nickelodeon Month was his worst (which was also his first time doing something special for the month of January) but at the same time it wasn't as "dreadful" as people made it out to be. Its just that the Critic was obviously too biased in his opinion based on what he grew up watching with Nick compared to the later shows that came on after he stopped watching. He gave positive enough reception to the shows that he remembered as a kid, but unfairly looked at the shows that came on after he stopped watching Nick, clearly showing that he was letting pure nostalgia control his opinion (and on top of that, it didn't even seem like he had watched more than a few episodes of the shows which he wasn't familiar with, such as Hey Arnold!, just to name a single example). That said, I still say his Good Burger review was brilliant, and made up for a lot of the crap from the previous reviews of that month.

Personally, I loved all of the reviews that he did for Arnold month, including Junior, which was pretty underrated among his reviews, IMO.

As for this month, his quality was pretty consistent. None of his reviews were bad, and I generally enjoyed each of them, but at the same time nothing he did really stood out all that much this month, either. So, on the whole, the month went alright. Not great, but still pretty solid, IMO.

Avaitor

The thing with Nick month is that he made so many bad decisions. For one, Kenan & Kel is easy as hell to find online since it aired in the UK for years. He could have easily found something other than the movie to watch.

For another, has he never heard of All Grown Up? Why did he mention what would happen to the Rugrats if they grow up without referencing the show and special? I know that was way after he got out of Nick, but it wasn't that unpopular, and easy to look up online.

And the rest of his videos sound like he doesn't really know much about any of these shows at all and only watched two or three episodes each of them. On top of that, they just weren't funny. If he had a little more time, they could have been better, but I'm still disappointed over them.

I'll agree that Arnold month was better, but I enjoyed sequel month as well. Especially NIMH 2 and Ferngully 2. I thought he questioned the consistency of Care Bears 2 too much, considering the type of movie it was. He was really picking at straws with that one.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

This was an underwhelming review. I don't think the Critic can really do "so bad it's good movies that well".

Which reminds me, I don't get why his review of The Room is so liked. The movie is far funnier than any one's commentary could ever be, and all of the add-on's he put into it are annoying, specifically the cameos and the future crap.

If you watch the movie for yourself, you'll see what I mean.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Doug lists down the top 10 movies that he hates but that everyone else seems to love in this video.

Surprisingly, I pretty much agree with him about every movie on his list to some extent, except for Gladiator which I wholeheartedly disagree with him on in every regard. And to be fair, in this case his only real complaint for it was that it felt bland, boring, and generic to him, which is about as subjective as it can get. Personally, I thought it was really entertaining, and while the characters weren't really memorable, they were likable enough, IMO.

As for everything else on his list, though, I agree with him to at least some extent, with the exception of With Honor and Moulin Rouge, both of which of movies that I have never seen and therefore have no opinion to either agree or disagree with him on. For what its worth, though, I pretty much know that MR is the type of movie that I would hate, myself, so I would probably agree with him on that one.

Let me briefly go over what I think of his list for each choice:

10. Cars- Completely agree with everything he said about the movie
9. Gladiator- Completely disagree with everything he said about the movie
8. Avatar- I agree with him that it has a weak story and is very overrated but at the same time I don't think that makes it a bad film by any stretch, it was still fairly entertaining for what it was, and while its not what I would call a good film, its really honestly far away from a bad one
7. With Honors- I haven't seen it so I honestly have no opinion on it
6. American Pie- Fuck yes! I've always hated this movie. He pretty much nailed why exactly its a bad movie that somehow got overrated to death
5. Signs- Yeah, I pretty much agree, though I think it was more stupid than so bad its hilarious, all-in-all
4. Nell- Yeah, its pretty much garbage that was only made so that Jodie Foster could try and win an Oscar, and I HATE Jodie Foster, even in Silence of the Lambs (as a matter of fact she's the only thing that really hurt the quality of the film, IMO)
3. Matilda- Well, I don't hate it, but I never really liked it, either, and I agree with most of his criticisms on the film
2. District 9- Pretty much the same as Avatar, in that I totally agree with his criticisms of the film, but I also feel he goes overboard in downright hating it because he only hates it because its far more popular than it deserves to be, but judged on its own its far from a bad film, and its also fairly entertaining for what it is, but its true that this movie has absolutely no originality to it whatsoever
1. Moulin Rouge: Another movie that I have honestly never seen, but in this case I can already tell that I'd agree with Doug on it, anyways.

So, overall, I can personally approve of most of this list except for Gladiator.

Next week he says that people who got pissed at him for this list can "take their revenge" on him when he lists down his top 10 movies that he loves but everyone else seems to hate. In all honesty that may just prove to be an even more interesting list to see than this one.

Avaitor

10- Cars- Easily Pixar's worst film, I'll say that much
9- Gladiator- Haven't seen, so no comment. A lot of people seem to hate it nowadays, though.
8- Avatar- Fair enough. It's definitely not a film you need to buy to own.
7- With Honor- Another one I haven't seen
6- American Pie- Despite Alyson Hannigan, I never liked this one at all. Honestly, I think the teen comedies from this era are way better than the ones from around that time.
5- Signs- This is another one like Gladiator where I don't think too many people like it anymore. I always hated it, but to be fair, I also hate everything else Shamlyan, and had before he went south.
4- Neil- Also haven't seen
3- Matilda- This is one I liked as a kid, and I saw it a bunch back then. I think I might need to rewatch it to see what I think about it nowadays
2- District 9- I don't quite agree with Doug, but he has some good points. Even when I first saw it, I thought the movie had bad narrative changes and that the lead guy wasn't too likable.
1- Moulin Rouge- Also haven't seen, and I never thought I was missing much, anyway.

New blog!

Foggle

10. ...There are people who actually liked Cars?
9. Gladiator is fucking awesome. I love it.
8. I'm not a fan of Avatar, either, but I wouldn't say I hate it.
7. Never seen this one.
6. American Pie sucks balls and the series gets worse and worse with every shitty sequel.
5. Jesus Christ, Signs. It wasn't nearly as bad as Lady In The Water or The Happening, but it was still total garbage IMO.
4. Never even heard of this one.
3. This film is pretty meh. Far from bad, though.
2. District 9 is great! Sure, the apartheid similarities are obvious and groan-worthy, but it was a pretty cool movie I thought.
1. I've never been a fan of Moulin Rouge, but I don't think I'm really the target audience for it.

Spark Of Spirit

Moulin Rouge is proof that as long as it has fancy costumes and singing and dancing (but not animated!) the Academy will throw awards at it like a little kid throwing bananas into a monkey cage.

Chicago is also proof of my theory.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I don't think Sweeney Todd won anything when it was eligible.

Good thing Nine didn't either. The Fellini fan in me still can't get over that shit.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I believe Sweeney got the same token nods the other Burton stuff did. Mainly art and sound nods.

If anyone other than him did it, I bet it would have won best picture over whatever actually deserved it. Just like Chicago did.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I liked Cars, for what it was.  Sure, the story was weak, and the Larry the Cable Guy tow truck is annoying unless you're a total redneck, but those are the only things I think is wrong with it.  Other aspects, such as the other voice work(Paul Newman, George Carlin) was awesome, I liked a lot of the detail in it(stuff like the bugs being actual VW Bugs), and being a car guy I loved all the references to automotive history and racing, even if I'm not a big Nascar fan.  It may be Pixar's worst, and I may end up agreeing with Doug once I actually watch the review, but I don't think it was a bad movie in any way.

That said, I will say making a sequel really is stretching it, especially since two of my biggest defenses(Paul Newman and George Carlin) won't be in it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.