Trigun

Started by The Shadow Gentleman, March 18, 2013, 05:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Watching the movie was what inspired me to go back through the series. Badlands Rumble might just be an extended episode, but watching it proved to me there isn't quite another anime out there like it.

I still really like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, but Trigun is my favorite of the three.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Count me in on one of those who likes H.T ever so slightly better than Tank!. Through the Night beats them both though.

QuoteCertainly, but I've never understood why people compare them. They're pretty different shows, despite both being sci-fi anime westerns. Now, Bebop and Outlaw Star, on the other hand...

Probably due to both of them coming out around the same time, and being Space Westerns (even though how they combine sci-fi and westerns is very different).

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 28, 2013, 12:55:01 AM
Watching the movie was what inspired me to go back through the series. Badlands Rumble might just be an extended episode, but watching it proved to me there isn't quite another anime out there like it.

I still really like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, but Trigun is my favorite of the three.

I'm gonna try and give Badlands Rumble a rewatch this weekend. I wouldn't mind more one-shot movies for Trigun, it really lends itself well to the idea (for obvious reasons).

Spark Of Spirit

It's not amazing or anything, but it's more Trigun so it's more than welcome to me. Just the way the plot, characters, and action scenes play out is Trigun to its fullest and I think we're just so used to Trigun that we don't realize we haven't had anything like it since the series ended. Sort of like the Cowboy Bebop movie, actually.

I do remember when the first volume came out a long time ago animefringe (an old anime online magazine) gave the first volume a D grade. Even at the time I wondered what he was going on about.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Yeah, there hasn't been an anime that blends style and substance so masterfully, while still feeling inspired like the Space Westerns are. Not too say there aren't any other anime that blend style and substance, or feel inspired, but they just don't have that same "feeling".

Foggle

Agreed, but I think Fujiko Mine and Baccano come close.

gunswordfist

Ugh, there's nothing wrong with Monster being a straight adaptation. How exactly could it have been better if they changed things around? I think how they adapted a manga that was like a western comic book into anime is praise worthy enough. By western comic-like, I mean how it had moments where you can't tell who an offscreen (usually talking) character is which is common in western comic books. The Monster anime team handled that in a number of ways like making characters change their voice so the surprise won't be given away or how I assume they had Roberto knocking on a door in a certain scene instead of talking. Monster's story didn't need to be changed 'for the better` at all. Usually only battle shonen need story changes for various reasons.

And it's even dumber that ek complained about Monster being a straight adaptation without reading the manga (at least at the time) How would you know if Monster could be better if they changed things in the anime if you haven't read the original story? Please tell me how. Just because some of your favorite shonen anime had some great changes from their manga doesn't mean it should automatically apply to Monster. It's very different from those.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 28, 2013, 03:13:26 AM
And it's even dumber that ek complained about Monster being a straight adaptation without reading the manga (at least at the time) How would you know if Monster could be better if they changed things in the anime if you haven't read the original story? Please tell me how. Just because some of your favorite shonen anime had some great changes from their manga doesn't mean it should automatically apply to Monster. It's very different from those.

I read the manga way before I watched the anime. Foggle, Desensitized, and Avaitor can all even vouch for this. Where did you even get your facts from? For that matter, I was a fan of BOTH the manga and anime long before you were. Don't tell me that now you are being like Talon and pulling shit straight out of your ass just because you can't come up with any decent arguments against people's opinions.

Also, how do you even know what my reasons are when you clearly never even heard them? Please tell me how? I don't mind Monster as a straight adaptation, but since you clearly don't actually read any of my actual opinions on anything (as proof by the fact that you even got your information about my history with the series dead wrong), I'll go ahead and make it simple for you: it's a little thing called effort. The writers of Yu Yu Hakusho IMPROVED upon the source material and made it a great watch for both people who had never read the manga as well as people who had read the manga. It didn't change the story (which isn't what I even wanted in Monster, which you clearly don't get because you never even knew what my argument was), but rather enhanced it by adding in great character moments where they could and should exist in the story, and also better explaining some material that was very vaguely explained in the manga. Of course, you wouldn't know this because you never read the YYH manga, yet you have the balls to criticize me for not reading Monster when I actually did read the whole thing an entire year before the anime was even broadcast on Sy-Fy.

Basically, my point is that I'm not asking the writers to change the story, but to use their talents to do more with it than just copy/paste the manga. I liked the anime fine, for that matter, but I found the manga to be MUCH better because it was much more enjoyable when I read it for the first time, whereas all the anime did was just take what the manga did and add color, just a little bit of motion, voice-acting, and some music in the background. That's just standard-procedure. It's nothing special. Talented writers could at least use their abilities to expand the world and characters a bit. Really, all the Monster anime was for me was a glorified motion comic, which I never even said was a bad thing, but if that's all it's going to be I'd prefer reading the manga since I can at least go over that at my own pace. I will say that I really enjoyed the English dub for the anime, which is why I stuck around for the whole thing, but a dumb-ass like yourself wouldn't get that there is more to a quality adaptation than just playing it safe and copying exactly what the original author did. The fact that you give people credit for that is ridiculous.

Spark Of Spirit

Trigun took the source material and improved on it as a whole. Monster took it and presented it as is.

There's nothing wrong with what Monster did (since the manga is pretty flawless), but as an original work I would rather watch the Trigun anime over reading the Trigun manga.

I can't say the same for Monster.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 28, 2013, 05:35:07 PM
Trigun took the source material and improved on it as a whole. Monster took it and presented it as is.

There's nothing wrong with what Monster did (since the manga is pretty flawless), but as an original work I would rather watch the Trigun anime over reading the Trigun manga.

I can't say the same for Monster.

Yeah, pretty much this. I enjoyed watching the dub of Monster once. From now on, though, I'd rather just re-read the manga every time I want to go through the story again, rather than watch the anime again. To be honest, even the first time I watched the anime felt less interesting than when I read the manga, because being that I read the manga first (once again, I'd just like to point out what an idiot GSF is) the anime was 100% predictable for me and didn't throw in anything new or original that could really entice me to watch it over reading the manga.

Something like Trigun is actually different enough from it's source material (yet keeps the same spirit of the manga) in a way that you can read the manga and really enjoy it, but still watch the anime and love it just as much or even more for how different, yet how great, it really is.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 28, 2013, 11:39:28 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 28, 2013, 03:13:26 AM

I read the manga way before I watched the anime. Foggle, Desensitized, and Avaitor can all even vouch for this. Where did you even get your facts from? For that matter, I was a fan of BOTH the manga and anime long before you were. Don't tell me that now you are being like Talon and pulling shit straight out of your ass just because you can't come up with any decent arguments against people's opinions.

Also, how do you even know what my reasons are when you clearly never even heard them? Please tell me how? I don't mind Monster as a straight adaptation, but since you clearly don't actually read any of my actual opinions on anything (as proof by the fact that you even got your information about my history with the series dead wrong), I'll go ahead and make it simple for you: it's a little thing called effort. The writers of Yu Yu Hakusho IMPROVED upon the source material and made it a great watch for both people who had never read the manga as well as people who had read the manga. It didn't change the story (which isn't what I even wanted in Monster, which you clearly don't get because you never even knew what my argument was), but rather enhanced it by adding in great character moments where they could and should exist in the story, and also better explaining some material that was very vaguely explained in the manga. Of course, you wouldn't know this because you never read the YYH manga, yet you have the balls to criticize me for not reading Monster when I actually did read the whole thing an entire year before the anime was even broadcast on Sy-Fy.

Basically, my point is that I'm not asking the writers to change the story, but to use their talents to do more with it than just copy/paste the manga. I liked the anime fine, for that matter, but I found the manga to be MUCH better because it was much more enjoyable when I read it for the first time, whereas all the anime did was just take what the manga did and add color, just a little bit of motion, voice-acting, and some music in the background. That's just standard-procedure. It's nothing special. Talented writers could at least use their abilities to expand the world and characters a bit. Really, all the Monster anime was for me was a glorified motion comic, which I never even said was a bad thing, but if that's all it's going to be I'd prefer reading the manga since I can at least go over that at my own pace. I will say that I really enjoyed the English dub for the anime, which is why I stuck around for the whole thing, but a dumb-ass like yourself wouldn't get that there is more to a quality adaptation than just playing it safe and copying exactly what the original author did. The fact that you give people credit for that is ridiculous.
Hmmm, I sweared you asked about the manga.  :thinkin: I get you dumbasses mixed up. And effort? That's it? There was no reason for them to change anything. They put more than effort into the show. Sounds like you're just using a blanket complaint to me and you named no actually ways they could have improved upon anything. Effort... :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

They could have put more into the action sequences, had less stiff movement, and had a bit more color in there.

So yeah, it could be better. Not to say that it's bad or anything.

Spark Of Spirit

One of the funniest line reads in the show:

Frank Marlon: (While Vash is vomiting) ... disgusting.
Vash: I'm sorry!

Just the perfect whiny and pathetic yell, and being told off by a lush? Even funnier.

LumRanmaYasha

While I also prefer the anime to the manga, I'd still say Trigun Maximum is fantastic, in different ways. Plot-wise the manga is much, much bigger and the sense of what's at stake is made more intense generally. Mostly, though, I think the manga's strength is in the villains. Pretty much all the Gung-Ho Guns that appear in Maximum are better characters, in that they are more than two-dimensional obstacles serving mainly to force Vash to kill, but actual characters with reasons and feelings that have reasons for doing what they are doing or otherwise have interesting pasts (Emilo and Hoppered in particular come to mind). While Knives works as a foil for Vash in the anime excellently, I have to say that manga Knives is much more interesting in his motivation and character, so overall I enjoyed him more as an antagonist there. I prefer the cold, emotionless Legato in the anime, but Eleindra filled that role sort of and manga Legato is still a great villain through his obsession and devotion to Knives. I loved the story outside of a couple weak parts mainly in the beginning and the last arc, and of course, Wolfwood and Vash vs. Livio/Razlo and Master Chapel and Livio/Razlo v. Eleindra are two of the most epic and brutal fights I've ever read in any manga ever.

My main gripe with Maximum, honestly, is Millie and Meryl, who aren't very well distinguished in personality of characterized in the manga in contrast to the anime where the differences between them and their role in the plot is essential. The art in some scenes can be a little confusing sometimes as well, particularly in the final battle between Vash and Knives. As a whole I prefer the anime, while lacking some of the better characterizations and moments in the manga, because as a whole all it's elements came together in a well-paced, thoughtful, and substantial narrative that felt whole and satisfying every step of the way all the way to the end, whereas the manga, while still great, has it's fair share of weak spots and pacing, and so quality-wise it isn't quite as satisfying in comparison. Still, I think everyone who likes Trigun should read the manga all the way through and make their own opinion, because whether you think it's better than the anime or not, I honestly think it's still a great story, and anyway, anything Trigun is good enough to check out at least once.  ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 28, 2013, 10:16:17 PM
Hmmm, I sweared you asked about the manga.  :thinkin: I get you dumbasses mixed up. And effort? That's it? There was no reason for them to change anything. They put more than effort into the show. Sounds like you're just using a blanket complaint to me and you named no actually ways they could have improved upon anything. Effort... :D

Uh, Yeah, Nice try attempting to save face for your idiotic accusation, but my point makes perfect sense you dumb-ass. The anime is just a copy and paste job of the manga and the cold hard fact of the matter is that ANY animation studio can do that. I'll give Madhouse credit for not botching up the anime and having a good use of music in there, but there's absolutely nothing about the anime for Monster that makes it worth reading over the manga unless you just plain can't read (which is probably the reason why your dumb-ass thinks so highly of it in the first place).

Is the anime good on its own terms? Sure. But, that's ONLY because every good thing about it is ripped straight out of the manga, with nothing else really added to it in order to enhance the quality. For that matter, I even prefer the anime for Death Note over Monster's anime. On that end, I like the manga for Death Note better, but I like how the anime did do certain things differently from the manga in a noticeable way to differentiate itself, and to me it made the anime a great companion piece to the manga with a reason to actually watch it, even if I liked the manga better (for that matter, I would have found the anime boring on re-watches if it really did nothing new).

That's also the reason why I like Hunter X Hunter (1999) more than the manga AND the 2011 anime. I find the 2011 series to be entertaining because the manga is, but it also has the same weaknesses as the manga, whereas the 1999 version of the series (NOT counting the GI OVAs) at least improved on the portion of the series that it adapted.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 28, 2013, 10:36:00 PM
While I also prefer the anime to the manga, I'd still say Trigun Maximum is fantastic, in different ways. Plot-wise the manga is much, much bigger and the sense of what's at stake is made more intense generally. Mostly, though, I think the manga's strength is in the villains. Pretty much all the Gung-Ho Guns that appear in Maximum are better characters, in that they are more than two-dimensional obstacles serving mainly to force Vash to kill, but actual characters with reasons and feelings that have reasons for doing what they are doing or otherwise have interesting pasts (Emilo and Hoppered in particular come to mind). While Knives works as a foil for Vash in the anime excellently, I have to say that manga Knives is much more interesting in his motivation and character, so overall I enjoyed him more as an antagonist there. I prefer the cold, emotionless Legato in the anime, but Eleindra filled that role sort of and manga Legato is still a great villain through his obsession and devotion to Knives. I loved the story outside of a couple weak parts mainly in the beginning and the last arc, and of course, Wolfwood and Vash vs. Livio/Razlo and Master Chapel and Livio/Razlo v. Eleindra are two of the most epic and brutal fights I've ever read in any manga ever.

My main gripe with Maximum, honestly, is Millie and Meryl, who aren't very well distinguished in personality of characterized in the manga in contrast to the anime where the differences between them and their role in the plot is essential. The art in some scenes can be a little confusing sometimes as well, particularly in the final battle between Vash and Knives. As a whole I prefer the anime, while lacking some of the better characterizations and moments in the manga, because as a whole all it's elements came together in a well-paced, thoughtful, and substantial narrative that felt whole and satisfying every step of the way all the way to the end, whereas the manga, while still great, has it's fair share of weak spots and pacing, and so quality-wise it isn't quite as satisfying in comparison. Still, I think everyone who likes Trigun should read the manga all the way through and make their own opinion, because whether you think it's better than the anime or not, I honestly think it's still a great story, and anyway, anything Trigun is good enough to check out at least once.  ;)
I read the manga a long (long) time ago, but I remember enjoying it well enough. It's most definitely worth reading if you're a Trigun fan, but as a whole it never stuck with me as well as say the Rurouni Kenshin or Monster manga.

I think I might have a volume lying around somewhere... I'll go look for it.