Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

This guy just can't catch a break. I hope it's nothing too serious.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Damn, I really hope Raiku is ok.  It's a real shame Vector Ball had to end so abruptly.  Based on the first volume, the series seemed to have a lot of promise.  Hopefully, he'll be able to continue it in the future or start a new series.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #17 (March 27th, 2017):
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead CP)
My Hero Academia Smash!! (Special Chapter)
1. Black Clover
2. One Piece
Robot x Laserbeam (CP)
3. Gintama
4. We Never Learn
The Promised Neverland (CP)
Hungry Marie (Not Ranked)
5. Haikyu!!
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
Dr. Stone (Not Ranked)
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction
7. Hinomaru Zumou
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries (Not Ranked)
9. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
U19 (Not Ranked)
10. Samon the Summoner
11. Spring Weapon No. 1
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Next week MHA gets a color page (probably for the anime) and Boruto gets the cover again. This is the first official ranking for We Never Learn, and that's quite the surprising result. The bottom ranking for Spring Weapon doesn't mean much since it's a gag manga, but that's another low rating for Samon. We Never Learn isn't a cushion for it after all. Still, if WNL is this high, I do wonder how the other series will rate. That should be interesting.

Weekly Shonen Magazine Issue #17:
Baby Steps (Lead CP)
Hoshino, Me wo Tsubutte?
Seven Deadly Sins
Ponanza?Jinrui vs. Saikyou Shougi Soft? (One Shot)
Tokyo Revengers
Domestic na Kanojo
Hajime no Ippo
High & Low G-Sword (CP, New Series)
Real Account
Kindaichi Case Files R
Knight in the Area
Fire Force
Fairy Tail (CP)
Days
Rankers High
Seitokai Yakuindomo (2 Chapters)
8th August Outlaw
Senyuu Shoujo
To You, The Immortal
Fuuka
Vector Ball
Tsurezure Children
6cm no Kizuna
Ahiru no Sora

Ace of Diamond is off this week, and next week Knight in the Area ends. Seven Deadly Sins also gets the cover. Magazine really does seem to throw things all over the TOC. It gets hard to see how anything is doing.

Weekly Shonen Sunday Issue #17:
Sennen no Mushin (Lead CP, One Shot Part 1)
Detective Conan/Case Closed
Souboutei Must Be Destroyed
Major 2nd
Maou-jou de Oyasumi
Hatsukoi Zombie (CP)
Magi
Amano Megumi wa Suki Darake!
Dagashi Kashi
Komi-san wa, Commu-shou Desu
Be Blues!
Tokiwa Kitareri!!
Ryoko
Tenshi to Akuto!!
Hayate the Combat Butler
Aozakura
Zettai Karen Children/Psychic Squad
Maiko-san Chi no Makanaisan
Mushibugyo
Saike Once Again
Dameterasu-sama
Denpa Kyoushi/Ultimate Otaku Teacher
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Sunday Hikagaku Kenkyuujo

Rinne is absent this week. Nothing really out there this time. Keijo remains rock bottom and will hopefully be on the way out soon, but the bigger surprise is a two-part one-shot getting the lead color page. Sunday certainly does some out there things like this from time to time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Wow, We Never Learn's first ranking was really good.  I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't do well since Yuna seems to have a strong grip on Nisekoi's former audience, but that may not be the case.  It probably helps that WNL and Yuna's premises are far less similar than that of the latter and Love Rush.  Hopefully, it will be able to keep this up in the coming weeks.  It'll be interesting to see how U19 and Poro perform as well.  All three of the veteran mangaka series have a high chance of being successful imo, so U19 and Poro are the only wild cards left in this batch of Jump Starts.

LumRanmaYasha

Glad to see We Never Learn get a good first ranking! I'm hoping this means it'll stick around. Will be curious to see how the rest of the recent Jump Starts fare in the rankings in these coming weeks as well.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 21, 2017, 10:41:41 PM
Rinne is absent this week. Nothing really out there this time. Keijo remains rock bottom and will hopefully be on the way out soon, but the bigger surprise is a two-part one-shot getting the lead color page. Sunday certainly does some out there things like this from time to time.

Well, it is the first one-shot Rumiko Takahashi has done for Shonen Sunday in 18 years and celebrates her having 200 million copies of her manga in circulation, which is why the cover of the issue is adorned with a bunch of her characters, so it's kinda a big deal and really no surprise that it was given the lead color.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Spark Of Spirit

Next weekend is the first real episode.

But this weekend is a recap episode in its new timeslot and channel so they're understandably hyping it up in Jump.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

It looks like we have some further clarification on why Vector Ball has ended.

Man, I feel really sorry for Raiku.  It sounds like Vector Ball's lack of success in WSM made him lose his confidence in continuing it.  I really hope things go better with his next work.

Spark Of Spirit

I think he was expecting too much out of the gate. It takes new series a while to build up steam these days. Or maybe he saw Souboutei's success out of the box and got discouraged he wasn't selling as much.

It's a shame he's just going to walk away instead of at least finishing the current plot line though.

LumRanmaYasha

Raiku has always had confidence issues and is self-deprecating about his own work. I can see how he would feel stressed and unhappy with inorganically changing his story from the way he wanted it to be just to make it more popular, and would prefer just to quit on it altogether. It's just like what happened with Tite Kubo and Zombiepowder. It's a shame, because Vector Ball had a lot of potential, but hopefully Raiku will make a new manga that he can enjoy again. Animal Land proved he has the potential to be one of the greats if he isn't already.

LumRanmaYasha

Jump came out super early today which was a nice start to my morning. But holy wow, was that ever a bombshell dropped in MHA. If All Might only has a year or two to live, then pretty much any villain that he comes across next could be his death. I'm hoping that Deku will be able to fulfill his promise to All Might before that happens. I'm very happy that Uraraka, Tsuyu, and Kirishima are going to be involved in this arc since they could definitely benefit from more focus and development.

And damn, Promised Neverland. Part of me feels this is happening a little fast, but at the same time I'm excited that the escape plan is finally getting underway. Without Norman and Ray for support, Emma is really going to have to step up as a leader, and I'm in suspense to see whether she can help all of the kids to escape without losing a single one of them.

But my favorite chapters of the week belong to OPM. I love it when Saitama stands up for the values of heroism and it was great to have that moment intercut with a scene of Mumen Rider protecting people in a hospital since he best exemplifies what it means to be a hero out of all the characters in OPM. The fight between Saitama and Suiryu was also just really fun and it's going to be really satisfying to see Suiryu taken down a peg now that Saitama is fighting him seriously.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My Hero Academia has just been getting better and better ever over the past year and a half. It's really really proving what narrow-minded idiots all the naysayers are who just slapped the "generic uninspired shonen" label on it after only a single episode. Granted, I was kind of expecting it to go down that path myself with the Sports Festival arc, but everything after that point has been a huge step up in quality, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

Everything in this chapter was great, and it doubly helped to see the interview beforehand. Horikoshi is completely open with the fact that he's a huge fan of superheroes and that western comics play a big part in how he created MHA.

Midoriya now has to deal with the possibility that All Might could die at any moment while chasing a villain (two, actually) that can kill in a single touch. This arc stinks of death.

But adding Uraraka, Tsuyu, and Kirishima to the mix should shake things up. The former two haven't had much time in the spotlight recently, and the latter is slowly becoming more and more relevant to the story, so this should be quite the interesting arc. I hope we get to see why they above the other students (other than Bakugo and Todoroki, obviously) chose such intense internships. Going after Overhaul is not going to be easy.