Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on February 15, 2011, 07:28:43 PM
8. I love Atlantis! I didn't know this movie was widely hated. :(
Yeah, it kind of has the same reputation as Treasure Planet or The Black Cauldron, in that they're not movies that Disney typically tries to do and that they aren't regarded as well as the classics.

I like just about all of the DACs, aside from Home on the Range and Chicken Little which I haven't seen and probably won't get around to for a while, and Brother Bear, which just plain sucked. I understand why those movies aren't well regarded, but it kind of sucks to see them so often forgotten.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on February 15, 2011, 07:34:47 PM
Yeah, it kind of has the same reputation as Treasure Planet or The Black Cauldron, in that they're not movies that Disney typically tries to do and that they aren't regarded as well as the classics.
The Black Cauldron was one of my favorite Disney movies growing up. ):

Spark Of Spirit

X3?

Oh man... I can't defend that mess. Not in a million years.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on February 15, 2011, 07:38:27 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on February 15, 2011, 07:34:47 PM
The Black Cauldron was one of my favorite Disney movies growing up. ):

To add to that, The Hunch Back of Notre Dame, while still closer to the style of the more popular Renaissance animated Disney films, never seemed to get too great of a reception from critics and even Disney fans alike, when it really deserves a lot more credit than what it has ever gotten. I believe that it just has the misfortune of being released at the wrong time, when people weren't ready for a much darker type of Disney film like it, and it probably left a bad taste in people's mouth at the time. That's just a theory, but I can't help but feel that a bunch of people have an unfair bias towards this movie for some sort of reason like that.

Spark Of Spirit

I like the Black Cauldron, too. But I also like most "dark age" Disney films as much as the "classic" ones.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I hope that Mort is a step in the right direction for Disney when it comes out.

As much as I liked PATF and Tangled, I think they can rightfully take a break from fairy tales for a while, and I'd like to see them try another more action-based film again. Mort seems like a possibility to do for them what Black Cauldron and Treasure Planet couldn't.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on February 15, 2011, 11:07:49 PM
I hope that Mort is a step in the right direction for Disney when it comes out.
As long as they do their best to translate Pratchett's humor from prose to screen, it most certainly will.

Avaitor

He's doing commercials again, and it's glorious again.

I think the Critic has been a little hit or miss lately, but this is easily the best review he's done in a while. I would love to see him do more commercials but I'm afraid he might have peaked on this set.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be perfectly honest I was pleasantly surprised by his review of The Lost World. I easily find it to be his best review of the year so far, and while that's not saying much considering that we're still in February, I personally found it to be one of the best reviews that he's done so far counting all the way back through the past 6 months or so, at the very least.

Avaitor

Anyone here watch Todd in the Shaodws? He reviews bad pop songs, and is pretty good at it.

His latest one is very good. I mean, damn.

New blog!

Commode

I watch those on occasion, whenever someone posts it.  He railed a lot on Kesha last year, not that that's really hard to do.

(shit, still need to watch the commercials NC).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Yeah, he got down on her a bit. He really seems to hate Bieber, though. And I think it's warranted.

i don't know if I told you this, but Rissa has recently become a Belieber, so I have to deal with him more than I want to. We occasionally go on TinyChat, and the last time we did, she played some of his music to mess with me, and I nearly banged my head on the desk.

I think she is pretending to be more of one than she really is to mess with me and the admin on the board we go to, because he really resents Bieber for dating Selena Gomez. But everyone who sees that movie becomes a fan, and it's annoying. I think it brainwashes everyone who goes to it, which explains why there are so few bad reviews of it.

What's worse, my (older) sister wants to go see it too. And I have to deal with her all week now.

Ugh. Sorry, just can't stand the guy.

New blog!

Commode

Well, I don't have a little sister, and despite the sterotype, most people in the Navy aren't gay, so I thankfully don't have to hear Beiber.  I see him or his image on occasion, but really I don't love him or hate him, he's just kinda there.

Don't worry though, he'll fade away, eventually.  After all, it was only a couple of years ago that The Jonas Bros were the big thing, and now where the hell are they?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

They still have a following, but it's not as big now as it was a couple of years ago after Kevin got married, Joe proved himself to be a bad boyfriend with Demi and Taylor Swift and an asshole without them, and Nick did some side project no one liked.

So two out of three of them ruined their chance to be popular with the ladies, and no one cares about the other one. Not to mention there's Bieber for girls to fall for now.

...fuck, I know too much about this shit.

New blog!

Avaitor

On another note, has anyone seen the past 2 NCs?

I loved his Inspector Gadget review. I used to watch the original as a kid since Nick used to show repeats of it until the mid-90's, but I hated that movie. Even at age 8, I thought it was stupid as shit, and the review reminds me of why. Doug really ripped into it and got some good laughs out of it.

And then he did another Old vs New with the original Karate Kid and the recent remake. To be honest, although I did watch the original as a kid, it wasn't a film that I particularly loved more than others and haven't seen it ages. Meanwhile, I wasn't expecting much out of the new one, but when I went to see it, was surprised at how much I liked it. It's a solid kids flick that works surprisingly well for older viewers as well.

I can't tell whether I agree with the Critic or not on this review since it's been so long since I watched the original, but I did think that the remake being so straight forward did hurt it a little, and that since the new one didn't fix the old one's cliches that he called out, I think that might hurt it rather than help it win.

I'll just let it slide for now since I should rewatch the original soon.

New blog!