Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #32 (July 6th, 2017):
Gintama (Cover, Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. My Hero Academia
My Hero Academia Smash!! (Special Chapter)
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (CP)
3. Haikyu!!
4. Black Clover
5. Hinomaru Zumou
6. The Promised Neverland
Boruto (CP)
7. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction
We Never Learn (CP)
Shudan! (Not Ranked)
8. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
Cross Account (Not Ranked)
9. Dr. Stone
10. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
Hunter x Hunter (Not Ranked)
11. Spring Weapon No.01
12. Robot x Laserbeam
13. Hungry Marie
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

No real surprises again. It's still not looking good for Robot and Marie, though Robot is getting a color page next week (as is Promised Neverland) so who knows. Also, One Piece gets the cover.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm honestly kind of surprised that RXL is getting shunned or ignored by Japanese readers. I was assuming that Tadatoshi would already have a built in fan base from KnB (which isn't even that old), and that his quick pacing for the beginning material would help attract new readers. I suppose people just don't care much about a manga about golf, though.

Despite my issues with the last third or so of KnB, I'm actually kind of rooting for Tadatoshi to pull through since I see some strong potential in his current work.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #33 (July 13th, 2017):
One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
Oda-san to no Omoide Manga by Shimabu (20th Anniversary One Piece Manga by Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro (Toriko))
1. My Hero Academia
The Promised Neverland (CP)
2. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
3. Dr. Stone
4. Gintama
5. Black Clover
Robot x Laserbeam (CP)
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction
7. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
8. Haikyuu!!
9. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
Shudan! (Not Ranked)
10. We Never Learn
11. Hinomaru Zumou
12. Spring Weapon No. 1
13. Hungry Marie

Black Clover anime starts in October and is getting a color page next week. For the anime Asta will be played by Gakuto Kajiwara (Newcomer VA)
and Nobunaga Shimazaki will be Yuno. MHA gets the cover next week for its 3rd anniversary and both Kimetsu no Yaiba and Shudan are getting color pages. Shudan is also getting bonus pages. Not much to say ranking wise except that Hungry Marie is certainly next on the chopping block.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

These recent chapters centered around Kirishima have been great. Really highlighting why he is one of my favorite characters. I almost forgot he was one of the main characters of this arc since there are so many right now. Eager to see how he relates to Fat Gum once the fight continues.

Also just realized that the villain in Kirishima's flashback is the same one from way back in chapter 59. He has the same cloak and radio. That's another hint that whoever this villain is, Horikoshi hasn't forgotten him.

Spark Of Spirit

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 18, 2017, 11:17:38 AM
Silver Spoon is, uh, back on hiatus after 3 chapters.
Arakawa's last few release batches of Silver Spoon have all only been 3 chapters, so this isn't too much of a surprise.  Based on what has happened during the past few chapters, it seems like the series might last a bit longer than initially expected, but the series itself is still clearly nearing the end.  At this point, I'm fine with Arakawa taking her time with the series. 

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #34 (July 20th, 2017):
One Piece, Saint Seiya, Captain Tsubasa, Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho (Cover)
My Hero Academia (Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. One Piece
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction (CP)
3. Dr. Stone
4. Robot x Laserbeam
Shudan! (CP)
5. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Black Clover (CP)
6. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
7. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
8. We Never Learn
9. Haikyu!!
10. Hinomaru Zumou
11. Spring Weapon No.01
12. Gintama
13. Hungry Marie

That's a weird set of ratings this week. But Promised Neverland at #1 sure was unexpected. Next week Haikyu gets the lead color, and Hinomaru Zumou and Food Wars get color pages. Apparently this being the 50th anniversary means this issue and the next are crossover covers featuring iconic Jump characters. Other announcements include the second season of the Saiki anime is starting early 2018 and Junichi Suwabe will be the VA for Yami in Black Clover. Also, the BC popularity poll had near 10,000 votes.

VLordGTZ

I'm very late on commenting on this, but I'm surprised to see RxL so high in the ToC.  We'll have to see in the coming weeks, but I really hope that the series is gaining traction with readers.  Shudan getting a color page this week was also a hopeful sign of its success.  Next issue should be its first ranking, so it will be interesting to see how it does.

LumRanmaYasha

RxL seems to be picking up steam. The sales of the first volume were quite good, so I think it'll be sticking around. And Shudan! getting a color page is a good sign. Crossing my fingers it won't go the way of Ole Golazo.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #35 (July 27th, 2017):
Haikyu!!, Kinnikuman, Dr. Slump, Kochikame (Cover)
Haikyu!! (Lead CP)
1. Black Clover
2. My Hero Academia
My Hero Academia Smash!! (Special Chapter)
3. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Dr. Stone
Utsuro Toki no Naka de (One Shot)
Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
5. We Never Learn
6. Gintama
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
7. The Promised Neverland
8. Spring Weapon No.01
9. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
10. Shudan!
11. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
12. Robot x Laserbeam
13. Hungry Marie

Next week One Piece returns with the lead color, and Black Clover, Promised Neverland, and Dr. Stone, are all getting color pages. That's not a good first ranking for Shudan, though it did not instantly plummet to the bottom at least. I'm still torn on how well Robot is actually doing, but it does look like Dr. Stone and WNL are here to stay at this rate. I've heard that Hinomaru is reaching the end point soon, but who knows when that will be. If it does it will certainly save a second series from getting axed along with Hungry Marie. Because at this point I really don't see a clear second choice for getting cut.

It might just be me, but I keep hoping for word of World Trigger's return. At least it would signal that Ashihara is okay.

VLordGTZ

From I understand, the presumed final match of Hinomaru has concluded, so the series probably end in a few weeks.  That's a pretty rough first ranking for Shudan, but there's still a chance for it to recover.  Considering that it got a color page last week, I suspect that Jump wants to keep it around for a bit before they consider canning it.  It seems like last week's RxL placement may have just been a fluke, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sticks around since the first volume sold pretty well. 

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This week's chapter of KnY was one of the funniest Shonen Jump chapters that I've read in a while. I really love how serious and dramatic this series can be yet still be so humorous and charming when it wants to. Something about the raw crude and sloppy nature of the art made some of the gags work extra effectively, here, particularly in seeing the main trio dressed up as young prostitutes in training.

Spark Of Spirit

The combination of Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke, always leads to the best comedy in the series. It also helps that the art style is just simultaneously sketchy and detailed enough to go between serious and comedic at the drop of a hat.

Spoiler
[close]

Can't wait for the official release over here, and the eventual anime.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #36/#37 (August 3rd, 2017):
WSJ Cast (Cover)
One Piece (Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. My Hero Academia
3. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
5. Haikyu!!
Dr. Stone (CP)
6. We Never Learn
7. Hinomaru Zumou
Seishounen Yuugai Kankyou Kiseihou (CP, One Shot)
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
9. Robot x Laserbeam
Tensei-ki -Hakusai- (One Shot)
Black Clover (CP)
10. Shudan!
11. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
12. Spring Weapon No.01
13. Gintama
14. Cross Account
15. Hungry Marie

First ranking for Cross Account is awful. It only outranked Hungry Marie, which is certain to be canceled soon enough. Pretty happy with the top 3 all the way around. As far as I'm concerned, they're the three best series running in Jump at this moment. Next week Promised Neverland gets the cover, and Boruto, Haikyu and We Never Learn get color pages. Good rankings all the way around this week.

Spark Of Spirit

The Hokkaido arc of Rurouni Kenshin starts on September 4th.

I hope the delay was worth it! Though I have to say I'm still really interested in this after the Ashitaro two part one-shot.