Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wish we could get more content like this. Great subject and very informative. His presentation itself may not be the best of quality, but the stuff he talks about is more interesting to me than most of what other anime and manga YouTubers tend to cover.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #2/3 (December 5th, 2017):
My Hero Academia (Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
3. Dr. Stone
The Promised Neverland (CP)
4. We Never Learn
5. Gintama
6. Black Clover
7. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
Part Three (Oneshot by Mizuki Kawashita & Nishio Isin, CP)
8. Hinomaru Zumou
Robot x Laserbeam (CP)
9. Haikyu!!
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Golem Hearts (Not Ranked)
11. Spring Weapon No 1
12. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
13. Full Drive
14. Shudan!
15. Cross Account
Tomatoy Lycopene

Next issue Dr. Stone gets the cover and Black Clover and Boruto are getting color pages. Food Wars and KnY are also getting posters in the issue. Full Drive's first ranking isn't all too surprising. The series was pretty bland. The ratings are more or less the same as always with Gintama taking a large jump this week. I'm pretty certain Cross Account is on the way out, but Shudan just can't seem to rank. No idea how that's going to shake out in the next few weeks.

Also, MHA is having a film in summer 2018. Anime original.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

The results of the third MHA popularity poll:

1. Bakugo (5909)
2. Midoriya (3205)
3. Todoroki (3204)
4. Kirishima (2006)
5. Ida (1822)
6. Aizawa (1453)
7. All Might (1378)
8. Kaminari (1223)
9. Uraraka (1211)
10. Shinso (1178)

Looks like this arc boosted Kirishima and Uraraka's popularity a bit. Kaminari is back in the top 10, and Shinso makes it in despite only being hinted at having a focus soon. Here's hoping Horikoshi can finally get to him next year. Also, this was taken before Mirio's really great turn halfway through the arc, so who knows where he would rank now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Detective Conan is going on another hiatus so that Gosho Aoyama can get medical treatment.

At the very least, Aoyama has chosen a good place to stop the manga, as the boss of the Black Organization has FINALLY been revealed!  I'm interested to see how he handles this development when he returns from his break.

Spark Of Spirit

I really like the Bakugo/Kirishima/Kaminari bro team in MHA. Also dug that Kaminari even called Bakugo Kacchan on top of it. I had also totally forgotten that Uraraka was the one to bring Nighteye to the ambulance so of course the developments would have affected her. I'm really eager to see where these current developments are heading.

gunswordfist

Quote from: VLordGTZ on December 11, 2017, 12:55:23 PM
Detective Conan is going on another hiatus so that Gosho Aoyama can get medical treatment.

At the very least, Aoyama has chosen a good place to stop the manga, as the boss of the Black Organization has FINALLY been revealed!  I'm interested to see how he handles this development when he returns from his break.
I hope Aoyama has a good recovery
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I read the first chapter of Soukyuu no Ariadne by the creator of Claymore. If you are looking for a fun adventure manga, this might just be it. Totally different tone from his last two series.

Sunday seems to really be pushing for more adventure manga again.

LumRanmaYasha

Ariadne reminds me a lot of Castle in the Sky, but with more of a shonen-edge. Definitely interested in seeing where it goes.

VLordGTZ

Kentaro Yabuki's Jump+ manga will be an adaption of DARLING in the FRANXX.

I'm a bit disappointed that he's not doing an original work, but at least he'll be taking break from borderline hentai.  I wonder if Viz will pick this up like they did for the Juni Taisen manga.  FRANXX has a decent amount of buzz around it due to Trigger's involvement.

LumRanmaYasha

Well, at least it's not To Love Ru. Considering Viz picked up Juni Taisen I hope they consider picking this up. TRIGGER shows tend to be big deals so I wouldn't be surprised if they hop on the buzz. And if the story of FRANXX is good, hey, Yabuki could always end up drawing the superior version of the story just like how Akira Akatsuki's manga version of Juni Taisen is the best version of that series.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #4/5 (December 19th, 2017):
Dr. Stone (Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
3. Haikyu!!
Black Clover (CP)
4. We Never Learn
5. The Promised Neverland
6. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
7. My Hero Academia
Boruto (CP)
8. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
9. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
10. Hinomaru Zumo
11. Gintama
12. Robot x Laserbeam
13. Spring Weapon No. 1
14. Cross Account
15. Shudan!
16. Full Drive
17. Golem Hearts
Tomatoy Lycopene

Bad first ranking for Golem Hearts. It's not looking good for it. Same with Full Drive. Those two probably won't last very long. As for next issue, One Piece gets the cover, Hinomaru gets a color page and a big announcement (anime finally?) as does KnY and Komi's one shot. Golem Hearts also gets extra pages, but I really don't know how that will help it at this point. Saiki will probably be near the top for a while as the second season of the anime is starting soon. See you guys again for this post in two weeks!

Spark Of Spirit

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #6 (January 2nd, 2018):
One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
1. Dr Stone
2. The Promised Neverland
3. Black Clover
4. My Hero Academia
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
5. We Never Learn
6. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
Origin of E (Naoshi Komi oneshot, ESports)
7. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
8. Gintama
9. Haikyu!!
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Hinomaru Zumou (CP, Anime Announcement)
11. Robot x Laserbeam
12. Spring Weapon #1
13. Shudan! (End)
14. Cross Account
15. Golem Hearts (Extra Pages)
16. Full Drive
Lycopene the Tomatoy Poodle

Shudan is confirmed ending. The first new series (Bozebeats) starts next issue. Hinomaru and Saiki are both getting color pages. There's nothing much surprising here except that it looks like all four of the recent series are not doing very well at all. It appears that fans are very satisfied with the current line up and are just not looking for anything else new right now. Other than that everything is the same as it ever was.

It looks like the Hinomaru anime will be adapting all of the 1st part (chapter 1 to 159 - volume 1 to 17) of the series. Can't say it's surprising, but it's highly welcome. This means a very satisfying adaption for non-manga readers.

VLordGTZ

Shaman King will be getting a new arc in Shonen Magazine Edge this spring!

Additionally, according to the 20th anniversary website, Kodansha will be releasing the original manga in 35 volumes with redrawn covers by Takei.

I hope Kodansha USA picks this up once Viz's license for the series expires, because it's about time that the "true ending" got released over here.

Spark Of Spirit