Things That Bother You About Anime

Started by gunswordfist, May 12, 2013, 02:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Well, I can at least agree that the original has a pretty good dub. Though, it's hardly perfect itself, so I don't see why one'd be so harsh on dubs for other series in comparison.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dragon Ball Z's English dubs (all of them) are pretty awful, including FUNimation's dub. Even Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat have openly admitted this before. Dragon Ball (Z) Kai's English dub is excellent, and completely makes up for the crappy dubs of the past. Unfortunately, Kai isn't exactly an ideal director's cut of the original show like it should have been, but the dub is easily the best way to watch it for me.

The original Dragon Ball's FUNimation dub, much like YYH, sounds a tad dated with some of the less talented VAs and the voices of the minor characters, but it's still a pretty solid dub if you can look past some of the cringe-worthy bits of English voice-acting and dialogue that crop up from time to time.

Cowboy Bebop has an excellent dub. I honestly can't fathom how anyone who's not a flat-out weeaboo would say otherwise.

Avaitor

I can think of one person who dislikes both dubs. :thinkin:
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't stand it when people make generalizations about stuff. Like, people who say that they stopped liking YYH after the tournament arc started and all tournament arcs are just boring, mindless fighting. It doesn't seem to matter that actually viewing the arc shows that there is more plot to it than expected, and the fights themselves are anything but mindless.

Another example is assuming that One Piece is only appealing to little kids because its a shonen and has a more cartoony art-style. In reality the art-style is intentionally wacky because Oda wanted to take full advantage of the comic book medium and not be constrained by any hard rules on how his world or characters had to look. The style actually works really well, and in no way does it diminish the quality of the story or characters. I find it especially hypocritical to criticize One Piece so much but then praise shows like TTGL or Kill La Kill, personally, which are just as out there, if not more so.

A third example is people assuming that Digimon as a franchise is only made to sell toys, and people only like animated series out of nostalgia. I've already explained in detail how Digimon Adventure and Tamers are great, well-intentioned shows that are perfect for kids and still entertaining for adults who appreciate some of their more mature subtext. In that way, it does on a drama level what Animaniacs does on a comedy level. The most recent movie also proves how genuinely great Digimon can be when there's effort behind it. Mamoru Hosoda and Chiaki J. Konaka got their start in the medium of animation with this franchise. It's not much different from how some of Miyazaki's earliest work was with the Lupin III franchise.

"That's so old and dated," annoys me as well. There are many people who will refuse to read anything by Osamu Tezuka or before the 90's in general because they believe that something older is inferior and less relevant by today. This line of thinking is especially stupid because inevitably everything will become old after time, including stuff that you like right now. It doesn't mean that truly great works won't still hold up for future generations.

And as an extension of that, it really frustrates me how close-minded some anime fans are when it comes to remakes. A lot of people will tell you that Hunter X Hunter 2011 is better than 1999 because its newer. I enjoy the 2011 series, but on a level of being a good adaptation, 1999 is far superior for what it does cover. People will just resonate more with what's more popular, though. The same thing happened with FMA after Brotherhood came out. A ton of people claimed to love the first anime, but many of those same people suddenly hated it once everyone was raving about the new one because it was closer to the manga. This is part of the reason why the prospect of a Trigun remake rubs me the wrong way. It would be neat to see an adaptation that's faithful to the manga, but the anime that we have is still great, and I don't want to see a bunch of idiots trashing it as soon as a modern anime comes out.

gunswordfist

I don't care what those losers think, I want my Trigun remake.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 21, 2015, 09:11:10 PM
I can't stand it when people make generalizations about stuff. Like, people who say that they stopped liking YYH after the tournament arc started and all tournament arcs are just boring, mindless fighting. It doesn't seem to matter that actually viewing the arc shows that there is more plot to it than expected, and the fights themselves are anything but mindless.

Another example is assuming that One Piece is only appealing to little kids because its a shonen and has a more cartoony art-style. In reality the art-style is intentionally wacky because Oda wanted to take full advantage of the comic book medium and not be constrained by any hard rules on how his world or characters had to look. The style actually works really well, and in no way does it diminish the quality of the story or characters. I find it especially hypocritical to criticize One Piece so much but then praise shows like TTGL or Kill La Kill, personally, which are just as out there, if not more so.

A third example is people assuming that Digimon as a franchise is only made to sell toys, and people only like animated series out of nostalgia. I've already explained in detail how Digimon Adventure and Tamers are great, well-intentioned shows that are perfect for kids and still entertaining for adults who appreciate some of their more mature subtext. In that way, it does on a drama level what Animaniacs does on a comedy level. The most recent movie also proves how genuinely great Digimon can be when there's effort behind it. Mamoru Hosoda and Chiaki J. Konaka got their start in the medium of animation with this franchise. It's not much different from how some of Miyazaki's earliest work was with the Lupin III franchise.

"That's so old and dated," annoys me as well. There are many people who will refuse to read anything by Osamu Tezuka or before the 90's in general because they believe that something older is inferior and less relevant by today. This line of thinking is especially stupid because inevitably everything will become old after time, including stuff that you like right now. It doesn't mean that truly great works won't still hold up for future generations.

And as an extension of that, it really frustrates me how close-minded some anime fans are when it comes to remakes. A lot of people will tell you that Hunter X Hunter 2011 is better than 1999 because its newer. I enjoy the 2011 series, but on a level of being a good adaptation, 1999 is far superior for what it does cover. People will just resonate more with what's more popular, though. The same thing happened with FMA after Brotherhood came out. A ton of people claimed to love the first anime, but many of those same people suddenly hated it once everyone was raving about the new one because it was closer to the manga. This is part of the reason why the prospect of a Trigun remake rubs me the wrong way. It would be neat to see an adaptation that's faithful to the manga, but the anime that we have is still great, and I don't want to see a bunch of idiots trashing it as soon as a modern anime comes out.

I agree with all of those statements 100%. People dismissing a series because the artwork looks too "cartoony" or "old" in particular annoys me. I love the WMR guys, but it really annoyed recently when RolloT refused to read the Saint Seiya Jump Back because the art style looked too old, and basically didn't read Cross Game at all for the same reason and thus unable to provide any actual critical thoughts or discussion on the series (leaving Nik to just rant for 30 minutes about why he hates Adachi's tropes...easily one of the most unbalanced and least insightful reviews they've done, imo).

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on November 22, 2015, 12:40:48 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on November 21, 2015, 10:58:25 PM
+1
+2

But really, read Maximum already, you pleebs.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 21, 2015, 09:11:10 PMA third example is people assuming that Digimon as a franchise is only made to sell toys, and people only like animated series out of nostalgia. I've already explained in detail how Digimon Adventure and Tamers are great, well-intentioned shows that are perfect for kids and still entertaining for adults who appreciate some of their more mature subtext. In that way, it does on a drama level what Animaniacs does on a comedy level. The most recent movie also proves how genuinely great Digimon can be when there's effort behind it. Mamoru Hosoda and Chiaki J. Konaka got their start in the medium of animation with this franchise. It's not much different from how some of Miyazaki's earliest work was with the Lupin III franchise.
The toy argument has always baffled me. Did you play as toys when you were a kid? You did? Then what did you actually DO with those toys when you played with them? You used your imagination to create stories involving those characters you loved so much? Then wasn't that the whole point of the toys in the first place?

The toy argument doesn't wash with me when the whole point is whether the series in question is GOOD or not. Why it exists matters very little at the end of the day.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 21, 2015, 09:11:10 PM"That's so old and dated," annoys me as well. There are many people who will refuse to read anything by Osamu Tezuka or before the 90's in general because they believe that something older is inferior and less relevant by today. This line of thinking is especially stupid because inevitably everything will become old after time, including stuff that you like right now. It doesn't mean that truly great works won't still hold up for future generations.
This is like that old trope of kids not being able to watch things older than themselves. I guess I couldn't have liked Rocky & Bullwinkle, 60s Batman, or Looney Tunes as a kid then. I don't know why there is such an ageism prevalent out there in entertainment, because I never saw it until I came onto the internet.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 21, 2015, 09:11:10 PMAnd as an extension of that, it really frustrates me how close-minded some anime fans are when it comes to remakes. A lot of people will tell you that Hunter X Hunter 2011 is better than 1999 because its newer. I enjoy the 2011 series, but on a level of being a good adaptation, 1999 is far superior for what it does cover. People will just resonate more with what's more popular, though. The same thing happened with FMA after Brotherhood came out. A ton of people claimed to love the first anime, but many of those same people suddenly hated it once everyone was raving about the new one because it was closer to the manga. This is part of the reason why the prospect of a Trigun remake rubs me the wrong way. It would be neat to see an adaptation that's faithful to the manga, but the anime that we have is still great, and I don't want to see a bunch of idiots trashing it as soon as a modern anime comes out.
I still remember the FMA reaction. The original series was huge with anime fans, and even if I wasn't crazy about I remember how big it was. Sure there were some people that wanted to see a series closer to the manga, but for the most part they were fine with the anime being different from the manga.

Then Brotherhood came out and everything got nasty. I don't even care which series is the better, but the fanbase got really volatile all of a sudden. Any time FMA is ever brought up in a discussion now, the topic devolves into insults over fans who prefer one or the other.

As much as I don't really want a Trigun remake (especially for fear of the same idiocy), I really hope Trigun fans aren't as bad as FMA fans in keeping their composure and sense about them if one is ever announced. Sailor Moon Crystal was more or less a bust in the adaption sense so that fanbase never really had that argument, but nothing really compares to the FMA fanbase.

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 22, 2015, 04:52:51 PMI agree with all of those statements 100%. People dismissing a series because the artwork looks too "cartoony" or "old" in particular annoys me. I love the WMR guys, but it really annoyed recently when RolloT refused to read the Saint Seiya Jump Back because the art style looked too old, and basically didn't read Cross Game at all for the same reason and thus unable to provide any actual critical thoughts or discussion on the series (leaving Nik to just rant for 30 minutes about why he hates Adachi's tropes...easily one of the most unbalanced and least insightful reviews they've done, imo).
It's because of these anime and manga fans, by the way, that we can never got old stuff licensed anymore. Back in the late 90s and early 00s, when anime was at its peak popularity we got all sorts of licenses of old series that would never have a chance nowadays. They'll look at Ashita no Joe's artstyle and groan wondering where all the bishounen are, just like when they saw Case Closed on Adult Swim and hated that the art style wasn't modern enough.

But it's worse now. No doubt about that. In the early 00s, Flame of Recca, a manga then half a decade old, sold well enough to have a full release over here. Let's also not forget that sports series like Slam Dunk and Whistle! and more obscure stuff like Firefighter Daigo got full series releases over here while Viz only just licensed Kuroko's Basketball and Haikyu! THIS YEAR despite them being two of the most popular sports manga in years. Nowadays, there are series that have to have planned releases because they are literally two or three years out of date and fans will not buy them because of it. This is why I hope Viz will take a chance on the Ushio & Tora manga and Fujita's other works because since he missed the first wave of manga and anime popularity his works might never get a chance over here.

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 22, 2015, 04:52:51 PM
Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on November 22, 2015, 12:40:48 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on November 21, 2015, 10:58:25 PM
+1
+2

But really, read Maximum already, you pleebs.
I'd be good with an OVA or movie that covers the unadapted material in a new way. I just don't really see the need for a new anime. Without Kuroda or Nishimura I can't find myself being as engaged.

Especially when there are series like Kenshin that have never even been properly completed in anime form and series like Karakuri Circus that have never gotten one at all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Livio deserves to be animated.  :bleh:

I agree that we don't "need" a Maximum anime because the original anime does hit all the beats the manga does despite being made a decade before it ended. But I still would like to see one, because I enjoy that version of the story and would like to see a lot of it animated. In addition, the series has some of my favorite fights in manga, despite how confusing Nightow can be with his artwork sometimes. I have to imagine they'd be even better in animated form, given a good director and budget to work with. But I would also just be satisfied just to have the Wolfwood arc animated as an OVA series or movie, since that is the one part of the manga I think can work re-appropriated into the anime continuity.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 23, 2015, 09:21:50 AM
I still remember the FMA reaction. The original series was huge with anime fans, and even if I wasn't crazy about I remember how big it was. Sure there were some people that wanted to see a series closer to the manga, but for the most part they were fine with the anime being different from the manga.

Then Brotherhood came out and everything got nasty. I don't even care which series is the better, but the fanbase got really volatile all of a sudden. Any time FMA is ever brought up in a discussion now, the topic devolves into insults over fans who prefer one or the other.

I roll my eyes whenever I see a "which is better" FMA discussion start up. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but neither is objectively superior to the other. You can prefer one without bashing or hating on the other. Silver Spoon is better than the both of them anyways.  :humhumhum:

But it's worse now. No doubt about that. In the early 00s, Flame of Recca, a manga then half a decade old, sold well enough to have a full release over here. Let's also not forget that sports series like Slam Dunk and Whistle! and more obscure stuff like Firefighter Daigo got full series releases over here while Viz only just licensed Kuroko's Basketball and Haikyu! THIS YEAR despite them being two of the most popular sports manga in years. Nowadays, there are series that have to have planned releases because they are literally two or three years out of date and fans will not buy them because of it. This is why I hope Viz will take a chance on the Ushio & Tora manga and Fujita's other works because since he missed the first wave of manga and anime popularity his works might never get a chance over here.

Though, it should be pointed out that the original Gustoon release of Slam Dunk was a bust, and neither it or Whistle or even stuff like Prince of Tennis actually sold very well for Viz. Firefighter Daigo is notorious as one of the worst selling english-released manga of all time, with only about 2,000 copies of the 20-volume series sold, which are abysmal numbers. It's presumed that only reason Viz released that series in full is because of contractual obligations, and released all of the former series as more of a labor of love than anything else. Sports anime/manga have never really sold that well, and I think it's more because people dismiss the genre so much then because of their artwork or age. But with the resurgence of the genre these days, I think Viz is more willing to give some series a chance.

gunswordfist

I'd be good with an OVA or movie that covers the unadapted material in a new way. I just don't really see the need for a new anime. Without Kuroda or Nishimura I can't find myself being as engaged.

Especially when there are series like Kenshin that have never even been properly completed in anime form and series like Karakuri Circus that have never gotten one at all.
And I still hate this idea of yours. I don't want a movie or OVA or whatever that starts after the end of the Trigun anime, I want a full fledged anime remake series starting from the beginning.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't wait to see how you'd react to the legions of idiots who would claim that the original Trigun anime is crap once a new one comes out that's closer to the manga. :humhumhum:

gunswordfist

I'll just be slightly annoyed while having two versions of the same series, just like how it is with HXH 1999 and 2011 :kabapu:

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 23, 2015, 02:21:44 PM
I roll my eyes whenever I see a "which is better" FMA discussion start up. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but neither is objectively superior to the other. You can prefer one without bashing or hating on the other. Silver Spoon is better than the both of them anyways.  :humhumhum:
Agreed  :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 23, 2015, 02:38:52 PM
I can't wait to see how you'd react to the legions of idiots who would claim that the original Trigun anime is crap once a new one comes out that's closer to the manga. :humhumhum:
I'm pretty sure he loves Brotherhood and hates the original anime, so he'd probably jump ship on Trigun, too.  :P

I'm kidding. I know he likes both.

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 23, 2015, 02:32:11 PM

And I still hate this idea of yours. I don't want a movie or OVA or whatever that starts after the end of the Trigun anime, I want a full fledged anime remake series starting from the beginning.
If you want a Trigun: Brotherhood situation, then that's on you. If it's made then I'm glad for the fans that want it. I am uninterested. I think you'd be surprised about how many choices Nishimura and Kuroda made to improve on the source material that would be totally missing. Unless they got the BBB staff involved, I can't see myself sitting up for a Trigun remake every week.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton