FLCL

Started by DaemonCorps, December 30, 2010, 01:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaemonCorps

Yes, like most stuff anime it looks like retailers have beat any official announcements for release dates.

For those not in the know FLCL, the 6 episode OVA that made quite a name for itself back in adult swim's more anime-friendly days is finally getting its well deserved re-release after a couple years of being stuck as an out-of-print series and owned by a dead US distribution company. Currently Rightstuff as well as amazon have listed both a DVD and Blu-Ray release for February 22, 2011 for $40 retail and around $30 on their sites for either DVD or BR copy. With some spankin' new cover art t'boot:

While $30 is way more than expected for a mere 6 episodes, I'm personally hoping for the same if not more special features than the previous DVD release to justify such a price. Doing some quick searches online, it looks like the older release (well worthy of its title of the "Ultimate Edition DVD Release") had not only an extra disc with features (though I've yet to find a site that goes into further detail than just that) but also director's commentary for each episode as well as a booklet with interviews, storyboards and the like. Translation: FUNimation better step up their game for this release or I'll be forced to hunt down this older set. eBay tells me the older set's going for $46 which considering the amount of stuff alongside the episodes you'd be getting is well worth the additional $16.

Still, here's to hoping this new release isn't a measly bare-bones release.

Neomysterion X. Prime

It's great to see Fooly Cooly/FLCL on DVD! That was one of my all-time favourites in the anime realm. Thanks for the news! :)

Veggie

I am so getting this! :O

But one thing that kinda bugs me about the Blu-Ray version (actually, Blu-Rays in general) is the obnoxious blue section with the logo on the top half of the cover. It makes the artwork look messy, imo. I know it's to differentiate between Blu-Ray and DVD, but there's gotta be a better way to show it.

LumRanmaYasha

The title for this thread is quite outdated, I know, but I honestly didn't think there was need to make a whole new FLCL thread. Someone should just re-name this one. (The only one outdated is Gainax Mister! - Evil Mod L.D.)

Anyways, Production I.G. has acquired the rights to FLCL and are considering a "new anime remake" of it. I personally don't think FLCL needs to be re-made, but I could see potential in one if it's done right. It's a moot point for the moment, I suppose, since they are only considering it right now, and are not in the process of making it. They might decide to not go through with one and do other things with the IP, who knows? Still, I don't think it'd be a bad thing if they attempted one, certainly not to the extent that warrants getting worked up about it like I've been seeing a lot of people do (and this news was only just announced today!).

Daikun

Toonami is co-producing the remake. Twelve episodes split up into two seasons.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daikun on March 24, 2016, 04:43:36 PM
Toonami is co-producing the remake. Twelve episodes split up into two seasons.
It's apparently not a remake:

QuoteIn the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

But why did Haruko return to Earth? What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota? And where did the human-type robot 'Canti' go?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

:SHOCK: Is anything not getting a sequel these days? And I mean that in a good way, for once.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Update from DeMarco's Twitter!

-Original voice cast returns.
-The Pillows are back to do the soundtrack.
-The original director and Gainax's co-founder are on board.

Daikun

Daikun

gunswordfist

A trailer for 2 seasons? :wth:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 03, 2017, 08:14:40 PMA trailer for 2 seasons? :wth:

That was the announcement last year.

Daikun

The new seasons should premiere in the Summer.

Also, C2E2 will be holding a sneak preview for the new season. Buy tickets here if you wish to attend. The convention will last from April 6-8.

Daikun

Daikun

While Toonami got the season 3 premiere this past weekend, season 2 made its premiere at C2E2. Tyler from TDA recaps:

QuoteAt Chicago's C2E2 convention, Adult Swim and Production IG premiered episode 1 of FLCL Progressive for the first time!
Without giving much away, it begins with a sequence worthy of being a grand finale, yet perfectly morphs into an introduction to the new characters and the FLCL "formula", if one could possibly be derived.
Jason DeMarco, the Production IG crew (Maki Terashima-Furuta and Mitsuhisa Ishikawa), and Kari Wahlgren stated and joked repeatedly that production has been challenging and behind schedule, while showing gratitude toward the attention to detail and freedom they've had during the process.
FLCL Progressive premiers in June, and you're going to like it.