Things That Bother You About Anime

Started by gunswordfist, May 12, 2013, 02:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I checked through all the pages and saw that this thread hasn't been made yet.

This is what I wanted to say in it and something I've been meaning to say for years: I hate it when people try to call Western cartoons made by Korean studios anime. Yes, it's as stupid as it sounds. The bigger problem I find with this is no one will label anything Korean animation but if it looks like anime then some will call it anime. So there goes my little rant. :sweat:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 12, 2013, 02:50:05 PM
This is what I wanted to say in it and something I've been meaning to say for years: I hate it when people try to call Western cartoons made by Korean studios anime. Yes, it's as stupid as it sounds. The bigger problem I find with this is no one will label anything Korean animation but if it looks like anime then some will call it anime. So there goes my little rant. :sweat:
This actually bothers me too. I never understood why some people can't just except "Made in Japan=Anime".

Anywho:

Quote from: fantastic
Quote from: HURRDURRANIME
"We don't have a choice... We have to use... THAT."
"It's as I feared... It's THAT GUY."
"It can't be helped."
"Wh-what are you doing? Pervert..."
"Ehhhhhhh!?" -camera pans to the sky-
-Shot of a gigantic cloud over a mountain range with the sound of cicadas-
"I'm the Student Council President! I can do anything I want!"
"If you go outside in the rain, you'll catch a cold!" -stand in the rain in anime, almost die of a fever-
-MC bumps into a megane female- "S-sumimasen desuuuuu..." -runs off (kyaa!)-
"I want to protect him/her/it/them!"
"What's wrong?" "Oh, i-it's nothing..." -stomach growls- -nervous laughter-
"Welcome, new Transfer Student! Your seat is next to the window, second from the back row."
-Beach Episode
-Onsen Episode
-Culture Festival Episode
-Drink beverage- "PHHHUAAAAAAH!"
-Put down heavy object- "Nnnshotto..."
-MC eats lunch on the roof
"Why? Why are you so much stronger than me?" "Because I have FRIENDS!"
"I-it's not like I like you or anything... Don't get the wrong idea!"
-Running to school with toast in my mouth HURRRRRR-
-Take bite of food- "OIIIISHIIIIII!!!!!!" -hand on cheek, blush-
"Kono bangumi wa, goran no sponsa teikyou de okurishimasu."
Running in the OP/ED
"I want to live!"
"An ancient evil has awakened..."
Fucking. Anime.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on May 12, 2013, 06:25:41 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 12, 2013, 02:50:05 PM
I hate it when people try to call Western cartoons made by Korean studios anime. Yes, it's as stupid as it sounds.
This actually bothers me too. I never understood why some people can't just except "Made in Japan=Anime".

Anywho:

Quote from: fantastic
Quote from: HURRDURRANIME
"We don't have a choice... We have to use... THAT."
"It's as I feared... It's THAT GUY."
"It can't be helped."
"Wh-what are you doing? Pervert..."
"Ehhhhhhh!?" -camera pans to the sky-
-Shot of a gigantic cloud over a mountain range with the sound of cicadas-
"I'm the Student Council President! I can do anything I want!"
"If you go outside in the rain, you'll catch a cold!" -stand in the rain in anime, almost die of a fever-
-MC bumps into a megane female- "S-sumimasen desuuuuu..." -runs off (kyaa!)-
"I want to protect him/her/it/them!"
"What's wrong?" "Oh, i-it's nothing..." -stomach growls- -nervous laughter-
"Welcome, new Transfer Student! Your seat is next to the window, second from the back row."
-Beach Episode
-Onsen Episode
-Culture Festival Episode
-Drink beverage- "PHHHUAAAAAAH!"
-Put down heavy object- "Nnnshotto..."
-MC eats lunch on the roof
"Why? Why are you so much stronger than me?" "Because I have FRIENDS!"
"I-it's not like I like you or anything... Don't get the wrong idea!"
-Running to school with toast in my mouth HURRRRRR-
-Take bite of food- "OIIIISHIIIIII!!!!!!" -hand on cheek, blush-
"Kono bangumi wa, goran no sponsa teikyou de okurishimasu."
Running in the OP/ED
"I want to live!"
"An ancient evil has awakened..."
Fucking. Anime.

:worship:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah....damn....I think you just nailed every annoying anime cliche in existence right there (or whoever originally wrote up that post).

TheEclecticDude

^Sums it up pretty well

Also, I always get miffed at shows where it has a good idea/premise but then wap about and does nothing interesting with it (Shattered Angels for an example).

Rynnec

Quote from: TheEclecticDude on May 12, 2013, 08:33:26 PM
^Sums it up pretty well

Also, I always get miffed at shows where it has a good idea/premise but then wap about and does nothing interesting with it (Shattered Angels for an example).

Same applies to Kannazuki no Miko too. A show with yuri and mecha should not be so...average.

TheEclecticDude

Yeah, have yet to see that show. Doubt I will, given how much I didn't care for Shattered Angels.

Rynnec

The general consensus is that it's better than SA, but that supposedly isn't saying much. Basically, if you didn't care for Kaon and Himiko in SA, you won't care much for KnM either.

LumRanmaYasha

Well...okay, to be fair some anime shows have good onsen, beach, and culture festival episodes. At least Ranma 1/2 and Sgt. Frog did for the former two, and School Rumble did for all three. But in 99% of cases, they are all pretty predictable and annoying to watch, just like how most anime comedies out there are anyway.

TheEclecticDude

Well to be fair, Kaon and Himiko were the closest to being interesting characters, but they felt underdeveloped.

Peanutbutter

That cliche dialogue list is missing something crucial. A line of exposition about how someone's attack works, which happens regardless if it uses some form of magical energy or if someone does gymnastics. If we've already been given an explanation about how a particular anime universe's energy works, and if we can clearly see what someone is using that energy for; then please don't disrupt the action by telling us about. Every. Single. Time.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's actually not solely an anime/manga cliche, though. The whole idea of announcing attack names and explaining technique and such can also be seen in certain Japanese films as well as in some of the more over-the-top Chinenes and Korean martial arts films. Actually, Chinese marital arts films may have been what inspired that trend in regard to describing techniques. A Chinese comedy that I have watched called The God of Cookery even parodies that cliche, and that movie is over 15 years old.

Nel_Annette

I get that those explanations were always for the audience's sake, but in-universe, that never made sense beyond bragging. Your enemy doesn't know how your attack works? Fantastic! Use that confusion to tear their ass apart!

Of course, now that I've countered your attack, allow me to explain the weaknesses in your attack and how I was able to counter it!  :light:

Dr. Insomniac

gunswordfist

:D@ Running in the OP/ED. That's dead on.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody