Ratchet and Clank scored a movie deal

Started by Peanutbutter, April 23, 2013, 04:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Peanutbutter on May 02, 2016, 11:24:17 PM
At least the remake has gotten good reviews, but I really wish they had just focused on one or the other. I think them muddling each other is what may have led to the script not being up to critical standards.
The script was entirely rewritten by the director and someone else after they had creative differences with the game's writer (who wrote the original draft and left the production two years ago). There's no way of knowing if the original script was actually any better, but I can only assume it would have at least featured more character development and less pop culture jokes. Sadly, Rainmaker is just not a good company, and Kevin Munroe is just not a good writer or director.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 02, 2016, 11:33:12 PM
Anyway, I don't think the game affected the movie much, but it probably would have been better for the movie to just tell a whole new original story instead of trying to twist a video game storyline into a movie one. I'm not really a fan of the Sly movie remaking the story of the first game, either.
The movie reportedly made less than $5 million its opening weekend, debuting at #7 at the box office, behind Zootopia in its ninth week. Meanwhile, if VGChartz is to be believed (I know, I know), the game has made at least $20 million in its first two weeks. Huge disparity there.

Also, Sly Cooper 1 has even less of a story than Ratchet & Clank 1, so if that movie somehow isn't canceled, it will probably be terrible.

Quote from: Peanutbutter on May 02, 2016, 08:37:07 AM
Sadly it seems the movie was rushed out. If the game's cutscenes are all in the movie like I'm thinking. Sucks, there were plenty of ways Rainmaker could have made this work but Sony screwed up.
It was actually delayed for an entire year. Both the game and movie were ready to release last June.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Foggle on May 03, 2016, 12:52:33 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on May 02, 2016, 11:24:17 PM
At least the remake has gotten good reviews, but I really wish they had just focused on one or the other. I think them muddling each other is what may have led to the script not being up to critical standards.
The script was entirely rewritten by the director and someone else after they had creative differences with the game's writer (who wrote the original draft and left the production two years ago). There's no way of knowing if the original script was actually any better, but I can only assume it would have at least featured more character development and less pop culture jokes. Sadly, Rainmaker is just not a good company, and Kevin Munroe is just not a good writer or director.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 02, 2016, 11:33:12 PM
Anyway, I don't think the game affected the movie much, but it probably would have been better for the movie to just tell a whole new original story instead of trying to twist a video game storyline into a movie one. I'm not really a fan of the Sly movie remaking the story of the first game, either.
The movie reportedly made less than $5 million its opening weekend, debuting at #7 at the box office, behind Zootopia in its ninth week. Meanwhile, if VGChartz is to be believed (I know, I know), the game has made at least $20 million in its first two weeks. Huge disparity there.

Also, Sly Cooper 1 has even less of a story than Ratchet & Clank 1, so if that movie somehow isn't canceled, it will probably be terrible.

Quote from: Peanutbutter on May 02, 2016, 08:37:07 AM
Sadly it seems the movie was rushed out. If the game's cutscenes are all in the movie like I'm thinking. Sucks, there were plenty of ways Rainmaker could have made this work but Sony screwed up.
It was actually delayed for an entire year. Both the game and movie were ready to release last June.

The Sly movie might end up being bad, but not because of it having less of a story. It absolutely DOES have a story, one which if adapted right would make for a great movie but who knows with Rainmaker.

Foggle

Sly's story is a lot more video gamey, though. If they couldn't properly adapt the straightforward storyline of R&C1 into something befitting a film, they're gonna' have a rough time.

Spark Of Spirit

Really, Sly's story is go defeat 4 bad guys then defeat the big bad guy. That's the only reason he's trotting the globe.

That's why it really should have been an original story instead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 03, 2016, 02:36:07 PM
Really, Sly's story is go defeat 4 bad guys then defeat the big bad guy. That's the only reason he's trotting the globe.

That's why it really should have been an original story instead.

Its about him avenging his father, and taking back his family's legacy The Thevious Racoonus with the help of his childhood friends from the orphanage he grew up. There's plenty of ways to adapt that into an animated movie. The problem is Rainmaker may not be that studio.