Unpopular Opinions You Hold About TV Shows

Started by Kiddington, February 04, 2013, 01:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Monster could be done, but after re-reading the third volume omnibus (which technically covers up to volume 6 . . . out of 18, mind) and it only just reaches Munich. I'm not certain three seasons is the way to go since the material in the first three omnibuses is basically two seasons worth of material alone. You could trim a lot of the side-stories, but then you would instantly have an inferior adaption as the side-stories in Monster are all excellent and add tremendously to the world and the characters. The challenge would be adding to the story, which I'm not certain could be done considering how tightly Urasawa weaved everything together.

I also think Arrow is the best comic book adaption currently airing. I also think it improves on the comics in a few key ways, but I also think a lot of comic book adaptions blow away the source material.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

It's hard to imagine how any adaption of Monster could add or improve on the series when everything in it is already so well-crafted and tight. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not sure exactly how. At any rate, it would definitely need more than three seasons to tell the story properly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think you guys are assuming that a live-action show would move at the same pace as the anime. First of all, live-action covers material much faster than an anime would, especially with hour-long episodes as opposed to a half-hour. If the anime covered the story in 74 episodes, you could definitely fit it into 3 seasons worth of hour-long episodes, at about 12 or 13 episodes per season.

Foggle

To be honest, I think they could easily do a full, unabridged adaptation of Monster in about 25 HBO-length episodes. Seriously, the anime's full 74 episode run is about 30 HBO episodes' worth of content, and the pacing in that was a bit slow at times compared to the manga.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For another point of reference, take Game of Thrones. A Song of Ice and Fire has 5 books out that range from 600-1,000 pages per book. Needless to say, it's A LOT longer than Monster is, and HBO will not only catch up to it, but will outright be passing it this season and going in its own direction, and that's in less than 50 episodes. Granted that, they did cut out a lot of backstory, but it's still an incredibly fast pace if you actually consider how much story has already been covered in 40 episodes alone (plus they've added in a lot of stuff as well).

Comparatively, Monster is a much more streamlined story and has less characters to deal with. It could definitely be adapted in just 3 seasons.

gunswordfist

did i say human target is my favorite comic book live action tv show adaptation yet?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The general consensus on Dexter is that seasons 1-4 are great and that seasons 5-8 are mediocre to bad.

On the one hand, I actually enjoyed the latter seasons (except for season 6....that was just bad), but on the other hand, I never really found the first four seasons, despite being better, to he that great to begin with. The show on the whole, to me, was entertaining, but also incredibly stupid and repetitive in many ways, if that makes any sense. I mean, how the hell could none of his coworkers or family find out that he was serial-killer with the insane trail of obvious clues that he would have left behind?

That said, the show is still entertaining in that it's sort of like a dark version of Monk (if Monk killed the perpetrator after solving the crime), except Monk was a "fun" show that didn't take itself that seriously, whereas Dexter does, but the wtiting isn't really up to snuff, so it's not really a great show.

On another note, I'm loving Arrow's third season, and most of the people complaining about it make no sense.

On a third note, Agent Carter is a great show and deserves a renewal. I feel a bit saddened that something like AOS gets more viewership.

On a fourth note, I feel that Game of Thrones as a show works better the further away it gets from the novels. I love the books, but they work in a way that only literature can. The original story is too large and complex to translate well to a filmed medium, so as GOT has been becoming more of its own show and less of an adaptation of the source matetial, it has been improving in quality as a show.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 16, 2015, 11:50:55 PM
The general consensus on Dexter is that seasons 1-4 are great and that seasons 5-8 are mediocre to bad.

On the one hand, I actually enjoyed the latter seasons (except for season 6....that was just bad), but on the other hand, I never really found the first four seasons, despite being better, to he that great to begin with. The show on the whole, to me, was entertaining, but also incredibly stupid and repetitive in many ways, if that makes any sense. I mean, how the hell could none of his coworkers or family find out that he was serial-killer with the insane trail of obvious clues that he would have left behind?
This bothers me a lot more than it does most people. I don't consider it a bad show, but this just grates on my nerves.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 16, 2015, 11:50:55 PMOn another note, I'm loving Arrow's third season, and most of the people complaining about it make no sense.
Too much drama seems to be the number one complaint. Yeah, I don't get it either. On the other hand the recent season has shaken up the status quo on the show really hard. I find it really hard to argue they are running out of ideas or clever moves when they've managed to keep it going all season without a single stumble.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 16, 2015, 11:50:55 PMOn a third note, Agent Carter is a great show and deserves a renewal. I feel a bit saddened that something like AOS gets more viewership.
I'd be fine with getting a miniseries every now and then, but I don't think it necessarily needs an ongoing series. AoS getting a spin-off probably means they're going to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch since I don't think it'll get renewed.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I agree about Dexter. Hence why I said that even at its best, I still couldn't consider it to be a great show. It was just too ridiculous to see him get so much done yet go completely unnoticed by the authorities or his close friends or even his own sister for six whole seasons. It got to the point of being unintentionally hilarious.

As for Agent Carter, I just love the character, as well as Jarvis, and feel that there are just more fun adventures that they can go on. Each season can be like a mini-series featuring a new exciting story from that era that also helps to expand and flesh out the MCU history and mythos. I'd be up for it.

Avaitor

-Sepinwall is dead-on about calling House of Cards "a bad USA Network show tying to disguise itself as a good HBO show". I can't stand it.
-While Orange is the New Black is Netflix's trump card, it has the very likely ability to become too odd, and as such lose its likability. There were a couple of points in season 2 that showed signs of such.
-Orphan Black isn't the best-written show on TV, but it's the best acted. And not just because of Tatiana Maslany.
-The Americans, however, is the best of everything, It deserves all the awards.
-I feel that the reason Mad Men has difficulty catching on with a casual audience the same way that most of the other prestige series is its lack of a pretense of action. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, these can be pretty slow themselves, but someone gets shot or stabbed in almost every episode. In Mad Men, uh, Roger and Joan got mugged once, and there was that one fist fight between Lane and Pete, but to a lot of people, the show is just men in suits discussing business.
-The complaint about Arrow that holds the most weight is that it's too trigger happy with its female characters. Otherwise, I can't agree with the lion's share.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've only seen the first 3 episodes of House of Cards, and I really liked what I saw, personally, but it's hardly enough to judge the show on.

I most commonly hear people say that the show is great until the main character actually gains significant political power, after which point he inexplicably starts acting incompetent, but like I said, I can't judge it for myself until I see it all.