Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Hopefully that 50th anniversary celebration will include a western license.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on January 05, 2018, 12:59:27 AMHopefully that 50th anniversary celebration will include a western license.

A man can only dream....:imnothappy:

Spark Of Spirit

With Seven Seas putting out so much Go Nagai and Leiji Matsumoto material you'd figure a series like this would be next on the docket. I mean, they're even releasing Dragon Half this year.

I wouldn't count it out just yet.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, holy shit at that last chapter of Kimetsu no Yaiba.

Spoiler
I almost want to cheer, but I doubt that it's over yet. More than likely something will prevent him from completely cutting off the older brother demon's head, but just the way that he plays defeat and despair until that one moment of opportunity arises is fantastic, in which he unleashes his trademark head-butt on his enemy, catching him off guard and temporarily stunning him in order to give him an opportunity for a kill-strike. His sister and all of his friends are down and out, he's barely keeping it together himself and two of his fingers are broken, and his enemies are taunting him to mentally torture him before finishing him off. He doesn't give up hope. He throws it right back in that guy's smug, laughing face. I love it. This is the kind of stuff that I read shonen manga for.
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

That chapter was full on crazy. This battle has to be nearing the end now. There's not much left of our main characters at this point!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #7 (January 9th, 2018):
Bozebeats (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. One Piece
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K (CP)
3. Black Clover
4. Dr. Stone
5. The Promised Neverland
6. My Hero Academia
7. We Never Learn
Hinomaru Sumo (CP)
8. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
9. Gintama
10. Haikyu!!
11. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
12. Robot x Laserbeam
13. Cross Account (END)
14. Spring Weapon No. 1
15. Full Drive (23p)
16. Golem Hearts
Tomatoy Lycopene

And there goes Cross Account. Next week we have another new series and KnY is getting yet another color page (it's been getting a lot recently) not to mention Yuuna is getting a poster.  The rankings look the same as usual although it does seem like the most recent series won't be lasting very long. With Saiki's anime starting soon I think it's safe to say it will be pushed quite a bit and I think Yuuna will get the same when its anime starts too. Otherwise everything is more or less where it usually is.

VLordGTZ

And with Cross Account's death, nothing of value was lost.  :awesome:

Golem Hearts doesn't seem like it will end by issue 8, so I'm guessing that Full Drive will be the third series to get cancelled this round since the match Dan was playing is now over.  It's good to see KnY continue to do great, and it looks like things are performing as expected. 

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #8 (January 16th, 2018):
Act-Age (Cover/Lead CP, New Series)
1. Dr. Stone
2. The Promised Neverland
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
3. Black Clover
4. We Never Learn
5. My Hero Academia
6. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
7. Hinomaru Zumou
8. Spring Weapon No 1
Boruto (Not Ranked)
9. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
Bozebeats (CP, 25p)
10. Haikyu!!
11. Yuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
12. Robot x Laserbeam
13. Gintama
14. Full Drive
15. Golem Hearts
Tomatoy Lycopene

Looking at the recent ratings there are a few patterns emerging. The first is that Jump is really pushing Dr. Stone. It's good and I'm enjoying it, but I really do doubt it being placed so high is only based on popularity. It's sales are not very impressive. The other is that KnY getting so many color pages almost makes it seem like they're trying to squeeze more popularity out of it since it has reached the peak of what it can really achieve without an anime. I think that would be remedied by actually having one. If it doesn't have an anime by the end of the year I'll be very surprised. Everything else more of less falls where it usually does but those two series have been bugging me recently and I think that's what has been going on.

Next week Promised Neverland gets the cover and Act Age and HxH get color pages. Also, there's a We Never Learn poster, as well as a brand new one shot. I hope the new series this round fair better than the last batch. Doesn't look like any of them are very popular.

LumRanmaYasha

Really? I've heard lots of praise and buzz for Bozebeats so far. That one might have legs to it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on January 17, 2018, 02:04:37 AM
Really? I've heard lots of praise and buzz for Bozebeats so far. That one might have legs to it.
No, I meant the round before this batch. Those don't seem to have hit.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #9 (January 23rd, 2018):
The Promised Neverland (Cover/Lead Color Pages)
1. One Piece
Bozebeats (23p)
Hunter x Hunter (Resume, CP)
2. Black Clover
3. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Haikyuu!!
5. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
Act-Age (CP, 25p)
6. We Never Learn
7. My Hero Academia
8. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
Seishun!! Sanae no Daibouken (Oneshot)
9. Hinomaru Zumo
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
11. Spring Weapon No. 1
12. Gintama
13. Robot x Laserbeam
14. Full Drive
15. Golem Hearts
Tomatoy Lycopene

Gintama is getting a final arc climax cover next week! Final chapter! MHA and Food Wars are also getting color pages. I can't say anything about Bozebeats being put that high since Jump did the same with Hungry Marie early and that didn't turn into anything. Dr. Stone is absent this week. Everything else is about what you'd figure.

