The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius

Started by Avaitor, March 12, 2013, 09:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

So this show has been coming back on tumblr, and I'm all for it.

This is why.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

This was a pretty great show, from what I remember. Probably the best Nicktoon of the early 2000's. That said, I do remember, even as a kid, a couple of clunker episodes. Jimmy and Cindy were also jerks waaaay too much for my liking, and sometimes Sheen's stupidity could be overwhelming. That said, there were plenty of episodes I loved, especially the television movies, which were just dynamite. I have to give this a rewatch sometime to clarify my feelings about the series (and I plan to once I commit to my Netflix challenge), but I have fond memories of Jimmy Neutron, and I'm sure it holds up just fine.

Side Note: Jimmy's dad is the best goofy dad to ever exist in children's animation, in my opinion.

Avaitor

I always liked Jimmy Neutron when it was on, but I don't think that I really started to appreciate it until the show ended while Fairly Odd Parents kept on rolling. I was a fan of both shows when I was younger, but after I reevaluated both shows a few years ago, I realized just how awful FOP was, yet JN stuck with me.

The crazy thing is that I don't even really know why I like the show so much. The show's mix of school-based antics and scientific adventures wasn't a new concept at all, the characters weren't especially well-rounded, and there were a few too many plotholes in the more story-heavy episodes, but somehow, I'm just not annoyed by any of it more often than not. I just like it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be honest, I could never really get into the show, but I could also never bring myself to hate it. Honestly, it was mostly just Dexter's Lab fanboys who hated it, anyways. Granted that, I'm one of the few people who personally prefers DL to JT, as the former is just more my style of humor, but that said, I can respect the show for what it is. I did find it to be a lot more clever than a bunch of other Nicktoons around at the time, and for anyone who has actually watched the show, it isn't a DL rip-off at all, as ignorant fanboys like to claim it was (the show really couldn't be more different in terms of style and humor).

That said, while I can respect this show for what it is, like I said, the specific type of humor that it went for, while not bad, just didn't click with me. Also, I wasn't a fan of the art-style, but to be fair there's a lot of cartoons that I like where I don't care for the art-style. At any rate, there were a few notable episodes that I do actually like, but I'm struggling to remember which ones they were, as I'm horrible with remembering titles. Maybe I'll describe them later, though.

Spark Of Spirit

The biggest issue is how unlikable most of the characters can be. But I do admit it can be quite funny unexpectedly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 15, 2013, 09:59:06 PM
The biggest issue is how unlikable most of the characters can be. But I do admit it can be quite funny unexpectedly.

Yeah. Even as a kid a lot of the characters acted in ways that annoyed me. However, they all had enough redeemable traits, and the humor was good enough, that for the most part I enjoyed the episodes. I think this show is a lot funnier than people give it credit for, although really the more adventure oriented and dramatic episodes were the ones that I remember most fondly. I should re-watch some of them sometime and see how they hold up.

Kiddington

Surprisingly, it holds up quite well. You wouldn't think, given how largely forgettable Nick was during the Aughts, but it has its moments.

One thing, though; I still can't forgive them for those awful FOP crossovers. That was just too much.

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on March 19, 2013, 08:02:02 PM
One thing, though; I still can't forgive them for those awful FOP crossovers. That was just too much.
Yeah, even back when I actually liked both of those shows, I still thought that shit was awful.

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on March 19, 2013, 08:05:31 PM
Yeah, even back when I actually liked both of those shows, I still thought that shit was awful.
Same.

Well, I only saw the first, but that was enough for me.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I remember Timmy being particularly frightening looking in 3D.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Well, to be fair, I DID like them as a kid. No way can I sit through them now. Although, Dr. Calamitus makes the second one almost bareable to sit through, but only just almost.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 19, 2013, 08:24:56 PM
I remember Timmy being particularly frightening looking in 3D.

Same. Even Cosmo and Wanda looked weird in CGI there. Though I will say that Jimmy Neutron cast being drawn in Butch Hartman's art style was at least not as eye-bleeding as 3D Timmy.

LumRanmaYasha

I always thought the FOP characters to be hideous in CGI, even as a kid. However, I still think the Hartman style designs for the Jimmy Neutron cast were pretty good.

Daikun

Shout! Factory is releasing the Complete Series on DVD on October 26.

Pre-order it on Amazon.