Author Topic: Currently Running Manga Discussion  (Read 51788 times)

VLordGTZ

• A guy with too much time on his hands
  • The Elephant's Peanut
Re: Currently Running Manga Discussion
« Reply #1680 on: November 10, 2017, 01:27:01 PM »
Well, I finally caught up with Hinomaru Zumou's scans, and I realized my mistake in starting a series that has virtually no chance of being licensed over here and which is infrequently being fan translated. This is going to be another Baby Steps situation for me.

At any rate, it's a really good sports manga, arguably the best currently running in WSJ (and the best of the last few years, at that) and it's nice that the group working on it at least had the good grace to leave off at the end of the High School portion of the manga as opposed to the middle of an arc.
Yeah, Fallen Angels releases the scans for it in chunks, though they usually try to stay within 20 chapters of Japanese release (they are 16 chapters behind right now).  It's not ideal, but they release it regularly enough that it's not too much trouble, though I usually just go ahead and look at the raws since I'm impatient.  :sweat:

I'm surprised that Hinomaru still hasn't gotten an anime.  While sumo as a sport has declined in popularity in Japan and Hinomaru's volume sales are only average, the manga still has done very well in the magazine itself.  You'd think Shueisha would want to capitalize on that to some extent.  From what I've seen, the hardest part of getting people into Hinomaru is just the sport itself.  Once they actually start reading it, most people tend to love it.

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #1681 on: November 13, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »
I was waiting for this turn in MHA. Shigaraki has been turning himself around really well recently and now he looks like he's about to hit the next level.

Now where is Gran Torino? It's time for him to show up and finally make his entrance and bring this arc to a close.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #1682 on: November 14, 2017, 11:12:04 PM »
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #51 (November 14th, 2017):
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Lead CP)
1. We Never Learn
2. Haikyu!!
3. Dr. Stone
4. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
5. Black Clover
6. Hinomaru Zumou
7. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
The Promised Neverland (CP)
8. My Hero Academia
Golem Hearts (Not Ranked)
Tomatoy Lycopene (Not Ranked)
Boruto (Cover, CP)
Full Drive (Not Ranked)
Shudan! (CP)
9. Robot×Laserbeam
10. Gintama
11. Cross Account
12. Spring Weapon Number One
13. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
Tomatoy Lycopene

Odd structure for the series this week, but it looks like We Never Learn hit #1! Food Wars is last, but since it's all over the place it doesn't matter so much. The cluster of non-ranked series in the middle is a bit strange considering the remainder of the list below it is what you would otherwise expect. Next week One Piece gets the cover and Hinomaru and RobotxLaserbeam get color pages.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton