Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've gotta say, this whole Red Lights District arc may be my favorite One yet from KnY. On top of brothels being a uniquely interesting setting for a story in a Shonen Jump manga, it has a really intriguing mystery element to it as well as some genuine suspense and tension at certain points, all while still remembering all of the humor that can be found in this situation (and not the over-used, groan-worthy "pervert" gags that one would expect, either, thankfully).

LumRanmaYasha

I'm really glad to see RxL bounce back, especially since its been so good recently. Those are great sales for The Promised Neverland, which is really exciting! It's also cool to see Hinomaru Zumo continuing after all, though that means that things will be tight when it comes time to axe series. Just hoping that Shudan! survives long enough to find its audience like RxL did.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 01, 2017, 09:34:27 AM
I've gotta say, this whole Red Lights District arc may be my favorite One yet from KnY. On top of brothels being a uniquely interesting setting for a story in a Shonen Jump manga, it has a really intriguing mystery element to it as well as some genuine suspense and tension at certain points, all while still remembering all of the humor that can be found in this situation (and not the over-used, groan-worthy "pervert" gags that one would expect, either, thankfully).
Gotouge has hit a stride. Since the Drum House its been nothing but uphill. It was also cool to get an idea of where they are in the scale of their profession, although as has been stated, power levels aren't hard and fast as otherwise they would have died during the Spider Mountain arc. It also benefits that I can't really tell where its going.

Oh yeah, and I still really like the main three (four) a good deal. They always instantly attract my attention when on the page.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

I finally caught up again with Robot x Laserbeam.  Initially, I was going to complain about how the course par for the current match makes no sense, but then I realized that Viz actually mistranslated the condition that Robo needs to fulfill to participate in the training camp (he needs to score "in the 70s" not "score a 70" like they translated).  This meant that when Tomoya said Robo needs to get at least a "+7" in the match, that would be a score of 79, meaning that this was a standard par 72 course and not an executive course.  It kind of bothers me that Viz made such an error and never corrected it, but to be fair, it's not immediately apparent if you aren't familiar with golf scoring.  In any case, this match has been great overall and it definitely seems to have helped the series gain some traction which is nice to see.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #40 (August 29th, 2017):
Robot x Laserbeam (Cover, Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. Dr. Stone
3. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Hinomaru Zumou (CP, Part 2 Start)
4. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
5. We Never Learn
6. Black Clover
Joreishi Rentarou no Yakusoku (CP, GFC Entry #2)
7. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
8. My Hero Academia
9. Gintama
10. Haikyu!!
11. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
12. Spring Weapon No.01
13. Hungry Marie
14. Cross Account
15. Shudan!
Boruto (CP)
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

This is another odd ToC. But at least MHA is higher and has a color page next week. Next week One Piece gets the cover and Kochikame gets a special chapter. I do wonder why Haikyu has been so low recently. And Shudan being last is really not a good sign for it.

LumRanmaYasha

Glad to see Promised Neverland and Dr Stone so high, but Shudan!...:( Really hoping it finds it's audience soon because at this rate it won't last much longer.

Spark Of Spirit

That last chapter of MHA was something else. Here's hoping Midoriya can close the gap!

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #42 (September 12th, 2017):
One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. Dr. Stone
3. Robot x Laserbeam
4. Black Clover
Kochikame (CP, Special Chapter)
5. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. We Never Learn
Raven Burai (CP, GFC Entry #3)
7. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
My Hero Academia (CP)
8. Hinomaru Zumou
9. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
10. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
11. Spring Weapon No.01
12. Haikyu!!
13. Gintama
14. Shudan!
15. Hungry Marie
16. Cross Account
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Holy criminy, why is Haikyu so low? It's so weird seeing established favorites so low. Anyway, now Cross Account is last so I have no idea what is going on here. Next week Food Wars gets the cover and Saiki and We Never Learn get color pages.

VLordGTZ

I looks like Haikyu is starting to hop around in the ToC like Food Wars does.  ???  Overall, this is a strong ToC aside from that.  Looking at the raw for last week's Hungry Marie, it seems like it may be wrapping up soon.  Nothing is going to be cancelled for at least 2 more weeks, but it's going to be interesting to see what happens when the next round of series start.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Damn, some series were on fire this week! One Piece, KnY, and RXL are easily my top three from the current issue of Jump.

One Piece ending with Luffy staying behind is somewhat reminiscent of when he did that back in Alabasta to stall Crocodile and buy his crew some time to escape, but over here it really felt like he wanted to settle a score, and having him take the fight into the mirror world and then smash the closest exit to bits so that nobody could come in or out to interrupt the fight is one of the most bad-ass things that he's done in a while. Add to that the fact that on top of his heroic sacrifice, we get the big reveal that Pedro is yet another link to Gold Roger from the past, and you have one of the most action-packed and exciting chapters of One Piece this year, and from one of its best arcs in years. Oda is clearly back in the swing of his A-game.

Kimetsu no Yaiba might not have had as pivotal of a chapter, but Gotogue clearly knows how to keep things engaging for readers as Tanjiro has to stall an opponent that could easily kill him before a Pillar (can't remember his name right now) arrives. And to keep things interesting, he's switching from the Water style that he was trained in for a while to the Flame style that he barely understands but feels is a better fit for him, which makes the fight play out a lot more predictably than his opponent was prepared for. It's a convincing way to deal with a large power gap without feeling absurd or too convenient.

And in RXL we got a surprisingly heartfelt chapter with everyone reacting to the aftermath of the match between the academies, with Robot making some serious development as he finally realizes his passion for Golf in a surprisingly emotional moment for his character.

The rest of the chapters from the ususal frontrunners wer all pretty good as well, but these three stole the show for me this week.

Spark Of Spirit

It looks like Hungry Marie is winding down and is having volume 3 and 4 release on the same day. I think it's safe to say we know at least one of the series being canceled.

I think it's possible with HxH going back on hiatus that there might only be one cancellation this round. If not, I'm going to guess it's Cross Account.

Spark Of Spirit

LumRanmaYasha

I wonder if Viz'll ever pick up MHA Smash? MHA is big right now and they've licensed the Naruto gag mangas in the past, so I don't see why they shouldn't.

I haven't followed Magi in a while since I was waiting for it to end so I could read the entire final arc in one go, so I'm excited to do that pretty soon since I've only heard good things about how it's been.

I'm excited for Urasawa's new series, but this news really makes me wonder when Billy Bat will finally get licensed? C'mon Kodansha USA!

Spark Of Spirit

The new banner for Jump Festa was revealed:

Spoiler
[close]

Notable new additions include Yuna, Kimetsu no Yaiba, and Promised Neverland in with the rest of the series. I wonder if it could be hinting at OVAs for any of them like Black Clover had last year. Seems likely that one of those three will likely get a series sometime in the near future.