Trigun

Started by The Shadow Gentleman, March 18, 2013, 05:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 28, 2013, 10:55:32 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 28, 2013, 10:16:17 PM
Hmmm, I sweared you asked about the manga.  :thinkin: I get you dumbasses mixed up. And effort? That's it? There was no reason for them to change anything. They put more than effort into the show. Sounds like you're just using a blanket complaint to me and you named no actually ways they could have improved upon anything. Effort... :D

Uh, Yeah, Nice try attempting to save face for your idiotic accusation, but my point makes perfect sense you dumb-ass. The anime is just a copy and paste job of the manga and the cold hard fact of the matter is that ANY animation studio can do that. I'll give Madhouse credit for not botching up the anime and having a good use of music in there, but there's absolutely nothing about the anime for Monster that makes it worth reading over the manga unless you just plain can't read (which is probably the reason why your dumb-ass thinks so highly of it in the first place).

Is the anime good on its own terms? Sure. But, that's ONLY because every good thing about it is ripped straight out of the manga, with nothing else really added to it in order to enhance the quality. For that matter, I even prefer the anime for Death Note over Monster's anime. On that end, I like the manga for Death Note better, but I like how the anime did do certain things differently from the manga in a noticeable way to differentiate itself, and to me it made the anime a great companion piece to the manga with a reason to actually watch it, even if I liked the manga better (for that matter, I would have found the anime boring on re-watches if it really did nothing new).

That's also the reason why I like Hunter X Hunter (1999) more than the manga AND the 2011 anime. I find the 2011 series to be entertaining because the manga is, but it also has the same weaknesses as the manga, whereas the 1999 version of the series (NOT counting the GI OVAs) at least improved on the portion of the series that it adapted.
And yet you still jumped around stating how they could have improved Monster, dumbass. Monster doesn't have HXH's weaknesses nor is it a battle shonen. So next time come back with something more than pointless comparisons, bitch. :thumbup:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2013, 09:15:10 PM
And yet you still jumped around stating how they could have improved Monster, dumbass. Monster doesn't have HXH's weaknesses nor is it a battle shonen. So next time come back with something more than pointless comparisons, bitch. :thumbup:

Once again, nice try attempting to cover up your idiocy by making yourself look like even more of an idiot. My point wasn't that they had the same weaknesses. It was that no series is perfect and you can always improve upon the original source material. All the Monster anime did, though, was just rip-off the manga. I guess that's all it takes to impress your feeble mind; because, you know, writers who don't do anything but just copy everything from the source material are geniuses to you and deserve all of the credit (even more so than the original author, according to what you're saying). Yeah, I don't even need to say anything else, you're incredibly stupid logic speaks for itself.

Now, go do everyone a favor and stop killing our brain-cells with your mindless posts, ass-face.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2013, 09:44:31 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2013, 09:15:10 PM

Once again, nice try attempting to cover up your idiocy by making yourself look like even more of an idiot. My point wasn't that they had the same weaknesses. It was that no series is perfect and you can always improve upon the original source material. All the Monster anime did, though, was just rip-off the manga. I guess that's all it takes to impress your feeble mind; because, you know, writers who don't do anything but just copy everything from the source material are geniuses to you and deserve all of the credit (even more so than the original author, according to what you're saying). Yeah, I don't even need to say anything else, you're incredibly stupid logic speaks for itself.

Now, go do everyone a favor and stop killing our brain-cells with your mindless posts, ass-face.
No need to fix it if it's not broken. But I guess a moron like you can only appreciate changes even when they aren't needed. And what are Monster's weaknesses btw?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

-Urasawa can be overly-heavy on exposition in the manga

-The pacing can get bogged down at times

-Eva's father is an unrealistically 1-dimensional prick, and contrasts most of the fleshed out characters in the rest of the series

Spoiler
-The plot-point with Johan dressing as his sister was actually pretty stupid (one of the few instances of this in the series, but still....)
[close]

Those are just some weak points off the top of my head, but as much as I love the series, there's NO such thing as a series without flaws, however big or little they may be. Of course, you misconstrued my point, anyways, because it wasn't JUST about fixing problems, but enhancing the story in general, and adding in some content where it could work. An example of this would be fleshing out the reporter that Tenma was working with before he got killed off so that his death might actually mean a bit more, or they could have gone a bit more into Richard's back-story and character since he was an interesting character who people would probably be generally interested in having known a bit more about, given how pivotal his role was to one of the more major characters in the series.

Of course, a dumb-ass like you who can't comprehend any depth beyond what you find in DBZ probably looks at anything that's dialogue-heavy and thinks: "Oh, there's a lot of talking here and not a lot of action. This must be smart! That means it's perfect in every way!" Really, though it's just that you're too much of a moron to critique anything just because you think it's good.

gunswordfist

So, this is basically my argument:

I think it is INGENIOUS for an anime, such as Monster, to do nothing more than crib off it's source material. I mean, it's source material is great, and if I had already read it before watching the anime, the most interesting thing that the anime could EVER do is to do absolutely nothing different and do exactly what is in the manga. That way everything is completely predictable for me and it completely justifies having an anime in the first place; which is so that I can experience the same damn thing I can already get in the manga.

On a side note, I think anime that do anything to differentiate even the slightest bit from their source material are horrid. It doesn't make them superior to their source material. It just makes them shit because they are different in some little or big way. For that reason, anime like Trigun and the original Full Metal Alchemist TV series (which ironically used to be my favorite anime) are some of the worst adaptations ever because they actually dared to tell a different story than their source material. It doesn't matter that they were both true to the spirit and characters of those manga. The fact that they were different automatically makes them inferior because....well, to be quite frank, because I'm too much of a shit-for-brains to actually think of a legitimate reason for why that is (probably because there really isn't one and I'm just a hard-ass).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

How nice of you to come around, GSF. But this is a thread about Trigun. Not Monster. We have a separate thread for that. I'll forgive you for being too dumb to read, of course, but any further off-topic discussion on this thread (at least pertaining to this particular subject matter) will be immediately deleted. On that note, if you are displeased with this intervention, than go find yourself a pair of balls to suck on.

Back on-topic:

I just started re-watching this show on Netflix. I have to say, it's really awkward hearing the dub again now that I know its JYB who's voice-acting as Vash. Whenever I here him speak, now, I always keep envisioning either Nero or Ichigo in his place....which definitely isn't a good thing. That said, it's nothing against JYB as a voice-actor. It's just that his voices sound a bit too similar, to me. The rest of the dub cast is pretty great, as well.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 30, 2013, 03:44:22 AM
I just started re-watching this show on Netflix. I have to say, it's really awkward hearing the dub again now that I know its JYB who's voice-acting as Vash. Whenever I here him speak, now, I always keep envisioning either Nero or Ichigo in his place....which definitely isn't a good thing. That said, it's nothing against JYB as a voice-actor. It's just that his voices sound a bit too similar, to me.

I think his Vash voice is higher in pitch than Ichigo's, personally. It doesn't bother me because Vash is a super expressive character with all sorts of intricacies that Bosh manages to capture excellently, whereas his Ichigo...just kinda sounds the same in most situations and feels much less passionate, but I guess that's just me.  :P

Spark Of Spirit

I just hear a blander Vash when I hear him in those roles.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Off-Topic: I agree with EK, but I still prefer the anime to the manga, but that's only because I prefer watching anime to reading manga in general (with exceptions, of course). I really wish the Monster anime had made some improvements, thought.

On-Topic:
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 30, 2013, 03:07:21 PM

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It looks like GSF doesn't know how to read very well. I'll make myself more clear; any completely off-topic posts on this thread will be deleted immediately. This rule is to prevent idiots (like the one we all know) from completely derailing a topic like he usually tends to do.

As for JYB, I agree that I like his voice for Vash better, if only because he sounds a little bit more enthusiastic in that role, but he has such a distinct tone that I can't help but imagining his other voices that have that same exact tone. It's sort of like how a lot of Steve Blum's serious voices all sound the same. Though, he has some exceptions, like The Green Goblin from The Spectacular Spider-Man and Guilmon from Digimon Tamers (I seriously never knew it was him in either of those roles until I looked at the credits). But, other than that, I can always tell when it's his voice just for how distinct it sounds, even when he tries to hide it, like with Spike (Cowboy Bebop), Mugen (Samurai Champloo), Shishio (Rurouni Kenshin), Onizuka (GTO), Amon (TLA: TLoK), Red Skull (A: EMH), Jamie (Megas XLR), and so on.

In that regard, even if he sounds blander, it still sounds like Vash's voice to me in those roles, and vice-versa. It's just a very....bored sounding Vash, but it's still Vash, all the same.

Grave

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 30, 2013, 03:07:21 PM

I think this is what makes me not care for his other roles outside of Trigun, although, I will admit that I like JYB as Yang in Super Street Fighter 4. He makes Yang sound like a boss. When I first went into Bleach I was actually expecting to hear JYB being enthusiastic, or expecting a Vash moment to come out all of a sudden, but nothing.

Spark Of Spirit

It's funny, because in the Trigun movie he sounds a lot more subdued and less-JYB like his other roles yet he still sounds like Vash.

It's really odd.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Never saw the movie dubbed. I always thought JYB wasn't allowed to return as Vash for some reason.

Spark Of Spirit

It's Wolfwood, Milly, and Meryl, that were recast. Vash is still JYB.

Grave

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 30, 2013, 07:34:55 PM
It's Woofwood, Milly, and Meryl, that were recast. Vash is still JYB.

WHAT?! So is this movie a continuation or is it more along the lines of being something like Knockin on Heaven's Door?