But this is it for Gintama! Say goodbye, everyone!

Spark Of Spirit

Not a big fan of the newest Black Clover reveal. He was heavily hinted at being a villain for so long that when it was revealed he wasn't it was actually a good reveal and made the character more endearing. Turning it around and making him evil after all sort of kills that whole aspect. Certainly Black Clover has never really done build up and drama well, but this was a real disappointment. I lost all interest in the character now. And when it's (apparently) involved with the main villain, that's a bad sign. Tabata has talent, but I think he might need a better or more fitting editor.

As for MHA, I know this chapter is supposed to be a big red herring about Aoyama, but I'm not convinced it is. That moment at the end was telling. That said, I do like him more as a character the more he appears so I do hope he gets more focus.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 24, 2018, 05:16:01 PM

Gintama is getting a final arc climax cover next week! Final chapter!

But this is it for Gintama! Say goodbye, everyone!

It's the "climax" of the arc but Gintama itself is not ending next week. That'll probably happen a few weeks after. Based on what's happening it makes sense that chapter'll have color pages since it'll conclude the battle, but there'll need to be a few more chapters for closure. I'll wager it'll end around April or whenever the next batch of new series start popping up.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 29, 2018, 07:13:35 PM
Not a big fan of the newest Black Clover reveal. He was heavily hinted at being a villain for so long that when it was revealed he wasn't it was actually a good reveal and made the character more endearing. Turning it around and making him evil after all sort of kills that whole aspect. Certainly Black Clover has never really done build up and drama well, but this was a real disappointment. I lost all interest in the character now. And when it's (apparently) involved with the main villain, that's a bad sign. Tabata has talent, but I think he might need a better or more fitting editor.

As for MHA, I know this chapter is supposed to be a big red herring about Aoyama, but I'm not convinced it is. That moment at the end was telling. That said, I do like him more as a character the more he appears so I do hope he gets more focus.

Yeah, I'm not big on this twist either. Though to be fair, we don't know if he's actually evil or not - just that he's torn between sides, and he's going to decide his loyalties based on this interaction between Licht and Julius. It appears that he and Licht are split personalities, so it's entirely plausible that he genuinely believed in doing good in his other persona.

Though speaking of changing editors, this was Tabata's author comment last week:

Since these chapters are finished two weeks in advance of publication, this was probably one of the last BC chapters Katayama-san worked on. So it'll be interesting to see how the series might change direction with this new editor.

And yeah, I think the stuff going on with Aoyama is going to become something bigger than the gag we got with this chapter. I don't know if that necessarily mean he's the traitor, but I can definitely see him being elevated from gag character to a more fleshed-out member of the cast.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #10 (January 30th, 2018):
Gintama (Cover/Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. The Promised Neverland
3. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Black Clover
My Hero Academia (CP)
Act-Age (Not Ranked)
5. Haikyu!!
Shokugeki no Soma (CP)
Bozebeats (Not Ranked)
6. Dr. Stone
Hunter x Hunter (Not Ranked)
7. We Never Learn
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
9. Hinomaru Zumou
10. Spring Weapon No. 1
11. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
12. Robot x Laserbeam
13. Full Drive
14. Golem Hearts
Tomatoy Lycopene

Next week We Never Learn is getting the cover. Also, yes, looks like Gintama didn't end with this chapter. Not much longer to go, though. I keep secretly hoping they're waiting for it to end so they can just slid World Trigger back into its spot. Silly, but that's just what I hope. Otherwise it's business as usual. I'm still curious as to what is going on with RxL. The time skip still seems odd to me.

VLordGTZ

My guess is that the Jump editors were concerned with RxL's future growth, so they wanted Fujimaki to take the series in a new direction.  Right now, it's selling about as well as WNL and Dr. Stone in terms of volume sales, but they might be concerned about the sales plateauing prematurely since the series doesn't have nearly as much buzz around it compared to the other two.  At the very least, I'm expecting it to last 10 or so volumes like Straighten Up and Samon did, but who knows what will happen after that.