Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

There was a big delay in getting the ToC this week. Here it is:

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #43 (September 19th, 2017):
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (Cover, Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
3. The Promised Neverland
4. Black Clover
We Never Learn (CP)
5. Dr. Stone
6. Haikyu!
Chou Kasoku Ningen Leo (CP, GFC Entry #4)
7. Spring Weapon No.01
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (CP)
Ifu! Dodo-kun (One Shot)
8. Robot x Laserbeam
9. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
10. Hinomaru Zumou
11. Gintama
12. Shudan!
13. Hungry Marie
14. Cross Account
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

MHA is absent this week. I hope Horikoshi is doing alright. He's had two off chapters this arc and some of the ones he put out were really short. I'm hoping he can wrap it up soon so he can get back to less intense fare. Last thing we want is another Ashihara situation. The list is more or less back to normal, though. There's nothing surprising here at all. Congrats to KnY. Here's hoping an anime announcement comes soon. I do think Cross Account will be one of the cancellations, however. It's been swapping the last rank with Hungry Marie for some time now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #44 (September 26th, 2017):
Black Clover (Cover, Lead CP)
1. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
2. One Piece
3. Dr. Stone
4. The Promised Neverland
5. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. We Never Learn
7. Robot x Laserbeam
Mahou Shonen X (CP, GFC Entry #5)
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Yuna of Yuragi Manor (CP)
9. My Hero Academia
10. Hinomaru Zumou
Haikyu!! (CP)
11. Gintama
12. Spring Weapon No.01
13. Shudan!
14. Cross Account
15. Hungry Marie

Three new series are starting beginning next week and getting the next three covers. This means Hungry Marie and Cross Account are certainly done, with the possibility of Shudan as well even though the HxH/World Trigger slot is still empty. Hinomaru, We Never Learn, and Dr. Stone are getting color pages in the next issue. As for MHA, I'm going to assume the shorter chapters this arc were not the best idea. It makes readers to frustrated in keeping up with what is coming next. It'll be a better read in volume form. Either way, the arc is nearly done.

Unrelated, but I hope Viz announces when volume 1 of KnY will be coming out. I'll be jumping on that day one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #45 (October 4th, 2017):
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene (Cover, Lead CP, New Series by Kouji Ohiishi)
1. Haikyu!!
2. One Piece
Dr. Stone (CP)
3. Black Clover
4. My Hero Academia
Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
5. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
We Never Learn (CP)
7. The Promised Neverland
8. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
9. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
10. Gintama
11. Spring Weapon No.01
12. Robot x Laserbeam
13. Shudan!
14. Cross Account
15. Hungry Marie

Rankings seem to be more or less back to normal this week. Next week Saiki gets the cover. Other than that, there isn't much to talk about. We still have to wait until next week to see the other new series and to see what is going to be cut.

VLordGTZ

Pretty standard ToC, though I am sad seeing RxL back near the bottom.  Hungry Marie has already been confirmed to be ending with volume 4, so it's probably going to end in 2 or 3 weeks at most.  Looking at the raws for the recent Shudan and Cross Account chapters, both of them look to be heading towards a conclusion as well, so I guess we have our 3 cancellations right there.

Spark Of Spirit

That was one crazy chapter of KnY. It looks like Tanjiro's about to go off.

Really hope there's an anime announcement for this soon. It really deserves one.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This is easily the best arc of the series, and currently my second favorite ongoing WSJ arc at the moment.

I love how Tanjiro's eyes are completely blood-shot to display his rage at the moment, which also got me to realize how rare it is to see him so furious in this series, even towards an enemy.

Spark Of Spirit

Shonen Sunday continues to push itself. They've announced a new series by the writer of Project ARMS, and one by the creator of Claymore as well. Gotta hand it to them, they're really pushing for new series.

Preview of the first series:

Spoiler
[close]

VLordGTZ

With Magi now over and Zettai Karen Children on its way out, Sunday was going to be sparse on action series, so I guess this is their solution to the issue.  I'm really surprised that Sunday managed to nab Norihiro Yagi.  He had done a one-shot in WSJ only earlier this year, so most were expecting his next work to be in Jump SQ (like usual) or WSJ.  I guess he either had a falling out with with Shueisha, or Shogakukan gave him a very nice offer.  I haven't read anything by Kyoichi Nanatsuki, but I've heard good things about Project ARMS and Area D, so it will be interesting to see what his next series is like.  Hopefully, this will help Sunday have a bright future.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #46 (October 11th, 2017):
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K (Cover, Lead CP, Live-Action Movie Premiere)
1. Black Clover
2. The Promised Neverland
3. Dr. Stone
4. Haikyu!!
Lycopene the Tomatoy Poodle (CP)
5. My Hero Academia
6. Hinomaru Zumou
7. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
8. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Boruto (CP)
9. We Never Learn
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~ (CP, END)
10. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
11. Robot x Laserbeam
12. Gintama
13. Shudan! (23p)
14. Cross Account
15. Spring Weapon No. 1
Hungry Marie (END)

So, surprising, both Isobe and Marie ended in this issue. I'm not sure what that means for the future. Next week new series Full Drive gets the cover, and Promised Neverland, Spring Weapon No. 1 (first anniversary plus an additional chapter), and KnY (popularity poll results) are getting color pages. I'm going to guess Cross Account will be the next series ending judging from how things appear to be shaking out here. All in all, not much surprising.

VLordGTZ

I was a bit surprised to see Isobe ending, though I guess 4 years is strong run for a gag manga.  This makes me suspect that Lycopene is going to be pushed as the new short-form gag manga in Jump, especially since Oishi is well-liked among the editors.  I still have no idea what's up with Spring Weapon.  It doesn't sell or rank well, but Jump keeps pushing it.  It's really turning into another Samon situation...

Spark Of Spirit

Spring Weapon is definitely the new Samon. They're going to keep it around and hope it gathers popularity. It probably won't happen though, the Gintama effect it rare. Nonetheless, I expect it'll stick around just as long as Samon did.

I'm actually interested in seeing how Golem Hearts turns out as the original one shot was the best received contest winner in years.

Lord Dalek

So long Magi. Shame you kinda blew it at the end.

VLordGTZ

I just finished reading it, and I thought that the ending was very good. 

Spoiler
If I have any complaint, it's probably that Arba is still roaming free at the end.  Though, to be fair, she's basically powerless and aimless at this point, so she's not much of a threat.  Plus no one (including Hakuryu) has any reason to kill her anymore, so I'm willing to accept it.
[close]

Overall, Magi was a fun ride and I'm glad I stuck with it until the end.  Hopefully, it doesn't take Ohtaka too long to come out with her next work.

Spark Of Spirit

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #47 (October 18th, 2017):
Full Drive (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
1. One Piece
2. We Never Learn
The Promised Neverland (CP)
3. Black Clover
4. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
5. Dr. Stone
6. My Hero Academia
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Popularity Poll Results, CP)
Tomatoy Poodle (Not Ranked)
7. Haikyu!!
8. Gintama
9. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
10. Robot x Laserbeam
11. Hinomaru Zumou
Spring Weapon Number One (1st Anniversary, CP)
12. Shudan!
13. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
14. Cross Account
Tomatoy Poodle (Not Ranked)

Next week Golem Hearts gets the cover. Gintama, Food Wars, and Full Drive get color pages. I'm not sure there's much to say about these rankings. Food Wars ranking means little since it is all over the map and has high sales, but Cross Account surviving means it will probably not make the next round. Aside from that, unless one of the new series absolutely craters in popularity, or Gintama ends, then Shudan might also get axed. And Tomatoy apparently listed last (and twice) means it is the Isobe replacement, so it's definitely not getting cut. There's one more cancellation round this year for sure so it'll be interesting to see what makes it.

As for me, I'm curious about the last new series, Golem Hearts. The one shot was well done and showed a lot of promise.

And from what I've heard, KnY's first popularity poll had only 200 less entries than Haikyu's first one. That's surprisingly good considering how much it has jumped in popularity since it started last year.