Things That Bother You About Anime

Started by gunswordfist, May 12, 2013, 02:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEclecticDude

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 12, 2013, 11:27:53 PM
:D@ Running in the OP/ED. That's dead on.

That happens so often that I am not really bothered by it.

The Shadow Gentleman

gunswordfist

Quote from: TheEclecticDude on May 13, 2013, 12:03:52 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 12, 2013, 11:27:53 PM
:D@ Running in the OP/ED. That's dead on.

That happens so often that I am not really bothered by it.
I'm not bothered in the slightest. It's just that I was laughing at how I didn't notice something so common until he pointed it out with that quote.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 12, 2013, 09:21:15 PM
Well...okay, to be fair some anime shows have good onsen, beach, and culture festival episodes. At least Ranma 1/2 and Sgt. Frog did for the former two, and School Rumble did for all three. But in 99% of cases, they are all pretty predictable and annoying to watch, just like how most anime comedies out there are anyway.
Excel Saga manga has the best onsen chapter(s) ever.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 12, 2013, 11:11:22 PM
The obsession with purity.

http://flawfinder.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/screen-shot-2013-05-12-at-8-06-07-am.png
Dat quality... :immad:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on May 12, 2013, 10:31:48 PM
I get that those explanations were always for the audience's sake, but in-universe, that never made sense beyond bragging. Your enemy doesn't know how your attack works? Fantastic! Use that confusion to tear their ass apart!

Of course, now that I've countered your attack, allow me to explain the weaknesses in your attack and how I was able to counter it!
  :light:
Which ALWAYS happens.

I always liked how in some anime like YYH how it would usually get explained after the enemy was dying, defeated, or already dead instead of "oh so that's how you did it, well it won't work again!" which is really irritating.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 13, 2013, 01:04:24 PM
Quote from: Nel_Annette on May 12, 2013, 10:31:48 PM
I get that those explanations were always for the audience's sake, but in-universe, that never made sense beyond bragging. Your enemy doesn't know how your attack works? Fantastic! Use that confusion to tear their ass apart!

Of course, now that I've countered your attack, allow me to explain the weaknesses in your attack and how I was able to counter it!
  :light:
Which ALWAYS happens.

I always liked how in some anime like YYH how it would usually get explained after the enemy was dying, defeated, or already dead instead of "oh so that's how you did it, well it won't work again!" which is really irritating.
Oh yeah like when Hiei defeated the beast guy or any of Kurama's cruel kills.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on May 13, 2013, 11:10:43 AM
Excel Saga manga has the best onsen chapter(s) ever.

Well, of course. Excel Saga has the best everything ever. ;)

(well, maybe not in sheer insanity and randomness. Nothing tops ol' Bobobo when it comes to those...)

You know what I hate in anime fights? When almost 70% of the time most of it is just freaking talking or commentary by useless bystanders. Dragonball Z was especially bad at this, and honestly, almost every long-running fighting-based title is too. When I'm watching an action-oriented anime, I want to watch a fight, not people talking about fighting or about a fight...

I also hate pans and zooms. Every anime title does this in some capacity, but of course long-running titles have this in spades and while I like more of those kinds of shows then most people here, I consider pans and zooms just really lazy ways to indicate motion without actually animating anything. Sometimes, when it is used effectively enough like in Ranma 1/2 or the original Dragonball anime I can overlook them, but when it is overused like in Naruto or InuYasha I get extremely irritated and pissed off.

I hate the "but you just said..." and "but you are yourself doing..." kind of jokes, because they just are never funny. In fact, the overreaction in most cases when the line is said kills any humor that could be found in the notion by being super annoying. I know the Japanese style of humor is based on the concept of contradictions or whatever, but that shit is just so overused it becomes tremendously grating on the ears. Typical anime overreactions annoy me too in the same regard.

I hate jokes centered around big breasts or short skirts or anything along the like. The kind of shit that happens in a Bleach "comedy" scene centering around Rangiku, or your run-of-the-mill fanservice/harem show. Fanservice itself annoys me because it's a lazy excuse to not produce a better plot or character by instead devoting time pandering to the lowest common denominator. Of all the tropes that I hate in anime, this one is easily the one I hate the most.

Huh. I guess I hate a lot of things that happen in anime shows. Ironic considering 8/10ths of my top ten favorite shows are anime.  :P :D

Edit: Oh, I totally forgot about Tsunderes. Fuck Tsunderes. They suck.

(At least the general depictions of them do. Characters like Akane and Eri work because in Akane's case Ranma actually does something rude or inconsiderate to her first before she sends him flying, and the one of the main sources of jokes in the series is that Akane and Ranma both clearly like each other mutually, but they are too shy and proud to admit it outright and continue to do what they always do because habit is easier to them than admitting their feelings for each other, and Eri is....uh...well Eri is actually a more complex character in general and does actually try to get closer to Harima as the series progresses but is impeded by Harima's obliviousness and various misunderstandings about her feelings for him, which irritates her and causes her tsundere-esque behavior around him.)

Rynnec

QuoteOh, I totally forgot about Tsunderes. Fuck Tsunderes. They suck

Shana clones especially.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm honestly not sure what a Shana clone is because I've never watched Shakugan no Shana and likely never will, but I probably do hate that type of tsundere too.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 13, 2013, 05:08:25 PM
I'm honestly not sure what a Shana clone is because I've never watched Shakugan no Shana and likely never will, but I probably do hate that type of tsundere too.
Louise from Zero no Tsukaima.

LumRanmaYasha

Is that The Familiar of Zero? I remember watching that show a couple years ago and hating all it's characters, so yeah, if so I guess I do hate Shana clones.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually don't mind the side-commentary in anime fights. To me its a much more reasonable alternative to having the actual characters fighting explaining their attacks and strategy, which as Nel pointed out makes no sense at all since its giving their opponent the perfect means to counter them. I tend to sort of look as the side-commentary as a fighting anime's version of sports commentating, basically calling a match and explaining the strategy for general audiences so that you see that there is an elements of wits to the battle and so that the action doesn't just come off as mindless and thoughtless.

One thing I hate seeing in many shonen battle fights that never seems to bother anybody else is when the characters just pull new attacks out of their ass. I mean, yes, its implied that they knew that attack for a while and presumably saved it for a time when they needed it, but to the viewer its obvious that the mangaka or writers for the anime just lazily threw in a random new attack that was perfect for helping them win a certain fight or getting them out of a certain situation without having to carefully have them strategically use the powers you as the viewer already know that they have. Or, at least in some cases, better writing will have it hinted that certain characters have certain abilities that they can utilize. But more often than not I find that many mangaka seem to follow what I like to call the Deus Ex Machina attack trend, in which they just have their characters train off-screen and have some attack that powers them up for a limited amount of time or something to help them save the day with relative ease. Naruto is a big offender of this, IMO, as you constantly have new (and oddly very specific) Jutsus being thrown at you out the wazoo, and other shonen manga like Beelzebub and such use cheap tactics like this as well.

That's another thing that I like about Togashi's manga. With both YYH and HXH, usually he establishes what powers and abilities a character has, and hints and potential uses for them, and then most of the time he cleverly has them use what they already know, and what you as the viewer already know that they can do, in very creative and tactical ways to overcome tough situations, which makes the strategies feel more interesting and the resolution of battles feel more rewarding.

LumRanmaYasha

Eh, side commentary makes more sense and is better than in-battle talking for sure, but when it goes on too long I get annoyed.

I agree with you about random new attacks in powerup-type fighting anime. Bleach is worse at that kind of shit than Naruto because Kubo creates random and nonsensical powerups for his characters just so they can win fights and contradicts his own statements of their capabilities with ass-pulling crap as well. And, to be honest, I never did like the way Gear 2 and a couple of the Strawhat Crew's techniques were introduced in One Piece in the Enies Lobby arc. Sanji's fire-kick thing is still something I don't get how he was able to perfect before the arc. At least Gear 2 and Gear 3 were sort of explained. But, honestly, I don't really read the more generic titles like Beezlebub so I don't get all that annoyed by this trope too often. Most of the time in stuff I've read like Dragonball, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Toriko the powerups came off pretty believably even if sometimes like the Spirit Bomb or the Darkness Flame they seemingly came out of nowhere, although they are explained later.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Spirit Bomb was hinted at after Goku finished his training with King Kai, in which they clearly acknowledged the technique. Also, the ability itself had its limitation of a significant charge-up time, so I didn't mind it as all as it was hardly an immediate Deus Ex Machina attack, and took both strategy and a lot of luck to pull off on Vegeta, so I really had no problems with that attack.

Dragon of the Darkness Flame did basically come out of nowhere, but it was one of the few times that Togashi ever did anything like that. Its also a cool attack that was used in interesting ways in later fights, so I can forgive Togashi for doing that. Hunter X Hunter has a case of having Togashi pull new attacks out of his ass, but to be fair that was mostly only in the Chimera Ant arc toward the climax, and even then if you really think about it, most of those characters who had those random new attacks ended up losing their respective battles in one way or another, anyways. The one thing I can't forgive, though, is that complete Deus Ex Machina power-up that Togashi gave to Gon. That was just flat-out bad writing (as was Alluka's ability to totally undo the negative effects of that power-up in the Election arc).

LumRanmaYasha

Oh, I wasn't ever annoyed with the Spirit Bomb or Darkness Flame ever, I was just saying I felt they came out of nowhere. Ultimately I liked them because, like you said, the Spirit Bomb is a last resort gamble that requires lots of time and energy to perform and isn't a deux-ex, while the Darkness Flame had some consequences for Hiei and led to a huge moment of awesome in his fight with Bui.

But yeah, Gon's transformation and Alluka's power. That shit was terrible. Gon beat Neferpitou with some dumbass powerup he can't ever do again and got off completely scott-free for it in the end. It's a good thing that fight didn't drag, at least.